View previous topic | View next topic

Sneezes

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Sadurian Mike
361095.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote

It is often said that you cannot sneeze without closing your eyes, at least for a millisecond.

I have no photographic proof nor independent witnesses, but I have managed to keep my eyes open during a sneeze without using gaffer tape or G-clamps.

I am not sure if this makes it QI or just makes me a sad git for wanting to do it in the first place.

maiden
361099.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Doesn't it depend on the 'force' of the sneeze Mike?

I'm no expert, but having sneezed 'lightly' before (maybe it was only a 'half-sneeze'), I've managed to keep my eyes open, but for full-throttle sneezes (the ones where half your lung goes flying out, usually along with a bucket of phlegm), i automatically close my eyes for those ones.

Bondee
361139.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote

What made you think of that Mike?
: )

djgordy
361143.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote

The reason you supposedly cannot sneeze with your eyes open is that the sneezing is a reflex which is linked with other involuntary actions, one of which is blinking.

As with a lot of reflexes though, some people are able to overcome them and some people just may not have them.

The common myth is that if you sneeze with your eyes open your eyeballs will pop out of their sockets but this is just an urban myth.

http://sxxz.blogspot.com/2004/12/sneeze-science.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzflMcQIdBo&feature=related

Sadurian Mike
361159.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
The common myth is that if you sneeze with your eyes open your eyeballs will pop out of their sockets but this is just an urban myth.

Not for me. I now have to keep them in a golf-ball case floating in saline.

It's dark in here.

Sadurian Mike
361160.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
What made you think of that Mike?
: )

Amazing what one chats about on a late night train, isn't it?

Davini994
361466.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
I have managed to keep my eyes open during a sneeze without using gaffer tape or G-clamps.

How do you know? It might have felt like it, but I personally would like to see images from a high speed camera first. Preferably with a horse running in the background.

Sadurian Mike
361470.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:
I have managed to keep my eyes open during a sneeze without using gaffer tape or G-clamps.

How do you know? It might have felt like it, but I personally would like to see images from a high speed camera first. Preferably with a horse running in the background.

No horses were involved or harmed during the sneeze. I wish I had had a high speed camera as it may (or more probably may not) have been of interest to people.

I had my eyes wide open as previously I had felt the eyelids flutter close enoug that it may have been a blink. Although there was a definite spasm involved, the eyelids did not close or even get close to closing.

Yes, it is something I had been working on for some years....

Davini994
361494.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote

So... you're a security guard then?

;)

My theory, rude as it is, is that the eyelids close, or are close to closing momentarily at the critical moment. Short of a high speed camera, I can't think of a negative experiment that would not be extremely dangerous to the eye. Someone call Newton.

samanthasamwise
362826.  Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote

here's the mythbusters sneezing with eyes open:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoEqPnx7-Gs

Sadurian Mike
362917.  Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote

samanthasamwise wrote:
here's the mythbusters sneezing with eyes open:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoEqPnx7-Gs

I notice he had to hold his eyes open; he needs more practice to keep them open without mechanical restraint.

Of course, I wasn't sniffing pepper at the time.

Rift
363843.  Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote

I heard somewhere that a sneeze is the equivalent of an 8th of an orgasm.. I've sneezed 8 times in a row and there was no ejaculate.

Probably General Ignorance again?

Sadurian Mike
364022.  Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote

Rift wrote:
I heard somewhere that a sneeze is the equivalent of an 8th of an orgasm.. I've sneezed 8 times in a row and there was no ejaculate.

Probably General Ignorance again?

Pass the pepper.

And the Kleenex.*

*For my nose, you heathen.

Rift
364027.  Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:

Pass the pepper.

And the Kleenex.*

*For my nose, you heathen.

Nowt wrong with using kleenex for other purposes.

like toilet paper

Sadurian Mike
722818.  Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Just as an adjunct to this discussion, I have been happily sneezing with my eyes open all day. Proper hay-fever sneezes that rock the head, but with the eyes open.

When Jan gets back she will have to act as an independent witness, and I'm sure she will be looking forwards to it.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next