View previous topic | View next topic

Beer

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jenny
2891.  Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:03 pm Reply with quote

Beer is, of course, good for you (pity I don't like the stuff).

A study presented in December 2000 confirmed that beer is rich in antioxidants, especially darker brews.
Quote:
Dr. Joe Vinson and colleagues from the University of Scranton, Penn., found that beer prevented the oxidation of low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad" cholesterol) and very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL, or "very bad" cholesterol), a good thing since oxidation produces harmful, free-radical compounds (metabolites).

A second study, done by Dr. John Trevithick and colleagues at the University of Western Ontario in Canada showed that people who consumed one alcoholic beverage daily reduced their risk of developing cataracts by half, again thanks to antioxidants.

And the research doesn't stop there. In November, 1999, the New England Journal of Medicine reported that light-to-moderate alcohol consumption (as little as one drink per week) reduces the overall risk of stroke.

And don't forget about vitamins and minerals. Beer contains vitamin B-6, which prevents the build up of homocysteine, a chemical linked to an increase in the risk of heart disease. And Guinness, Ireland's famous stout, is high in iron content. (In fact, in Ireland, Guinness is offered to blood donors and post-operative patients!)

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0FKA/3_63/78476646/p1/article.jhtml

Liebig
3423.  Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Given that Hell, Patricia and Old Cornelius are beers found respectively in Austria, Uruguay and Jarrow is there a question along the lines:

Where would you find Hell in Austria, a Patricia in Uruguay or Cornelius in Jarrow?
s: LPA
OBS 21.09.03
TTI 20.09.03

Liebig
3424.  Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:43 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I woke up Sunday morning/With no way to hold my head that didnít hurt/And the beer I had for breakfast wasnít bad/So I had one more for dessert.
KRIS KRISTOFFERSON, Sunday Morning Coming Down

brackett
4283.  Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:19 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure how reliable this fact is, as I cannot track down a good source, but apparently in Bavaria, Beer is not an Alcoholic drink, and is instead legally defined as a staple food.

Also...

There is a great poem to be read, found inscribed on a Nineteenth-century B.C. tablet, called "The Hymn to Ninkasi" which contains a recipe for Sumerian Beer.
It can be found at the below link.

www.piney.com/BabNinkasi.html

Sophie J
5337.  Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:14 am Reply with quote

I have been looking everywhere for a source for the fact that the Chinese have a different genetic make-up to Europeans, Australians etc meaning that they can't take their alcohol. This supposedly derives from the fact that in the early middle ages, we used to sterilise water by boiling it and making ale, whereas the Chinese boiled it and made tea. We have subsequently evolved with a gene that gives us a higher alcohol tolerance level that the Chinese don't have. Does anyone else know anything about this?

Flash
5339.  Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:42 am Reply with quote

I can't help with a source, but the evolutionary mechanism you propose sounds rather Lamarckian - ie that our ancestors' behaviour caused a mutation in their genes which they then passed on. If you are saying that, I think it means you have to be burnt at the stake (for your own good).

The opposite hypothesis seems more likely: the Chinese tended to get tremendous hangovers, so they drank tea for preference.

Flash
5340.  Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:05 am Reply with quote

However, the Tenth Special Report to the U. S. Congress on Alcohol and Health stated:

Quote:
"Perhaps the single greatest influence on the scope and direction of alcohol research has been the finding that a portion of the vulnerability to alcoholism is genetic. Approximately 50-60 percent of the risk for developing alcoholism is genetic."

Studies leading to this conclusion are discussed in the report (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2000b) - maybe you could find something there.

Last edited by Flash on Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Flash
5341.  Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:52 am Reply with quote

It seems to be a bit of an open question in scientific circles:
Quote:
Genetic and other determinants of alcoholism in population isolates including American Indian communities and Finland are being investigated. Evidence was found for two potential alcoholism-vulnerability genes in an Indian tribe with a high rate of alcoholism.

http://www.nih.gov/about/almanac/2001/organization/NIAAA.htm

and
Quote:
NIAAA sponsors a project that teams established U.S. investigators with their foreign counterparts to develop new alcohol research activities that serve as the foundation for the development of more intensive, larger studies. This program includes projects that are ... identifying genes influencing predispositions to alcoholism in Ireland; ... and examining aspects of nervous system function that may predispose people to alcoholism in Mautitian youth.

I wonder whether Mautitian is a typo for Mauritian, but this is as in the original.

The full name of the report referenced above is: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. 10th Special Report to the U.S. Congress on Alcohol and Health. NIH Pub. No. 00-1583. Rockville, MD: Department of Health and Human Services, 2000.

Sophie J
5349.  Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:31 pm Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that Flash - am looking into it (if there's time before my burning).

Flash
5384.  Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:46 am Reply with quote

Sophie - you'll have seen post 3605? Scientific American is cited in support of your contention.

Caradoc
12191.  Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:21 pm Reply with quote

What was done to beer in 1935 in New Jersey & in Llanelli.

It was sold in cans for the first time.

Gottfried Krueger was the US brewer & Felinfoel the British.

http://www.felinfoel-brewery.com/main.html

geoffo
33696.  Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:12 am Reply with quote

apparently, a chappie in czech republic, lived for 17 days on draught guiness alone!

MR.PASTMASTER
598122.  Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote

24 CANS IN A PACK - 24 HOURS IN A DAY. NEED I SAY MORE![/quote]

MR.PASTMASTER
598126.  Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with curry

CB27
598285.  Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote

Easier to dunk a small wheel in curry than a can of beer.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next