View previous topic | View next topic

FOOD: Fat & Muscle

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
336999.  Thu May 15, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote

Question: After all this eating I've decided to get fit. Could any of you
suggest how I turn my fat into rippling muscle and how much weight
will I lose if I manage to convert it all?

Forfiet: I like this Q, but it doesn't really have a forfiet does it? Maybe it can be re-written to wheedle one out

Answer:
Go away, and don't come back until you've learned some biology.

Notes:
It is a complete myth that you can turn fat into muscle, and indeed that when you stop exercising your muscles turns to fat – the fact is that they are two completely different tissues with different structures and functions. Anyone trying to turn one into the other is nothing more than a sweaty alchemist.

The reason for the myth is probably that the trained physique has a very thin covering of fat, and a high proportion of muscle. When you lay off the training, your muscle goes to pot and you put on weight, simultaneously. So it seems as though the muscle has turned directly into fat. Your muscles grow by being torn microscopically and then rebuilt.

There is another tale that muscle weighs more than fat; but this one is fair, muscle is denser, so given an equal volume of muscle and fat, the muscle would weigh more.

The strongest muscle in the body is a tough call, mainly because there are different ways of measuring this. The strongest muscle “pound-for-pound” is probably the myometrial layer of the uterus: during birth it extracts about the same force as a crossbow. The strongest muscles overall are those with the largest cross-sectional area, the quadriceps femoris or the gluteus maximus.

Picture Ideas:
Body builders and particularly lardy people.

MatC
337031.  Thu May 15, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote

Wouldn't anything like body building, working out, get down the gym, lift weights, etc do as a forfeit?

eggshaped
337033.  Thu May 15, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote

Yep, I guess you're right. I just don't think I read it properly. Thanks.

loqk
869238.  Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote

"It is a complete myth that you can turn fat into muscle, and indeed that when you stop exercising your muscles turns to fat – the fact is that they are two completely different tissues with different structures and functions. "

though popular, this is not really a useful answer.

the energy in your body, on average, is roughly constant.

it could easily be argued that fat cells are broken down, and synthesized into muscle cells. this has the same definition of turning fat cells into muscle cells and uses the same energy (and chemicals) for two completely different cell types.

a few months ago, i came to reply that the above answer that fat cannot turn into muscle was complete bunk for the listed reason.

then i discovered the primary reason fat cannot be converted to muscle.

muscle is made of (mostly) oxygen, nitrogen, carbon and hydrogen (not in any particular order).

fat is made of (mostly) carbon, oxygen and hydrogen.

your body does in fact break down fat to synthesize muscle and vice versa.

however, when you break down fat to make muscle, you need nitrogen from your diet to make up the difference.

similarly, when muscle is broken down, to be converted to fat, the extra nitrogen appears to be eliminated as waste.

so the answer is not "they are different types of cells and therefore cannot be converted into each other" a car can become a dishwasher through recycling, just as fat can be recycled into muscle.

the answer is that muscle is, in large part, nitrogen, which is not contained in fat. in the same way that silicon rubber cannot be recycled into polystyrene.

it is the chemistry, not the biology that makes it impossible to convert fat into muscle without a little outside help.

loqk
869239.  Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote

if the question was, how do i turn my fat cells into muscle cells, the answer in the episode would be correct.

Page 1 of 1