View previous topic | View next topic

F- Off

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

violetriga
372055.  Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote

Review as expletive gets marks (BBC News):
Quote:
An exam board is to review its marking guidance after one of its top examiners gave marks for a script which contained only a two-word sexual expletive.

The Times reported that Assessment and Qualifications Alliance chief examiner Peter Buckroyd gave a pupil two marks out of 27 for an English GCSE paper.

He is quoted as saying the candidate had demonstrated more skills than one "who doesn't write anything at all".

The pupil is reported to have written "fuck off", and would have had another mark for adding an exclamation point.

I love that last line. I was looking at the mark scheme earlier and it does indeed support what Buckroyd has said, but really it is a bit daft. I don't want to start a "dumbing down of exams" thread, but it does make you wonder what they should be doing in English lessons.

Did you spot the thread title? F-? See what I did there?

npower1
372078.  Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote

This topic has already started a conversation elsewhere on this site. I know that this sites search engine has been degraded (see phbb thread). However, getting this topic into the 'What is this fresh hell' forum I applaud.

suze
372080.  Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote

The other discussion of this matter starts at post 371523.

samivel
372096.  Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
The pupil is reported to have written "fuck off", and would have had another mark for adding an exclamation point.

I bet said pupil is gutted to have dropped that extra mark.

Arcane
372204.  Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote

This is why we REALLY need our old search feature back.... I've managed to put already similar threads up before, and now if I want to post a few thread I spend a while checking that no one else has done it already.

barbados
372214.  Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote

What we really need is for people to title threads properly.

Jenny
372454.  Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote

violetriga wrote:
I don't want to start a "dumbing down of exams" thread, but it does make you wonder what they should be doing in English lessons.

A former English examiner speaks...

Plainly this is not what 'they should be doing' in English lessons. However, do bear in mind that:

Any group of teenagers who have not chosen to be in a class (English being compulsory) is likely to contain at least one member of the awkward squad who hasn't yet realised that he has a life to live and a living to earn.

Such a teenager is not necessarily unintelligent, but is likely to think writing 'Fuck Off' (with or without an exclamation mark) an entertaining act of rebellion.

The hapless examiner, confronted with this, has to fall back on the mark scheme in case said teenager's parents are also members of the awkward squad.

A mark of two or three is not even going to get the student a G, so the paper will be unclassified, which is what it should be.

Hummingbird
372516.  Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote

I thought the examiner showed a fine line in dry humour.

Izzardesque
372827.  Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:28 am Reply with quote

I'd have given him an F

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1249534.  Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote

This reminds me of a pupil in my first-year senior RE class who got two marks in an exam. In fact he got no marks for the actual work but the teacher gave him two marks for getting his name right.

suze
1249560.  Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote

I can't speak for GCSEs and A levels, but when I was responsible for university exams it was genuinely true that you got one mark for submitting a script which was correctly headed up but made no attempt to answer any of the questions.

The reason for this was simple. Attendance at exams was compulsory, and not attending led to disciplinary action. Accordingly, to make it easier to identify students who needed their bottoms smacked, a mark of 0 was awarded for and only for a failure to attend.

filofax
1249672.  Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote

I would like to know what the question was.

'yorz
1249686.  Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote

Was about to consult Snopes, mind. :-)

PDR
1249694.  Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote

filofax wrote:
I would like to know what the question was.

If you were the Foreign Secretary writing a newspaper article to detail your views on Brexit, how much would you claim the UK pays to the EU each week (sources and working to be shown, 10 marks).

PDR

tetsabb
1249697.  Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote

10 Euros, surely?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next