View previous topic | View next topic

QI Children's books

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

samivel
106611.  Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Why does Janice's post seem suspiciously spammy to me?

Maybe it's because it provides three links to the same site. I'm quite interested in your friend's book, so I'm happy for you to provide me with a link to it. ;)

strukkanurv
110026.  Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote

Here's a list of children's book titles which, for some reason or other, didn't make it to your local book shop.

1. You Are Different and That's Bad
2. The Boy Who Died From Eating All His Vegetables
3. Dad's New Wife Robert
4. Fun Four-letter Words to Know and Share
5. Hammers, Screwdrivers and Scissors: An 'I-Can-Do' Book
6. The Kid's Guide to Hitchhiking
7. Kathy Was So Bad Her Mummy Stopped Loving Her
8. Curious George and the High-Voltage Fence
9. All Cats go to Hell
10. The Little Sissy Who Snitched
11. Some Kittens Can Fly
12. That's It, I'm Putting You Up For Adoption
13. Grandpa Gets a Casket
14. The Magic World Inside the Abandoned Refrigerator
15. Garfield Gets Feline Leukemia
16. The Pop-up Book of Human Anatomy
17. Strangers Have the Best Sweets
18. Whining, Kicking and Crying to Get Your Way
19. You Were an Accident
20. Things Rich Kids Have, But You Never Will
21. Pop! Goes the Hamster...And Other Great Microwave Games
22. The Man in the Moon is Actually Satan
23. Your Nightmares Are Real
24. Where Would You Like to be Buried?
25. Eggs, Toilet Paper and Your School
26. Why Can't Mr. Fork and Mrs. Plug Socket be Friends?
27. Places Where Mummy and Daddy Hide Cool Things
28. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
29. The Wasp Sandwich
30. Santa Claus: Alias The Bogey Man

Sebastian flyte
245517.  Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:26 am Reply with quote

Moomins..*looks about all shame-faced*

Jenny
245812.  Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote

Does anybody else think that the His Dark Materials trilogy isn't really a children's book at all?

smiley_face
246002.  Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quote

I'd be tempted to agree with you on that, Jenny. I read the trilogy a few years ago and enjoyed it (if I remember correctly) in a similar way to the Harry Potter books. I thought it had a good plot, good characters, etc. etc.

I've just started reading it for a second time and I'm having a completely different "experience" (for want of a better word).

I think it's like a lot of books really. Lord of the Flies was a very different book when I read it aged ten to when I read it last year. As you get older and have a broader perspective of life, I guess you read books on different levels.

Well that's my take on it, but I'd still say I was more a child than an adult, so there we go! :-P

Lumpo31
246023.  Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote

Interesting re His Dark Materials. Daughter just received the trilogy for her birthday. She's a fairly naive 11 year old...should I read them first, or just let her read them and let anything dark wash over her head?

Mind you, she's quite a fan of Fighting Fantasy and so on, so maybe she's not so naive as her Mummy would like to think (nah, she is really).

Lisa

swot
246091.  Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote

Maybe you could ask her about it after she's read it, and assess the 'damage'? I'm sure she's intelligent enough to know the phrase 'It's just fiction'? Or you could read them together.

I'm about halfway through the third book, and I've not found it particularly dark (though it has its moments), but I am twice her age.

smiley_face
246121.  Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote

I think she'd be OK reading it to be honest. Anything that is too sinister will probably go sailing over her head, and if it doesn't, then as swot said, just speak to her about the books to probe.

It'd be a shame not to let her read the trilogy - it's really quite good.

Jenny
246336.  Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote

I don't think it would do her any *harm* Lisa, but I don't think she'll get as much out of it as an older teenager or adult.

smiley_face
246344.  Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I don't think it would do her any *harm* Lisa, but I don't think she'll get as much out of it as an older teenager or adult.

I think that's the case with a lot of books. I'm still growing up (Is "growing up" a process which ever ceases though?) and so find that I get a very different perspective of books every time I read them. I quite like it though - it's always interesting when I finish a book and think about how it was different to the last time I read it.

samivel
246348.  Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote

I think that's probably true, but then again, if you have read a book in your childhood and then read it again in a different way as a teenager and/or an adult, it can allow you to appreciate the different 'levels' of the book. For example, I read Animal Farm at about 9 or 10 and thought it was an enjoyable animal fable, then read it at 16 and saw the political allegory in it.

Sebastian flyte
246416.  Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:
Interesting re His Dark Materials. Daughter just received the trilogy for her birthday. She's a fairly naive 11 year old...should I read them first, or just let her read them and let anything dark wash over her head?

Mind you, she's quite a fan of Fighting Fantasy and so on, so maybe she's not so naive as her Mummy would like to think (nah, she is really).

Lisa

Dark won't wash over her head ;) dark will sit very mysteriously with her :) nothing wrong with a bit of dark, I'm not much older than 11 myself *cough* and have enough bleak in my mind alone to be going along with it is about the right age for a bit of darkness I think. More so for girls. Reading about slightly adult themes is a good grounding I'd say. Although, every child is different and you would know best. I haven't read them you know, I don't read much new stuff really. :)

Sebastian flyte
246417.  Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote

all this from the boy banned from watching pans labyrinth as my dad thinks its too scary ie he finds it scary

Izzardesque
246718.  Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote

My nephew has really got into reading so I was thinking on buying him some books for Christmans. He's read Master Potter and one of the His Dark Materials trilogy. Any recommendations? I thought Artemis Fowl as I read the first one and thought it was pretty good.

smiley_face
246748.  Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote

Midnight for Charlie Bone is supposed to be good. I know my sister certainly enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if your nephew might be too old for it, especially when he's read HDM and HP.

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next