View previous topic | View next topic

Series K

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

eggshaped
1031610.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote

Now we're half way through Series K, I wonder what you think of the series so far? We've had a fair few new guests, what do you think of them? Have we gotten the balance between facts and gags correct? Any other comments you'd like to make?

As we start thinking about Series L, it would be nice to hear your views.

djgordy
1031630.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote

There were gags?

Nah, just kiddin'.

What I really meant was "there were facts?".

The noobies have been good, though usually somewhat cowed by the presence of the regulars. It takes a couple of goes for them to get bedded in. Except Trevor Noah who was probably bedded in immediately after filming had finished.......

tetsabb
1031631.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote

I don't know if it just my hearing, but do guests talk over each other more than in previous series? I'm all for a bit of banter, but sometimes it seems that Sir Stephen picks up on something one person has said that he has heard that I have missed.
Is it not possible for the sound people* to 'up' that remark, and 'down' some of the other chat?

Other than that small quibble, I am enjoying it greatly, especially when Sandi Toksvig is on.

*I am sure all the Elves and tech folk are very sound. I am referring to editors of sound or whatever their title might be.

'yorz
1031638.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Trevor Noah who was probably bedded

Very beddable qualities indeed.

AlmondFacialBar
1031643.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Oh yes... I very much felt like making that a fivesome at the recording...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

CharliesDragon
1031674.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote

I was actually thinking about how it isn't as enjoyable as the last series, but there's several factors playing in. For one, I prefer the XL versions, and maybe the regular version this week left a bad taste in my mouth. Secondly, with autumn and soon winter setting in my mood takes a turn for the worse and that could make me enjoy everything less now, unlike the countless repeats I watched during the summer. And since I can't put my finger on what may be wrong with the show, I think I'll blame my head.

I did enjoy Trevor Noah, though, but Tim Minchin was... well, not disappointing as a guest, but disappointing as Tim Minchin. I'll see if the XL version is better.

clack
1031686.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote

Of those new guests who've made any impression on me whatsoever:

Noel Fielding : Brings something fresh to the usual panel dynamic, while still fitting in well with the overall format.

Katherine Ryan : Promising. There's potential there to develop some interesting chemistry with Stephen.

Josh Widdicombe : Well, he's young, and he knows his way around a panel show. Not great, not terrible.

Trevor Noah : Refreshingly, went for interesting rather than funny. I'd like to see him back.

Graham Linehan : Not a polished panelist, but has more dimension than the typical professional comedian. Might be worth a return appearance or two.

Tim Minchin : Didn't really live up to his great potential, but please bring him back if you can.

As for the K series overall, I think it's been solid -- not reaching the heights of some of the episodes of previous series, but then again avoiding the depths.

djgordy
1031693.  Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote

The best noobie by miles was Sara Pascoe. Let's have her on next season with Helen Keen.

Marc001
1031914.  Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote

I enjoyed a lot of the episodes from this series, but:

- I liked how fierce Stephen Fry was in the earlier series. He could lash out and explode any minute, especially when someone (usually Alan) said something which annoyed him. In the current series (just like the previous 5 or so), he plays the part of a 'kind, wise old man'. This probably has nothing to do with the format of the program, people just change.

- I think the program would get both funnier and more interesting if the number of comedians decreased. A lot of the guests on the first few series were both funny and interesting (Vic Reeves, Clive Anderson, etc.). A lot of the current guests only contribute to the funniness, but they don't know interesting stuff. Because they don't make interesting remarks or give interesting answers, Stephen often just has to read out loud the answers and it feels like a 45 minute string of facts without an interesting discussion. Also, I think a lot of the jokes that the comedians make are often rather predictable.

- The experiments haven't found their place yet. Maybe it's possible to ask the panel a question about the experiment, and make it an active part of the program?

- Women on QI: I think actresses are the way to go, because most of the female comedians are afwul. The female comedians cannot keep up with their male colleagues. Some British actrices (like Julie Walters) are really funny, and more important: they don't feel the need to be funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt83FCSsHqQ

Still, I have really enjoyed a a lot of the episodes from this series!

djgordy
1031938.  Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:01 am Reply with quote

It's been OK but not a KO.

(Applause - thank you, I'm here all week etc)

RLDavies
1031974.  Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quote

It's too heavy on the banter and too light on the facts, for my taste. Not very far off the balance, but just a bit.

There's definitely less discipline than there used to be. Guests shout over each other constantly, and nobody has any respect for Fry's position as host, even when he tries to pull it all back on track.

The banter itself is less disciplined as well. In earlier series, people would go off on tangents, but the general drift stayed close to the original question. Now it's just all over the shop. This might be related to the fact that the questions as well are less focused and don't seem to have any natural progression from one to the next -- it's like the whole show is a General Ignorance round.

The original feel of QI was an intelligently witty after-dinner conversation. Now it's more like any other noisy celebrity panel show.

The effort to bring in more new faces is welcome, but unless they're widely famous figures THEY SHOULD BE INTRODUCED by more than a quick mention of a name. Who was the woman on this last one? What does she do? Never heard of her. Can't google her because I can't remember her name.

djgordy
1032016.  Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote

She was Chritsine Fernandez de Kirchner and she is currently the President of Argentina.

Either that or a comedian. They are nearly always comedians.

Actually, Isy Suttie (for it is she) has been in loads of things, Also, she is from Derbyshire so is obviously a comedy genius, as are all people who hail from that county. With the possible exception of Dave Lee Travis, depending on the outcome of the trial..........

CharliesDragon
1032067.  Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote

I agree with Marc001's opinions, and having Julia Walters on would be great! Or other actresses who've lived long enough to pick up some unusual stories or facts to tell. I'm not for an all-serious panel, but more of a balance than now, with one or two really interesting people and two comedians, just to level the playing field.

Spud McLaren
1032068.  Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
... she is from Derbyshire so is obviously a comedy genius, as are all people who hail from that county.
Coo, ta.

Mi duck.

'yorz
1032087.  Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote

Tim Minchin seemed rather gaunt. Crash diet? Not well? He lacked his usual spark.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next