View previous topic | View next topic

Fleas

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

MatC
345628.  Tue May 27, 2008 5:05 am Reply with quote

Ah - no. "Because it isn't" is I suppose the only answer. Perhaps he will need to be lured into it ...

Stephen: Which of our modern sports is mentioned in Sh?
David: Football.
Stephen: But not cricket?
David: No, cricket wasn't inven-
FX: Klaxon.

Jenny
345770.  Tue May 27, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote

Be careful to use the word cricket in the context of sport, because the word in the context of insect appears three times in Shakespeare's plays:

1) Act V. Scene V. The Merry Wives of Windsor. Craig, W.J., ed. 1914. The Oxford Shakespeare
...Hobgoblin, make the fairy oyes. Pist. Elves, list your names: silence, you airy toys! 20 Cricket, to Windsor chimneys shalt thou leap: Where fires thou find st unrak...

2) Act I. Scene IV. Romeo and Juliet. Craig, W.J., ed. 1914. The Oxford Shakespeare
...the smallest spider s web; 68 The collars, of the moonshine s watery beams; Her whip, of cricket s bone; the lash, of film; Her waggoner, a small grey-coated gnat,...

3) Act IV. Scene III. The Taming of the Shrew. Craig, W.J., ed. 1914. The Oxford Shakespeare
...116 Thou yard, three-quarters, half-yard, quarter, nail! Thou flea, thou nit, thou winter-cricket thou! Brav d in mine own house with a skein of thread! Away! thou...

Flash
345776.  Tue May 27, 2008 8:14 am Reply with quote

Maybe:

Shakespeare mentions football x times, but how often does he mention the cricket?

F: never

A: three times. He was referring to the animal, not the game, but the fact is, etc, etc

MatC
345800.  Tue May 27, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote

Oh yes, that's lovely. Double bubble!

Jenny
345809.  Tue May 27, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote

Unless it's referred to by some other name, Shakespeare mentions football twice, according to the Bartleby search engine:

1) Act I. Scene IV. King Lear. Craig, W.J., ed. 1914. The Oxford Shakespeare
...him. Osw. I ll not be struck, my lord. 52 Kent. Nor tripped neither, you base football player. [Tripping up his heels. Lear. I thank thee, fellow; thou servest me,...

2) Act II. Scene I. The Comedy of Errors. Craig, W.J., ed. 1914. The Oxford Shakespeare
...fetch thy master home. Dro. E. Am I so round with you as you with me, 80 That like a football you do spurn me thus? You spurn me hence, and he will spurn me hither:...

suze
345816.  Tue May 27, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote

Excellent Jenny, I thought of doing that exercise but couldn't immediately find a way to do it.

Turns out that there are also two uses of the word "cricket" (Merry Wives of Windsor and Taming of the Shrew), but in both cases he meant Gryllidae rather than bats and balls.

Jenny
345852.  Tue May 27, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote

See post 345770 Suze :-)

suze
345862.  Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote

Damn you suze, read the whole thread !!!

Lhyzz
1090564.  Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote

I accidentally found this old thread, and had to add: just about any "fact" about American laws. Most of these were made up ages ago as jokes, and somehow ended up as "trivia". All the so-called researches of this show would have to do is look up the statutes for the various states and localities (they're almost all completely online) and search for some keywords that, unsurprisingly, never turn up.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2