View previous topic | View next topic

Boriswatch

Page 23 of 24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

barbados
437005.  Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote

Part of the problem is that drivers aren't allowed to think for themselves.

gerontius grumpus
437377.  Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote

My younger daughter had to write an obituary of a recently deceased famous person for her German AS course. She couldn't wait for him to die, so she wrote an obituary of Boris Johnson. She said that he had been run over by Jeremy Clarkson.
She got top marks of course.

Jenny
437384.  Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Ha! well done that girl. That's what I call inventive.

Baryonyx
1264306.  Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:27 am Reply with quote

Starfish13 wrote:
Boris is my MP at the moment. I think that following his pledge not to stand as mayor for more than two terms, we should start a campaign in due course to have him elected as President of the USA. (Being born in New York, he would be eligible)

Wrong blonde-haired buffoon I'm afraid

Alexander Howard
1264348.  Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote

Donald Trump is entitled to apply for British citizenship as his mother was British. So, The Boris and The Donald could do a job-swap.

Baryonyx
1264349.  Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote

I smell a sitcom!

Jenny
1264360.  Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote

I did read a suggestion the other day that the British were playing a long game by Prince Harry marrying Meghan Markle. Their children will be American as well as British, and if born in the USA would be entitled to run for President in the future. All it needs is for the unlikely event of Harry becoming King to come to pass, and his child could be simultaneously monarch of the UK and President of the USA - and the colonies would be ours again!

GuyBarry
1264367.  Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote

Or we'd end up as the 51st state...

cornixt
1264373.  Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote

I know you have to give up titles to become a US citizen, so I'm betting there is something similar to hold certain political offices. Don't think there is for the president though.

GuyBarry
1264378.  Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote

It's being reported that Meghan Markle is going to give up her US citizenship anyway.

suze
1264391.  Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote

I don't really follow celebrity gossip, but is Ms Markle planning to seek Canadian citizenship on the grounds of six years' residence in Toronto?

That must be it, because she's not eligible to apply for UK citizenship, and won't be until she has been married to Prince Harry for three years. Until they've been married for two years, she cannot even apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

She'll have to be careful not to spend more than ninety days in any 365 outside the UK (I managed to screw that one up by teaching English in Poland for a term, and so my Britishness was delayed by a year), and she will have to pass the Life In The UK exam.

cnb
1264394.  Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
That must be it, because she's not eligible to apply for UK citizenship, and won't be until she has been married to Prince Harry for three years. Until they've been married for two years, she cannot even apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Since 2012, it now takes at least five years of marriage and residence to become eligible for ILR and citizenship (you can apply for the latter as soon as you are granted the former).

cnb
1264395.  Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
She'll have to be careful not to spend more than ninety days in any 365 outside the UK (I managed to screw that one up by teaching English in Poland for a term, and so my Britishness was delayed by a year), and she will have to pass the Life In The UK exam.

That rule may not apply though, as there's a special rule for 'official' overseas postings. As such accompanying her husband on royal duties overseas won't count for this purpose.

The Home Office wrote:
Unless your spouse or civil partner works abroad either for the UK government or for an organisation closely linked to government, you must usually also have:

- lived in the UK for at least the 3 years before your application is received
- spent no more than 270 days outside the UK in those 3 years
- spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months

crissdee
1264396.  Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote

It may not be fair but, and I'm going out on a limb here, I'm guessing the whole "marrying the Queen's grandson" thing renders all other conditions moot.

Alfred E Neuman
1264399.  Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote

If she played reasonable cricket, I'm sure they'd make an exception for her, otherwise, I don't hold out too much hope for her.

Page 23 of 24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next