View previous topic | View next topic

the pope's testicles...

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

zoewaterman
381912.  Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote

hey, was just wondering, does anyone remember an episode of QI where they were discussing a latin phrase that was used when a new pope was elected. cant remember exactly but it was something like the pope has testicles. to make sure he was male?
sorry if I am in the wrong forum, its my first time here.
This has been niggling me for ages, hope someone can help!
cheers
zoe xxx

Ameena
381916.  Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, can't remember the Latin, but the English translation was something like "He has balls and they are hanging well". Can't remember what episode but might have been Series C...

zoewaterman
381917.  Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote

oh cheers thanks.
found the info now if anyone is interested.

"sone due, et bene pendente", there are two, and hanging well, or "testiculos habet, et bene pendente", he has balls, and they're hanging well.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/1026276/Pope-and-his-balls-and-other-stories

http://emmering.blogspot.com/2005/04/bene-pendente.html

tetsabb
381919.  Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to these hallowed halls, zoewaterman.

A quick Google has given me this about the story of Pope Joan, and the alleged origin of the check on a newly-elected Pope's tackle.
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pardos/PopeJoan2.html
Doesn't mention the Latin version either, but QI, nonetheless.

And this
http://www.haribird.com/news2C14.htm
does have a Latin translation "testiculos habet", but also another explanation of the strange chair the new Pope is carried in.

There appears to be considerable doubt as to whether there ever was a female Pope.
And a question -- why all the fuss, if he is not allowed to use them?
(Asks the cynical ex-Catholic)

Jenny
381960.  Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote

Welcome zoewaterman :-)

Tas
382017.  Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:03 am Reply with quote

Welcome, Zoe.

:-)

Tas

Sadurian Mike
382027.  Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:24 am Reply with quote

That's a hell of a way to make an entrance!

Papal genitals in your first post; well done, madam. I look forward to your subsequent posts with eager anticipation.

Pope Joan the Man
382113.  Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote

I feel honoured Zoe.

Flash
382164.  Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote

This was Gyles Brandreth in the first series. I'm afraid there's more than 'considerable doubt' - it's manifestly untrue.

NinOfEden
382165.  Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
That's a hell of a way to make an entrance!

Papal genitals in your first post; well done, madam. I look forward to your subsequent posts with eager anticipation.

XD, I was thinking that...

Tas
382166.  Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
This was Gyles Brandreth in the first series. I'm afraid there's more than 'considerable doubt' - it's manifestly untrue.

You mean he was talking utter Testiculos?

:-)

Tas

suze
382280.  Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:52 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:

See Flash way back at post 161 for the debunkage of this one.

CB27
382283.  Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote

This kind of reminds me of the story of avocados which were brought over to Europe frmo central America where they were called ahuacatl by the natives, therefore the Spanish called them aguacate and the Portugese abacate.

When Dutch sailors found this fruit they found out that ahuacatl in the Nahuatl languege means "testicles" because they often grew in pairs on the trees and looked like pairs of testicles hanging off the branch. Being cheeky, they decided that they'd tell the people back home that they were called Avocaat which was similar to the word for lawyer.

Hence we get the drink Advocaat, which was originally made with avocados by Dutch settlers in Recife (my Mum's hometown...). And as a further QI on avocados, the Nahuatl word for sauce is molli, so they called their local dish of avocado sauce ahuacamolli - which the Spanich renamed Guacamole.

CB27
382284.  Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote

And that's how you get a thread that starts with the Pope's testicles and ends up getting them into Guacamole.

tetsabb
382458.  Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote

Bad-doom -tisch!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next