View previous topic | View next topic

Possible Mistake in Thebook of GeneralIgnorance? (Re-posted)

Page 1 of 1

Iamtheelephant616
371110.  Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote

"What was odd about Rudolph the Red-nose Reindeer?" (page 259)

"He was a girl...
...Like all Santa's reindeer 'he' must in fact have been female. Male reindeer lose their antlers at the start of winter. Females keep their antlers untill they give birth in spring."

But, in the story, or atlest the one I read, (which, as is the QI style, may be likely to be false, but i'll say it anyway) Rudolph was teased not just because of his nose, but because he had no antlers before Christmas. So, instead of Rudolph being a girl, he may have infact been the only one who WASN'T a girl.

And I am prepared to have my question "nibbled to death by our team of slavering Guard Chihuahuas. "

Iamtheelephant616
371115.  Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Oh yeah and I know, wrong book, but it's about animals, or atleast a fictional one (or was he/she?)

MinervaMoon
371118.  Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote

You may be right. But when I went to look him up on Wikipedia, it was this that caught my eye:

Quote:
Incidents

As of February 2008, 2 major incidents had occurred, resulting in one fatality nearly triggering an accidental nuclear war[55]

Declassified reports from the Royal Canadian Air Force detailed numerous incidents whereas electromagnetic radiation emitted from Rudolph's nose interfered with ground and space based communications.

The most serious incident regarding Rudolph occurred at approximately 2100 hrs AST on October 16, 1962. NORAD early warning radars detected a series of blips which were interpreted as a strike force of Soviet Tu-44 Bear strategic bombers. The lead blip was intermittently jamming the ground based radars. US forces were in DEFCON3 alert at this time as this was the height of the Cuban missile crisis. US Air Force fighters were scrambled from Elemendorf AFB to confirm and engage the radar blips. This was the closest point in American history that Santa Clause and Rudolph ignited an accidental nuclear conflict. On a side note it has been rumoured that the reindeer codenamed "Prancer" and an American fighter collided in mid-air during the intercept. The Air Force pilot was able to safely land his damaged aircraft. However, Prancer did not survive. In 1979 President Jimmy Carter authorized an out of court settlement facing a wrongful death suit from Santa Clause Enterprises Inc. The 1962 Rudolph incident lead to the grounding of all Santa Clause flights until the cold war ended in 1991. Santa reportedly has installed NATO coded IFF transmitters on his sleigh to avert future tragedies.

Perhaps someone else has the heart to change it. I certainly don't.

Iamtheelephant616
371131.  Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote

MinervaMoon wrote:
You may be right. But when I went to look him up on Wikipedia, it was this that caught my eye:

Quote:
Incidents

As of February 2008, 2 major incidents had occurred, resulting in one fatality nearly triggering an accidental nuclear war[55]

Declassified reports from the Royal Canadian Air Force detailed numerous incidents whereas electromagnetic radiation emitted from Rudolph's nose interfered with ground and space based communications.

The most serious incident regarding Rudolph occurred at approximately 2100 hrs AST on October 16, 1962. NORAD early warning radars detected a series of blips which were interpreted as a strike force of Soviet Tu-44 Bear strategic bombers. The lead blip was intermittently jamming the ground based radars. US forces were in DEFCON3 alert at this time as this was the height of the Cuban missile crisis. US Air Force fighters were scrambled from Elemendorf AFB to confirm and engage the radar blips. This was the closest point in American history that Santa Clause and Rudolph ignited an accidental nuclear conflict. On a side note it has been rumoured that the reindeer codenamed "Prancer" and an American fighter collided in mid-air during the intercept. The Air Force pilot was able to safely land his damaged aircraft. However, Prancer did not survive. In 1979 President Jimmy Carter authorized an out of court settlement facing a wrongful death suit from Santa Clause Enterprises Inc. The 1962 Rudolph incident lead to the grounding of all Santa Clause flights until the cold war ended in 1991. Santa reportedly has installed NATO coded IFF transmitters on his sleigh to avert future tragedies.

Perhaps someone else has the heart to change it. I certainly don't.

This is the funniest thing I've ever read.
Told You Santa Was Real

Page 1 of 1