View previous topic | View next topic

Flat Earth Society

Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

GeneralDouchebag
361197.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote

I actually am, and it is believed that a few ignorant Conspiracy soldiers are told to guard it. That particular problem is yet to occur, as far as we know.

Kasroa
361225.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Kasroa wrote:
That is one road of discussion you DO NOT want to go down!

THEY just don't want you to go down that road of discussions.

No, no, you've completely misunderstood what I was trying to say. The reason one should never bother discussing the conspiracy is very obvious, like I said, if you think about it. The conspiracy has no evidence to prove it and no evidence to disprove it. It forms the very foundation of FE theory and without it, the theory could not possibly exist. You have no idea how many threads have been made about the conspiracy and for how long they go on with absolutely no progress made by either side. All these threads eventually just die off with no difference between page one and page 101.

You're also wrong to assume they don't want you to go down that road. They absolutely do want you to for the very reasons stated above.

Kasroa
361242.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote

I lied it's a big cult and one day we'll be proven right!!

GeneralDouchebag
361249.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote

Soon you will all know the truth.

CB27
361250.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
CB27 wrote:
that religious thinking dictated that the Earth was flat until just a few generations ago

This is wrong. It has never been a tenet, at least of Christian, belief that the Earth was flat.

http://christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c034.html

Ahh, a common mistake to make, thinking that Christian leaders and writers represent the views of all Christians.

A perfect example would be a passage from "Sailing Alone Around the World" by the great Joshua Slocum who, it could be said, was the first man to single handedly physically prove the world was round. As he reached the Transvaal in South Africa he was approached by three Boers, including a clergyman, who gave him a pamphlet that claimed to prove that the Earth was flat. In fact, when Paul Kruger, president of the Transvaal, was told that Slocum was sailing around the world he reportedly got really angry and said "You don't mean round the world, it is impossible! You mean in the world. Impossible!". It was captured in a cartoon in a Cape Town publication called Owl, you can see a copy of it in Slocum's book on page 244.

Flash
361256.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote

Actually the posters above make the FE forum sound like quite an interesting place. As I read it, the position seems to be "of course no-one seriously maintains that the Earth is flat, but, as a debating exercise, if we did want to urge that position, how would we do so?"

Sadurian Mike
361258.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote

Has anyone actually visited the Edge yet? Given that we have had umpteen explorers, pioneers and trade ships (including submarines going right under the North Pole and out the other side), I would have though that at least one of these would have seen some evidence.

Also satellite orbits might be a little hard to explain given that:

1. We know there are up there because we get our communications and GPS signals from them.
2. The orbital (as opposed to geostationary) ones do a damned good job of shooting from one "side" of the world to the other without a break in transmission.
3. They are launched (not all by NASA by a long shot) with software and assumptions based on a round earth and yet seem to work without disappearing off of some theorised Edge.

I am happy to say that I would never condemn a man for his beliefs, but I will always leap to argue against patent bollocks.

GeneralDouchebag
361259.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote

One or two people really believe it, and make a compelling argument. (more so than myself)

Flash
361261.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote

And CB27, I dare say that various people who were irrational enough to believe in a flat earth were also irrational enough to be religious, but djgordy is surely right: it has never been the case that "religious thinking dictated that the world was flat". Thinking about the Earth by people who were also religious isn't necessarily religious thinking.

djgordy
361270.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
djgordy wrote:
CB27 wrote:
that religious thinking dictated that the Earth was flat until just a few generations ago

This is wrong. It has never been a tenet, at least of Christian, belief that the Earth was flat.

http://christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c034.html

Ahh, a common mistake to make, thinking that Christian leaders and writers represent the views of all Christians.

There is a difference between Christian belief and the views that individual Christians might have on any non-doctrinal matter. It has never been part of Christian belief that the Elvis was better than Cliff but probably some do believe that.

djgordy
361272.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Has anyone actually visited the Edge yet?

I think Bono went round for coffee yesterday afternoon.

Sadurian Mike
361285.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:
Has anyone actually visited the Edge yet?

I think Bono went round for coffee yesterday afternoon.

Stop it.

Tas
361325.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote

That was actually almost chucklesome, djg. Careful.

:-)

Tas

Kasroa
361327.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Has anyone actually visited the Edge yet? Given that we have had umpteen explorers, pioneers and trade ships (including submarines going right under the North Pole and out the other side), I would have though that at least one of these would have seen some evidence.

Also satellite orbits might be a little hard to explain given that:

1. We know there are up there because we get our communications and GPS signals from them.
2. The orbital (as opposed to geostationary) ones do a damned good job of shooting from one "side" of the world to the other without a break in transmission.
3. They are launched (not all by NASA by a long shot) with software and assumptions based on a round earth and yet seem to work without disappearing off of some theorised Edge.

I am happy to say that I would never condemn a man for his beliefs, but I will always leap to argue against patent bollocks.

To answer all three points in one go: Triangulation/communication does not require satellites.

djgordy
361333.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Yes, Mike. you fool. Don't you realise that there are no satellites? They are just part of the conspiracy.

Honestly, some people just never get up to speed.

Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next