View previous topic | View next topic

Boriswatch

Page 4 of 24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Tas
331294.  Tue May 06, 2008 5:53 am Reply with quote

Quote:
And I have to say that I've never seen a copy of this 'The Londoner' newspaper mentioned in it.

They are left all over the Tube, along with London Lite and other freebies.

:-)

Tas

AndyMcH
331298.  Tue May 06, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote

Oooh I won the 50 quiz in the London Lite last week ! Ill get my name in the paper today !

(I dont know why but its still exciting !)

Lumpo31
331300.  Tue May 06, 2008 5:56 am Reply with quote

TubewayAndy wrote:
Oooh I wonthe 50 quiz in the London Lite last week ! Ill get my name in the paper today !

(I dont know why but its still exciting !)
Hooray! What sort of questions were in the quiz? I'll go and have a look see if it's online.

AndyMcH
331302.  Tue May 06, 2008 5:57 am Reply with quote

they were quite hard actually ! they have a theme, and you have to textin your answer. My mate has won it 5 times since Xmas !!

Neotenic
331305.  Tue May 06, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote

Nope - still never seen one, Tas.

Sure, there's the London Lite (retch), the Metro (heave), City AM (yawn) and thelondonpaper (retch, heave and yawn), but never a Londoner.

Granted, as you can probably tell, I have a fairly dim view of the free papers that clutter up the tube, so I may not be paying complete and total attention, but according to the GLA website;

Quote:
The Londoner is distributed ten times a year, to 3 million households across London.

So I fear you may be getting a little muddled with one of the other worthless rags that infect our collective psyche with their half-baked prattle.

Actually buying a paper with some real news and fully-formed opinions enclosed costs me around a fiver a week, and that is money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

AndyMcH
331309.  Tue May 06, 2008 6:03 am Reply with quote

The Londoner is delivered to our doors. Its handy for stopping hair going on my carpet when i get my clippers out..

Quote:
Actually buying a paper with some real news and fully-formed opinions enclosed costs me around a fiver a week, and that is money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

Glad you dont get the Standard then !!

Im quite happy with the free papers. I can get through the London Lite in the time it takes to get to Kings X and the London Paper lasts me the bus ride

Neotenic
331316.  Tue May 06, 2008 6:11 am Reply with quote

I assume you're at the Highbury end of Islington, Andy - not much reading time between Angel and Kings X!

Still, once you've hacked away all the showbiz gossip and 'would you believe it? hamster learns to unicycle!' type stories, that's probably ample time to get through it....

the London Paper is just Heat magazine printed on inferior paper, if you ask me. I'd rather sit and stare into space than subject my head to it.

But my commuting reading regime is to scan through the Times on my way in and to read a book (currently a compilation of Dawkins essays) on my way out, which works very nicely indeed.

AndyMcH
331330.  Tue May 06, 2008 6:20 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I assume you're at the Highbury end of Islington, Andy - not much reading time between Angel and Kings X!

Actually I'm nearer Angel but at that time the traffic is a nightmare. Yes I could get a tube but Im too lazy to walk home from the tube station !

Yes I often don't bother with The London Paper and by coincidence am just about to start reading another Dawkins book..

Broadsheets dont mix with commuting well. I always end up poking someone in the eye - they're too big

Izzardesque
331351.  Tue May 06, 2008 6:46 am Reply with quote

I used to scan the Metro's headlines so I knew what bits I'd want to look up for a proper read later!

scoot
331365.  Tue May 06, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote

Anyone else seen the story in the Daily Express that Labour may ask a certain Mr Fry to stand as a mayoral candidate in 2012.
A party official is quoted as saying "It is felt we will need a big personality to see off Boris in 2012 and Stephen can expect to be sounded out about the idea over the coming year."

Lumpo31
331366.  Tue May 06, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote

scoot wrote:
Anyone else seen the story in the Daily Express that Labour may ask a certain Mr Fry to stand as a mayoral candidate in 2012.
A party official is quoted as saying "It is felt we will need a big personality to see off Boris in 2012 and Stephen can expect to be sounded out about the idea over the coming year."
He'd be far too busy!

Neotenic
331370.  Tue May 06, 2008 7:16 am Reply with quote

the Fry story doesn't seem to have made it onto the web yet - but I'm not really in the business of believing anything printed in the Express unless it can be verified from at least two independent sources.

It sounds to me like a bit of a desperate straw clutch by spooked party officials. There's an awfully long way to go until 2012, after all.

But even so, I very much doubt I would vote for Stephen even if he did end up on the ballot. I think he would end up an awful lot like Brian Paddick did - woefully underprepared for high-level political debate, which is a world away from genial, erudite and witty banter.

I guess we're lucky that Boris manages to cope with both pretty well.

AndyMcH
331373.  Tue May 06, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote

....we shall see....

CB27
331400.  Tue May 06, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote

From a firend in City Hall:

"Don't know what he said to the managers, but we're getting a doom and gloom message down here, sort of 'don't get too cushy in your job' for everyone no matter what they do, how well they do it and how important it is"

Way to start your first day, threaten the very staff who are there to give you support.

Neotenic
331408.  Tue May 06, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote

Better than lulling them into a false sense of security, if you ask me.

I think it is fair to say that after eight years of rampant growth, there are probably areas of the City Hall adminstrative complex that need trimming back a little - that's certainly one of the reasons I voted for change.

And we have it on good authority that any dogs in the manger will be humanely euthanised, so while it may be uncomfortable for some, there will porobably be a net gain for the rest of us as a result.

Page 4 of 24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next