View previous topic | View next topic

FLOTSAM - Batman and Robin

Page 1 of 1

Molly Cule
350591.  Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote

Why would anyone in their right mind not want to get The Boy Wonder’s autograph?

A3. According to his autobiography, Robin, aka Bert Ward took advantage of his fame, donating his “Bat-sperm” to his fans in what he called “The Ultimate Autograph”.

The Ultimate Autograph

Burt Ward who played Robin the Boy Wonder, sidekick to Batman wrote an autobiography called “Boy Wonder, My life in tights”. In it he talks about his sexual exploits with fans and the thousands of women to whom he donated his, his words not mine ‘Batsperm’. This he calls ‘the ultimate autograph’. Apparently Batman sometimes watched.

Burt Ward also tells readers about “The Battle of my Bulge” explaining how the network had many a complaint about the bulge in Robin’s tights and the on set doctor proscribed him mystery pills to shrink his balls during filming.

Burt Ward general info

Burt was born Bert John Gervis (with a soft ‘g’, Ward was his mother’s maiden name) in 1945. His nickname when he was a kid was ‘Sparky’ as he was full of energy. He was featured in ‘Strange as it seems’ a forerunner to The Guinness Book of Records as the youngest professional ice-skater as he was performing age 2. His parents owned a traveling ice-show called Rhapsody on Ice. At college he liked chess, karate and speed reading; his highest speed: 30,000 words per minute with 90% comprehension. Before his role as Robin came up he was an estate agent and sold two houses. When Batman was at the height of its popularity he recorded two songs, “Boy Wonder, I love you’ produced by Frank Zappa and ‘Orange Coloured Sky’ released in 1966. When Batman was cancelled in 1968 he found it hard to find work. He made appearances as Robin, attended to his fan club and then started charity work for children. He and his wife started a charity called Gentle Giants Rescue and Adoptions, Inc which rescues giant breed dogs.

Batman and Robin general info

Batman was co-created by artist Bob Kane and writer Bill Finger and published by DC comics. Batman was originally called the Bat-Man. He first appeared in “The Case of the Chemical Syndicate” in Detective Comics number 27 in May 1939. Bill Finger said Bruce Wayne’s name came from Robert Bruce, the Scottish patriot and Wayne from Mad Anthony Wayne; a US statesman and brigadier general in the American Revolutionary War. When Kane first drew Batman he had a small domino mask like the one Robin later wore and a red suit with black wings and mask. Bill Finger suggested he should loose the red, get some gloves and look more like a bat.

Unlike most superheroes he has no superpowers, he uses his intellect, detective skills, wealth, fitness and powers of intimidation to fight crime, with the help of Robin and his butler Alfred Pennyworth. Robin was introduced after a year of Batman strips after Finger’s suggestion that Batman needed a sidekick with whom he could talk. When Robin was introduced sales doubled.

The way in which Batman and Robin have been depicted has changed over the over yet the central fixed event in the Batman stories is the character's origin story; when he was eight his parents were murdered by a mugger called Joe Chill in front of his eyes. This is the reason he is devoted to fighting crime. He often visited the site in Crime Alley where it happened. His character began when he said "Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot.. so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. I must be a creature of the night, black, terrible..." At that moment a bat flew through the window, inspiring Bruce to assume the persona of Batman.

In 1954 a psychologist Frederic Wertham published a book called ‘Seduction of the Innocent’ in 1954. He said that comics were corrupting the morals of children, with regards to Batman he claimed he and Robin were portrayed as lovers and criticized the comic for its homosexual overtones. He said “"Only someone ignorant of the fundamentals of psychiatry and of the psychopathology of sex can fail to realize a subtle atmosphere of homoeroticism which pervades the adventures of the mature 'Batman' and his young friend 'Robin'". There was an outcry and the Comics Code Authority was set up. Batman became more light-hearted and Batwoman (beginning 1956) and Bat-Girl (in 1961) came on the scene.

To call Batman Gotham City would send out a bat shaped sign into the sky, the bat-signal. In the TV series Commissioner Gordon had a Bat-Phone with a cake cover over the top that went directly to Wayne Manor.

Page 1 of 1