View previous topic | View next topic

Flat Earth Society

Page 1 of 7
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

GeneralDouchebag
360740.  Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote

I am a member of the Flat Earth Society, and was disappointed to see the ignorant slating of our theory on QI, a show I normally enjoy. If you wish to see more about our theory and society, we can be found at http://theflatearthsociety.org/

And if you wish to use our theory as a question in a show, or better yet, an episode, we would gladly help you in your research. My username there is the same as here if anybody wants to ask me. Thank you all for your time.

CB27
360802.  Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote

What's so ignorant of slating a proposition that contains such answers as these:

Q: "Why do the all the world Governments say the Earth is round?"
A: It's a conspiracy

Q: "What about NASA? Don't they have photos to prove that the Earth is round?"
A: NASA is part of the conspiracy too. The photos are faked.

Q: "What is the motive behind this conspiracy?"
A: The motive is unknown although it is probably money

Q: "If you're not sure about the motive, why do you say there is a conspiracy?"
A: Well it's quite simple really; if the earth is in fact flat, then the governments must be lying when they say it isn't.

Q: "How are the world governments organized enough to carry out this conspiracy?"
A: They only appear to be disorganized to make the conspiracy seem implausible.

Q: Why is NASA’s space shuttle runway curved?
A: It was specially constructed by NASA to be so. After all NASA are at the heart of the conspiracy.

Tas
360805.  Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote

*chuckles*

:-)

Tas

GeneralDouchebag
360846.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:40 am Reply with quote

The FAQ does give fairly short answers. NASA, it is believed, started the Conspiracy during the closing days of the Space Race when they realized that sustained spaceflight would be impossible due to the FE giving the impression of gravity by being accelerated upwards at 9.8m/s/s so to save face they used their budget to develop image editing software better than we, the public have now, and inviting other space agencies in when they came to the same realization.

Luckily, this also left over a lot of money to pocket, leaving them with more reason to protect the lie.

Flash
360873.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:24 am Reply with quote

General - if you're serious about this then you're very welcome indeed here. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that if you can convince us that the Earth is flat we'll be as intrigued as intrigued can be.

I'm not properly familiar with geoplanarian theory, so if you don't mind doing a bit of hand-holding it'd be good to have some help with this: I can see how people might have had a working assumption that the Earth was flat back in the days when they couldn't see any evidence to the contrary. At that time it might have been reasonable to say to a Round Earth proponent: "A round Earth? That seems improbable. The burden of evidence is on you to prove it."

Nowadays, however, many or even most people have personal experience which supports the idea of a round Earth. The experience of sailing towards an island which comes into view gradually, starting with the mountain tops, is common and clearly confirms that the surface of the sea is at least curved. Many people have done 'round the world' journeys, and almost everyone has taken an aeroplane flight in the knowledge that navigational systems are based on Round Earth assumptions. Lots of people are sufficiently interested in astronomy to understand how astronomical observations vary from place to place in ways which are explained by a Round Earth.

In other words, given that the idea of a Round Earth is not inherently improbable (although perhaps you don't agree with that?) it seems to me that the burden of proof has clearly shifted - ie so many people have personal experience of phenomena which support the Round Earth hypothesis that it's really up to the geoplanarians to make the opposite case. People are entitled to say: "You propose an hypothesis which seems to fly in the face of the everyday empirical evidence - why?"

So my question is, do you think that's fair?

On the other hand, if you aren't serious then you're still welcome, of course.

CB27
360917.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote

Terrific advice there Flash. I'd also add that it adds very little credence to any argument when people cite conspiracy theories to dismiss studies and proof to the contrary.

Starfish13
360967.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote

What is on the 'tails' side of the flat earth?

Oooohhhh, I bet its a turtle.

The Great Prickly of Pear
360970.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote

I think its four elephants carrying the world standing on giant turtle

Tas
360976.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote

Nope. Tis Australia. The Earth is flat, and it curves all the way to the middle in a dome kind of shape. The underneath does the same and joins at a place called the Equator.

:-)

Tas

cnb
360980.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote

Quote:
The Earth is flat, and it curves all the way to the middle in a dome kind of shape. The underneath does the same and joins

I'm struggling to visualise this shape Tas. Are you saying that Earth is shaped like ravioli?

Tas
361015.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote

LOL@cnb. Think of a tennis ball cut in half. That's a dome shape. The bottom bit looks like the bottom bit of the tennis ball. They are then joined back together and make a curved flat Earth.

:-D

Tas

GeneralDouchebag
361028.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote

If you really want to know more, you can ask on the forums. You'll be the first non-trolls in months if you do. It is unknown what's on the other side, but we can hardly go and see. Some believe that the Earth is an infinite plane, bisecting the universe and what we call Antarctica goes on forever with other oases of life like out own. However, the "sinking ship" phenomenon is generally considered to be due to refraction, and atmospheric opacity accounts for the reason we can see the Moon and not France, if we were to stand on the top of Ben Nevis. On the four elephants and a turtle thing, that's in the FAQ, but is a joke. So many people call us retards for that, it's sad, really.

djgordy
361029.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote

There is a nice over-view of the flat earth idea here.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/flat/flateart.htm

GeneralDouchebag
361035.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote

The ancient Egyptians and modern FEers have little relation, www.theflatearthsociety.org is the site to visit.

CB27
361045.  Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote

I've had a look at the site, but the FAQ and looking at a couple of other things there tells me enough to realise there's nothing to debate there because anything contradictory is either a conspiracy or unknown so there's no real wish to debate there.

If you want to debate FE theory here I'm sure lots of people will be willing to join in, though I think you'll want to avoid using conspiracies as a defence because it doesn't really wash in a proper debate.

Just telling people to go over and visit your site sounds to me like good old fashioned spam.

Page 1 of 7
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next