View previous topic | View next topic

Flat Earth Society

Page 4 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Sadurian Mike
361349.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote

Kasroa wrote:
To answer all three points in one go: Triangulation/communication does not require satellites.

Then please explain how a GPS works given that we have no transmitting towers high enough to triangulate from.

Also why communication transmitters and receivers point upwards (which we have all seen, so being part of a secret conspiracy might be a little hard to swallow).

Kasroa
361356.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote

I know, you should go and register and post a thread asking all these questions.

Sadurian Mike
361365.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote

Kasroa wrote:
I know, you should go and register and post a thread asking all these questions.

No, I'd rather ask you as you were the one who stated that satellites were not involved.

Davini994
361464.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
...you'll have to remember that religious thinking dictated that the Earth was flat until just a few generations ago...

Are you sure? This was debunked on the show.

thegrandwazoo
361507.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote

Whoa! Wait a minute there guys. Are you trying to say the Earth's NOT flat? When did they find that out?

Sadurian Mike
361508.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote

thegrandwazoo wrote:
Whoa! Wait a minute there guys. Are you trying to say the Earth's NOT flat? When did they find that out?

Something to do with disappearing horizons and stuff.

We are still waiting for news of where orbital satelites go or of how GPS works without them. Personally, I wait with bated breath.

I say we all club together and buy these guys a round-the-world cruise.

thegrandwazoo
361511.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote

[quote="Sadurian Mike]"I say we all club together and buy these guys a round-the-world cruise.[/quote]
That would leave them feeling a little flat.

(gets coat and disappears over horizon)

Sadurian Mike
361519.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote

thegrandwazoo wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:
I say we all club together and buy these guys a round-the-world cruise.

That would leave them feeling a little flat.

(gets coat and disappears over horizon)

We could go for the Yorkshire* round-the-world trip that has a return ticket.

*Insert country/county of choice.

Sadurian Mike
361520.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote

Kasroa wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:
Has anyone actually visited the Edge yet? Given that we have had umpteen explorers, pioneers and trade ships (including submarines going right under the North Pole and out the other side), I would have though that at least one of these would have seen some evidence.

Also satellite orbits might be a little hard to explain given that:

1. We know there are up there because we get our communications and GPS signals from them.
2. The orbital (as opposed to geostationary) ones do a damned good job of shooting from one "side" of the world to the other without a break in transmission.
3. They are launched (not all by NASA by a long shot) with software and assumptions based on a round earth and yet seem to work without disappearing off of some theorised Edge.

I am happy to say that I would never condemn a man for his beliefs, but I will always leap to argue against patent bollocks.

To answer all three points in one go: Triangulation/communication does not require satellites.

I have also just realised that your response doesn't actually answer any of the points.

I have seen launches of bloody great rockets with complex machines inside them. These rockets go all the way through the clouds and out of visual range and don't immediately come crashing down again. Are you honestly saying that they go to all that trouble and expense but don't leave the satellite up there?

AndyMcH
361700.  Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:36 am Reply with quote

Ive visited the site and its quite fun. I imagine its a spoof. Its a good way to pravctise your debating skills though if you take the role of a flat earther and try to argue the case for it

Davini994
361710.  Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote

There are some excellent arguments there. Such as:

Quote:
Q: "The government could not pull off the conspiracy successfully"

A: Actually, they could.

At the risk of getting myself in trouble: linky.

CB27
361720.  Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote

I think my wording was wrong when I said "doctrine" because people took it to mean dotrine of the central church whereas I actually mean individual church leaders.

Sometimes when a myth is debunked it's easy to create a second myth that "nothing of the sort existed", but until modern communication and travel methods opened the eyes of many communities there were still a great deal of people who were taught, and believed, the theory of flat earth. They may have been in a minority, but you shouldn't deny their existence.

As I mentioned before, even significant political leaders such as Paul Kruger believed it as late as the turn of the century.

Also wrong is to deny that Christianity ever believed in flat earth.

You have to remember that FE was more widely believed in until just four centuries before Christianity was born, so there will have been some people who still believed in FE at that time. While most Christians and people of the time will have believed the Earth not to be flat, there were always some writers who would write otherwise (especially around 3rd-4th centuries AD), even St Augustine alluded to it when he argued against the idea of people living in the antipodes.

The problem is that when puritanism and fundamentalism enter the fray you see such writings gaining recognition. A perfcet example would be Ibn Baz's fatwah in 1993. Islam in general espouses that the world is round and a concensus was agreed early in the last millenium that this is the accepted theory. Some much later Muslims, like Imam Jalaluddin Al-Suyuti (15th century), declared the Earth to be flat. In 1993, the Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia Ibn Baz issued a fatwah declaring "The Earth is flat. Whoever claims it is round is an atheist deserving of punishment." This caused an embarassment and Ibn Baz later claimed that the Arabic word he used for "Earth" also means "Ground" and he was only denying Earth's rotation. Desipte this some fundamentalists will have followed his original statement.

GeneralDouchebag
361946.  Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:

I have also just realised that your response doesn't actually answer any of the points.

I have seen launches of bloody great rockets with complex machines inside them. These rockets go all the way through the clouds and out of visual range and don't immediately come crashing down again. Are you honestly saying that they go to all that trouble and expense but don't leave the satellite up there?

This is really just an unfounded guess, but isn't it possible to bounce radio/sonar/micro/insert wave type here waves off of the moon? I think it has been done. Both Kasroa and I are REers that practice our skills on the site, so you can probably get more actual FE ideas if you joined.

Sadurian Mike
361952.  Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote

GeneralDouchebag wrote:
This is really just an unfounded guess, but isn't it possible to bounce radio/sonar/micro/insert wave type here waves off of the moon? I think it has been done. Both Kasroa and I are REers that practice our skills on the site, so you can probably get more actual FE ideas if you joined.

Well I am in no hurry to join so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Theoretically you could bounce signals off the moon but, aside from the power issues to make a signal powerful enough, this would only work for transmitting to and from an Earth site facing the moon. Not a lot of good for transglobal communications.

You'd also not be able to triangulate on the signal, which would therefore render GPS inoperable.

GeneralDouchebag
361955.  Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote

For the first point, in FE the Moon circles above the Earth, but I'll let you have the second point.

Page 4 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next