View previous topic | View next topic

"I have spilt coffee on the anteater."

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Aurelius
378800.  Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote

Just noticed that Arthur Smith (in the episode on Biscuits) made a couple of mistakes when he said this in Danish.

What he said was: "Jeg har spilde kaffe på snyllmyger." Firstly, "anteater" is "myresluger" ( from "myre" meaning "ant" and "sluger" meaning "to swallow") and, to make the definite of a noun, "-en" or "-et" (depending on the gender) is added to the end of the word.

Thus, what Arthur should have said is "jeg har spilde kaffe på myreslugeren."

 
suze
379143.  Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote

Thanks Aurelius, well spotted there!

Is there actually a word "snyllmyger", and if so what does it mean?

 
Jenny
379181.  Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote

My favourite Danish phrase is rød grød med fløde, which is 'red berries with cream' (not sure if this is a generic red berry or means strawberries). You can see a video of Danish schoolchildren demonstrating how to say it on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8VziyktyS0

 
Hans Mof
379652.  Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote

Not so much red berries as a compote of red berries. grød is realted to "grits" or "groats", on could translate rød grød as "red porridge".

Rød grød usually is made from any red berries available. However, jordbær grød is also available (strawberries).

 
Aurelius
401803.  Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
My favourite Danish phrase is rød grød med fløde, which is 'red berries with cream' (not sure if this is a generic red berry or means strawberries).


Hehe...I love that one as well...it's a great one to try when Danish isn't your native language and even better to watch non-Danes attempt!

 
Jenny
401817.  Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote

A French man once told me that the way to detect a non-native (but fluent) French speaker was to get them to say 'arbre', because only the French could give it just the right sound.

 
MinervaMoon
401820.  Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote

On the other hand, get a French person to say "strength" and witness someone's face turning inside out.

 
Aurelius
407071.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:50 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Is there actually a word "snyllmyger", and if so what does it mean?


Not as far as I know...there's no such word in my dictionary and none of my Danish friends have heard of such a term...

Jenny wrote:
A French man once told me that the way to detect a non-native (but fluent) French speaker was to get them to say 'arbre', because only the French could give it just the right sound.


I can see how that would work, considering that the French /r/ is one of the more difficult sounds for non-native speakers.

 
maiden
407093.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote

MinervaMoon wrote:
On the other hand, get a French person to say "strength" and witness someone's face turning inside out.


you just need to get a French person to say 'the' ... that normally slays them (due to them not having been taught how to pronounce 'th') ... It usually ends up as Duu or Duh (and I find that amusing).

:)

 
jtonks100
737542.  Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote

Aurelius wrote:
Just noticed that Arthur Smith (in the episode on Biscuits) made a couple of mistakes when he said this in Danish.

What he said was: "Jeg har spilde kaffe på snyllmyger." Firstly, "anteater" is "myresluger" ( from "myre" meaning "ant" and "sluger" meaning "to swallow") and, to make the definite of a noun, "-en" or "-et" (depending on the gender) is added to the end of the word.

Thus, what Arthur should have said is "jeg har spilde kaffe på myreslugeren."

he did say that you idiot

 
Efros
737547.  Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote

Not bad for a first post we look forward to hearing more of your abuse! NOT!

 
Posital
737577.  Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote

jtonks100 wrote:
he did say that you idiot
I get the impression that jtonks is disputing Aurelius's assertion of what was said?

Can anyone else corroborate this?

 
Alfred E Neuman
737579.  Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote

I get the impression that jtonks is a thread-necromancing troll.

 
Posital
737586.  Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote

:-X

 
jtonks100
737626.  Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
jtonks100 wrote:
he did say that you idiot
I get the impression that jtonks is disputing Aurelius's assertion of what was said?

Can anyone else corroborate this?

Well i have got a half sister who happens to have a danish mother and i go to denmark every year aswell as having lots of scandinavian freinds and i can speak danish.

 

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group