View previous topic | View next topic

Missing Comments

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

bobwilson
409746.  Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote

I only ask because if it's a problem I'll go back over my own previous postings and cull them if it's necessary. (Most are out of date, have been answered, or don't add anything of value).

suze
409756.  Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote

I don't know the numbers that you request, but I was speaking to the IT Elf about this issue only yesterday so I can give you part of an answer.

The forum space issue isn't critical at the moment, but neither is it a thing about which we can be complacent. I've promised the Management some of my time during half term week to have a proper look - from which you can gather that i) it is a live issue but ii) it probably can wait until I have that week off in late October.

As for deleting individual postings, in general we'd rather people didn't do that - it can cause rather a lot of confusion. (You'll see this if you happen upon any threads which have featured the handful of people who have deleted all their posts. They look rather unbalanced, and it's often not clear who is saying what to whom and what refers to what.)

bobwilson
409766.  Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote

I'm a bit bemused that the issue of storage space is a live issue. Computer disks are extraordinarily cheap - surely the solution is just bung in a few more disks?

barbados
409794.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote

Whilst computer discs are cheap, it's worth mentioning that there is a vast difference between the costs of a shared server (which I would take an educated guess at what is being used here) and a dedicated server (which would enable you to add disc space willy nilly)

dr.bob
409891.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:18 am Reply with quote

Indeed. If we were running the site on a dedicated server, we could basically do whatever we want with it. Sadly the reality is that it's on a shared server, so we are forced to abide by the limits imposed by the hosting company. As such, there is a fixed size which the forums database is allowed to grow to and, if it gets any bigger, the hosting company gets rather annoyed (last time they were annoyed enough to simply switch off the database with precisely zero warning, which was a bit tiresome).

One day I imagine something major will have to be done, but the longer we can postpone that day the easier life will be. As suze says, deleting individual posts is probably not the way to go. However, I'm sure there are quite a few threads out there that could be culled without too much trouble.

Normally I go through the forums on a regular basis and trim the threads that stand out for obvious reasons of size (like the Venting thread). I don't have time to go through every thread, though it might be useful if people proposed some threads which were ripe for culling.

These should be threads that don't contain any useful information that someone might want to call upon at some later date. The problem with the interesting nature of these forums is that such threads are quite hard to spot.

Arcane
409955.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote

I instituted a thread called "Food, glorious food". Really I should have looked further because there is a thread on food in the QI Lists!

I am quite happy for you to delete that thread, as I don't feel it contained anything that someone one day will be desparately searching for!

dr.bob
410028.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote

Consider it gone. Many thanks for that, reddy.

Any more for any more?

samivel
410032.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote

Sing Song Qing Qong could probably go.

Arcane
410040.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote

I also instituted a thread about whether Australia is an island or a continent. It was probably my first thread and I didn't know it had been addressed earlier in QI. So again, possibly a doubling up of information and not necessary.

dr.bob, could a notice be put up in General Banter asking if people would contribute their own threads for deletion? It would be more visible there and you'd get more responses!

And of course, you'd have to delete it eventually as that too would end up taking up room!

barbados
410047.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote

I'd guess and say that anything that has less than say 20 posts in and appears later that page 50 on General Banter could probably be cut.

If it hasn't been posted to in 7 months and didn't create that much interest when it was new it probably won't be missed

Arcane
410064.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote

Threads with 0 replies as well?

and I've just found some mouldy spam by accident (already put in the SPAM thread) at post 369321. Popvoucher thingie.

suze
410121.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Sing Song Qing Qong could probably go.

That's very much on the list of things for me to take a look at in a few weeks' time - I made precisely that suggestion last time we were short of space, and then people suddenly started playing it again! I'd rather like TQQ to stay though, partly because there are some good jokes in it and partly because there are also some Quite Interesting factoids which appear nowhere else on the site.

barbados wrote:
I'd guess and say that anything that has less than say 20 posts in and appears later that page 50 on General Banter could probably be cut.

In principle, that's probably right. But there's a definite reluctance to delete anything from other than the Games forum without reading it first. That takes time, and the sort of threads you have in mind don't really take up very much space, so it's a bit further down the list.

reddy wrote:
I've just found some mouldy spam by accident

Good spot that woman! Consider it gone ...

barbados
410159.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote

It might be an idea to start at the bottom and work up then, but as I said if it's general banter and hasn't been added to since February, it's probably not going to be missed

suze
410249.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote

Indeed not, and it would certainly be a valid exercise. As you suggest, starting from the bottom would be the way to go.

Until we've done some of the less labour intensive things which can be done to free up some space we won't know how pressing is the need for such an exercise, but it's certainly something we'll be keeping in mind.

Arcane
410284.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Suze! Twas looking at some old games when I found it had a distinct whiff of Eau d' Spam - I'd seen a similar format in previous spam.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next