View previous topic | View next topic

The TV Show

Page 6 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Jenny
731.  Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:20 pm Reply with quote

I've vaguely heard of 'Plain Tales from the Raj' and I'd probably enjoy it (though the Raj was over when I was born). I read three lovely volumes of autobiography by the novelist M M Kaye, who was born around 1905 I think, and brought up in India, kept there longer than normal for the daughter of a civil servant (British children often being sent home to school in England) because of WW1, and later lived in Hillingdon, where I used to live many years later. Her novels are romantic sagas, but quite readable and a bit less bodice-ripping than many.

Frances
1223.  Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:00 am Reply with quote

Re the 3 wise monkeys - there were originally four. See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil - and Do no evil, with his hands strategically folded over his groin.

Flash
1228.  Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:24 am Reply with quote

That's good info - do you have any sources, or somewhere I could find an illustration of the four?

Frances
1233.  Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:38 am Reply with quote

Sorry, Flash, like most of my info it bobs up from the maelstrom of my memory in a most disorganised way. But I'll see what I can do; it seems to me that it actually came from the owner of a wee shop in the High Street who sold sets of the four, so I'll call in and check.

Flash
1256.  Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:32 pm Reply with quote

Don't go to any trouble - I can research it.

Page 6 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6