View previous topic | View next topic

Sneezes

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Spud McLaren
722868.  Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote

Apparently 25% of the world's population will sneeze when looking into a bright light (hopefully not all together). I am one of the 25%.

Not sure why this phenomenon occurs - because the optic nerve and the nerve(s) responsible for the sneeze reflex run closer together in some folks than in others?

Edit: Ah, here we are...

and gluttons had better watch out, too...

Efros
722882.  Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote

That last one would qualify for the most contrived acronym award. SNATIATION indeed.

Spud McLaren
722887.  Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote

OK, then - try ACHOO

And if we wanted to get sniffy about it, posh folks don't sneeze - they sternutate.

Efros
722891.  Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote

EIEIO has been used twice, Easily Ionizable Element Interference Observations, and Electron-Induced Excitation of Ions from Organics.

bemahan
722892.  Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote

I didn't know about the bright light sneezy thing till I met my husband. If he felt the need to sneeze he'd look at a light. I thought he was dotty till I tried it. Looking at a light doesn't make he and I sneeze, just speeds the sneeze up.

Spud McLaren
722910.  Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote

Yes, it's a condition that has its uses.

Spud McLaren
723508.  Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote

I was quite impressed with my work colleague on Thursday - I told him, in a fit of diggle (post 625474), that I suffered from photic sternutation and he knew exactly what I was talking about. If someone had said that to me ten days ago I wouldn't have had a clue.

Spud McLaren
723759.  Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote

Various interesting snippets

tetsabb
723970.  Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
I didn't know about the bright light sneezy thing till I met my husband. If he felt the need to sneeze he'd look at a light. I thought he was dotty till I tried it. Looking at a light doesn't make he and I sneeze, just speeds the sneeze up.

And if you try it 8 times in a row, think how much fun you could have....

crissdee
724151.  Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote

Rift wrote:
I heard somewhere that a sneeze is the equivalent of an 8th of an orgasm.. I've sneezed 8 times in a row and there was no ejaculate.

Probably General Ignorance again?

Way back when I was an apprentice at college, one of my fellow students said that a sneeze was the second most pleasurable experience a human could have. Some discussion later, the body of opinion was that a long-awaited poop was far more enjoyable than any sneeze. What would Freud have made of that? On second thoughts, don't answer that as we all know what that freak would have made of it!

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2