View previous topic | View next topic

QI Children's books

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jenny
246778.  Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote

I am not personally keen on Artemis Fowl, and would have thought it might be a bit unchallenging for a child who can cope with His Dark Materials. How old is your nephew, Izzardesque? How about introducing him to the first two or three books of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series?

nepfan89
246805.  Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote

Artemis Fowl was a good series. But yes, Pratchett is always a good choice.

Izzardesque
247047.  Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:29 am Reply with quote

He's 10.

Celebaelin
247057.  Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:48 am Reply with quote

Quote:
The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents is the 28th novel in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, published in 2001. It was the first Discworld book to be aimed at the younger market; this was followed by The Wee Free Men in 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Maurice_and_his_Educated_Rodents

I haven't read either of these but at a guess either would be a good place to start a 10 yr old on Pratchett.

Izzardesque
247060.  Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote

Well as a big fan of Pratchett, I see the attraction. I shall have a ponder.

Jenny
247754.  Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote

There are a couple of non-Discworld Terry Pratchetts aimed at younger readers too.

Izzardesque
247968.  Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote

The problem with Pratchett is that both his dad AND myself have all the books anyway, so he could just borrow them.

Starfish13
248012.  Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:22 am Reply with quote

I'd like to recommend an excellent book for young adults, possibly once they have tackled something like the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. 'In the Shadow of the Ark' by Anne Provoost is a retelling of the story of Noah, from the p.o.v. of a young girl whose father comes to work on the building project. It does contain sexual references and would probably be found offensive to very religious readers, but it is extremely well written and very thought provoking.

For younger readers, you can't beat 'We're Going on a Bear Hunt' by Michael Rosen.

'Can't go over it, can't go under it, have to go throught it!'

Izzardesque
248766.  Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:03 am Reply with quote

I was made to sing that for ages by my friend's 4 year old son!

dotcom
250141.  Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote

I'd really love some recommendations for some interesting young adult books, if anyone can suggest anything. I've read an awful lot of children's books, including all the obvious culprits like Rosoff, Pullman, Rowling, Cooper, Wynne-Jones, Le Guin etc and I'd really like to read something different and interesting. Although I work in a bookshop, I haven't really seen anything that's initially jumped out, although I did cast an eye over "The Declaration", before deciding it was probably a bit too much like "Never Let Me Go" to bother with. I do read adult fiction as well, so if anyone can suggest any crossover books, any genre, any era, I'd be thrilled. Thanks in advance...

Sebastian flyte
250207.  Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote

Hello Dotcom :) I didn't really 'do' the whole young adult book thing so am not much use really, I haven't read anything from your list aside from Rowling. :) We have a wonderful amount of books in our house and I just would pick out things I liked the sound of. What I can recommend are the novels of Evelyn Waugh especially 'Decline and Fall' to start with, anyone from about eight could read them I think, 'Vile Bodies' is fantastic and the 'Sword of Honour Trilogy' also by Waugh is great if you don't mind 'war things'.

Jenny
250212.  Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote

Try some Aidan Chambers, dotcom, and some Melvyn Burgess.

samivel
250219.  Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Robert Cormier is a good author for young adults.

Jenny
250232.  Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote

Oh yes, I've read a few of his and enjoyed them.

Starfish13
252103.  Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:45 am Reply with quote

Hi dotcom,

The 'Tales of the Otori' series by Lian Hearn is very good, especially if you liked films like 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', but for older teens. Michelle Paver's 'Chronicles of Ancient Darkness' series is a good follow up for readers who have tackled the HP books, following the story of a young boy called Torak in stone age times.

I got a book called 'Blood Red, Snow White' for Xmas, about the Russian Revolution and Arthur Ransome (who wrote the Swallows and Amazons series) which looks promising, so I'll let you know what I think when I get round to reading it.

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next