The TV Show

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Flash
709.  Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:45 pm Reply with quote

OK, I'm in. Jen?

Jenny
713.  Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:53 pm Reply with quote

Only if you lot will pay the airfare :-)

But I suspect the difference between us and the kind of people on the show is that when confronted by TV cameras we might get that rabbit-caught-in-the-headlights glazed look. Although Fred's a bit more experienced than we are, aren't you Fred?

Go on Flashy - you go first!

Flash
717.  Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:58 pm Reply with quote

That's OK, Jack will edit it so we look good.

Actually, all this kind of talk is probably making him nervous. Let's change the subject. Errr .... so - seen any good films recently? Or are you fonder of tennis?

Frederick The Monk
718.  Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Well volunteered Flash! This is just the sort of gesture we need at a time like this to.............

JumpingJack
721.  Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Agree with all that.

First of all, Flash, of course I didn't take your comment personally in the least. I have to admit that actually I hadn't heard of Jackie myself before Alan Davies suggested her. I had heard of Jimmy but had no idea what he looked like till he turned up in the studio.

Indeed as Fred says there was a problem with the commissioning people over who to cast in this first series: not only re.famousness, but re age, sex and 'BBC2ness'. It was quite trying.

However, the ageism that has infected the Birtian and post-Birtian BBC is waning. Anne Robinson is no spring chicken but is commonly agreed to be on the cool list by those who think like that, and everyone thinks Clement Freud was rather good on Have I Got News the other night.

I imagine we'll have quite a bit more freedom second time round, and the idea indeed is to slip more 'new', less obvious people into the mix.

You lot are, of course, on the long shortlist.

Quite seriously, though, I propose we try to get some of us on a cheap non-audience BBC4 talk-show version first, as practice. Or radio.

But it's a lot harder to get these things commissioned, even with teeny audiences, than you might expect. We're trying though, and I will bring it up with the BBC2 Genre Commissioner at my lunch with His Nibs on Tuesday.

Last edited by JumpingJack on Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
722.  Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Now I've heard that line before somewhere...

Flash
725.  Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Gallant majors in the Bengal Lancers who used to come up to you at the Viceroy's garden party and offer you a part in the club panto, that kind of thing? I know, I know ...

Jenny
726.  Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Well I wasn't quite five when I left India, Flash, so if any major was being particularly gallant it probably went over my head in the most literal possible sense.

Flash
729.  Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:24 pm Reply with quote

The other day I gave my father a wonderful and very interesting book called "Plain Tales From the Raj", which was based on a Radio 4 series (made in the 70s, I think) which interviewed people who had been part of the Raj as children, administrators, soldiers, etc. It's out of print now, but vg if you can find a copy.

Liebig
730.  Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:22 pm Reply with quote

I thought that Jackie Clune was great; I had the feeling that nobody else did. Her gag about the whatever-it-is cushion with two horns was sublime.

Jenny
731.  Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:20 pm Reply with quote

I've vaguely heard of 'Plain Tales from the Raj' and I'd probably enjoy it (though the Raj was over when I was born). I read three lovely volumes of autobiography by the novelist M M Kaye, who was born around 1905 I think, and brought up in India, kept there longer than normal for the daughter of a civil servant (British children often being sent home to school in England) because of WW1, and later lived in Hillingdon, where I used to live many years later. Her novels are romantic sagas, but quite readable and a bit less bodice-ripping than many.

Frances
1223.  Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:00 am Reply with quote

Re the 3 wise monkeys - there were originally four. See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil - and Do no evil, with his hands strategically folded over his groin.

Flash
1228.  Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:24 am Reply with quote

That's good info - do you have any sources, or somewhere I could find an illustration of the four?

Frances
1233.  Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:38 am Reply with quote

Sorry, Flash, like most of my info it bobs up from the maelstrom of my memory in a most disorganised way. But I'll see what I can do; it seems to me that it actually came from the owner of a wee shop in the High Street who sold sets of the four, so I'll call in and check.

Flash
1256.  Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:32 pm Reply with quote

Don't go to any trouble - I can research it.

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next