View previous topic | View next topic

Hungary

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

jsteel
559967.  Tue May 26, 2009 8:03 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
The other thing to note is that the old theory that Hungary was named after the Huns is now mostly replaced by the theory that Hungary was named after the Onogurs who were European nomads around 1500 years ago and that the name came from an alliance forged in the 7th century.

Back after almost a year exile...

The Hungary name is a distortion of Onugor (tribes who joined the Magyar tribes) and does not come from Hun, although it is widely believed even in Hungary.

jsteel
559969.  Tue May 26, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote

dadge wrote:
As you probably know, Hungarian in Hungarian is "Magyar", which is related to the Hungarian word "magyaráz", meaning to explain. Ergo, they are the "plain-speakers" or "clear-talkers".

By contrast, the Hungarian word for German is "Német", related to "néma", meaning mute. Poles, Czechs, etc use a similar-meaning word for the Germans.

What peoples call themselves (and what others call them) and why, is definitely QI.

Calling other peoples mute is not unusual. The ancient Greeks did the same. Nevertheless, Hungarians took the word from the Slavs, because previously they didn't use a collective noun for the different Germanic tribes but called on their tribal name (Saxon, Bavarian, Swabian, etc.).

CB27
560094.  Tue May 26, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Quite a timely reminder about Hungary as I saw a very interesting programme yesterday about Rezső Kasztner, a Hungarian Jew who was assassinated in 1957 supposedly for collaborating with Nazis, and was never honoured in Israel until very recently despite directly saving more Jews during WWII than any other Jew (nearly 1,700) and possibly saving thousands of others from the more deadly concentration camps.

He's a timely reminder of how Heroes were viewed in the past, and how history teaches us to view heroes today, because he had the strength to deal directly with the enemy and engage with them rather than simply fight - had he fought then thousands more Jews might have died.

chrisboote
1034565.  Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote

It appears that Hungary may be sliding into a one-party dictatorship 8-(
http://www.newstatesman.com/austerity-and-its-discontents/2013/04/hungary-no-longer-democracy

Zebra57
1034589.  Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote

This is an aspect of Hungary that has escaped Nigel's radar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24848361

suze
1034625.  Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote

Now that's interesting.

At the time that I became a Polish citizen, there was no requirement for a person seeking citizenship on the grounds of Polish ancestry to know the Polish language. It was possible to go through the entire application process in English, in Lithuanian, or in Ukrainian. (Not German for political reasons, although permanent residents seeking naturalization could go down that route in German. Ethnic Germans are the largest minority community in Poland, so I suppose this is only fair.)

The only thing that had to be done in Polish was that I had to pay a solicitor to certify a Polish translation of my birth certificate. At the time, there were no Polish-speaking solicitors local to me and I used a fellow in the West Midlands whom I found via the Internet. This has changed, though.

But the apparent ease of gaining Polish citizenship never seemed to be considered a problem. I suppose this is because the Polish diaspora is concentrated in Western Europe and in North America; except for Belarus, there aren't all that many ethnic Poles in the European countries which remain outside the EU.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1248806.  Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote

jsteel wrote:
Hungary can be proud of highest recorded inflation (1945-46) in economic history. The 1945 one pengő's value was 5O thousand millionth in the summer of 1946 and the highest denomination banknote was issued: 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 pengő (one milliard billion in long scale). In the early summer of 1946 the inflation became so fast that in the cafés the waiters announced the new prices every half an hour. When the new currency (forint) was introduced the exchange rate between this and the old currency (pengő) was 1 to 400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (400 thousand quadrillion in long scale), which effectively meant that people did not exchange pengő to forint.

Since this post, the record has been beaten. In July 1946 Hungary's monthly inflation rate rose to 41.9 quadrillion percent. However as of November 2008, Zimbabwe's inflation rate was estimated as 89.7 sextillion percent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2