View previous topic | View next topic

FOOD: Tooth Decay

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
336989.  Thu May 15, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote

Question: What is the worst thing to eat for tooth decay?

Forfeit: Sweets, Chocolate

Answer:
Crisps and Raisins

Notes:
It isn't sugar that rots your teeth, it's the bacteria (primarily Streptococcus Mutans) that feed off the sugars in your mouth; a by-product of this bacteria-feeding is acid that eats away at enamel and causes cavities. Bacteria don’t just eat sugar, they’re happy with any carbohydrates, so the foods that are worst for your teeth are those that contain carbs and that stay there the longest. Unlike sugars which dissolve quickly in your saliva, cooked starches, particularly potato starch in products such as crisps, cling longer to the teeth meaning that more acid is produced. Raisins are also terrible for getting stuck in one’s teeth for long periods.

It was reported in 2000 that components found in chocolate can protect against tooth decay, cocoa beans contain antibacterial agents that can offset the fact that it is a food for mouth-dwelling bacteria. Dental caries (tooth decay) is the most widespread and commonest human disease in the world. Ideally one should brush one’s teeth after every meal in order to remove all remnants from your teeth. Chairman Mao never brushed his teeth, instead rinsing out his mouth with tea every morning.

People with gum disease are almost twice as likely to have coronary artery disease than those without, this is because bacteria from the mouth can find its way to the heart, causing blood clots. According to the British Dental Health Foundation, one in three people only brush their teeth once-a-day or less and one in three people think that fluoride is either a mint flavouring or a marketing gimmick, and.

Additional sources:
http://www.dentalhealth.org.uk/faqs/leafletdetail.php?LeafletID=61#faq766
National Smile Week
EBR

Picture ideas:
Someone with particulary bad teeth.

I'd like to know who has the worst teeth in the world, but I can't seem to find anything authoritative.

Jenny
337531.  Thu May 15, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote

Meth addicts have the worst teeth in the world. It's known as 'meth mouth'. I've worked with some amazingly pretty girls in prisons, until they open their mouths.

Frederick The Monk
338423.  Sat May 17, 2008 4:34 am Reply with quote

Is that because of the meths or the associated lifestyle?

suze
338606.  Sat May 17, 2008 12:41 pm Reply with quote

That question appears to be one which the media have often answered incorrectly. It's oft been claimed - or so I read - that meth itself damages the teeth, but it's not the case.

What is the case is that the drug inhibits the production of saliva. The absence of saliva exposes the teeth to the bacteria which cause tooth decay, and furthermore there's a tendency for users to treat the resultant dry mouth by drinking lots of Coke - which certainly doesn't help.

Oh, and users of meth tend not to be the sort of people who are punctilious about brushing twice a day with Colgate.

http://www.slate.com/id/2141709
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meth_mouth

Jenny
338751.  Sat May 17, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote

Incidentally, Fred, meth is not the same as meths.

Frederick The Monk
338807.  Sun May 18, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote

Ah you mean crystal meth. Personally I only drink meths.

Jenny
339120.  Sun May 18, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote

I'm choosy - I only drink meths from the south-facing slope of the vineyard.

Frederick The Monk
339168.  Mon May 19, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote

Now that's classy. I usally drink it out of a bag.

Page 1 of 1