Boriswatch

Page 3 of 24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Sebastian flyte
331098.  Mon May 05, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote

cnb wrote:
Quote:
Excellent! Uni here I come!

Good. You'll still need to be invited to join the Bullingdon Club though... Is Boris as much a fan of you as you are of him?

Well I should bloody well hope not! What would people say..... actually he is aware that I exist and at this stage I think that is enough.

General_Woundwort
331107.  Mon May 05, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Would you like that? I think I prefer to find my solace in the fact that I should be bright enough when the time comes, that and my fabulous life and friends.

You may think your fire will always burn so brightly, but one day it will burn so pale, and you will be alone in Morocco or somewhere with no-one.

strawhat
331108.  Mon May 05, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote

now that seems not a very nice thing to say.

i'm not sure if it's ment to be taken in jest. but i would be quite up set if someone said that to me.

General_Woundwort
331110.  Mon May 05, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Poor, Sebastian! He's all at sea! (Now please can I walk out with your sister?)

Smoot
331122.  Mon May 05, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote

I'm not so much interested in what Boris has done as what he will do -- time for him to evidence the charm of doing something properly [sic].

General_Woundwort
331125.  Mon May 05, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote

Going to places like Greenwich or Barking and seeing how many of a population group which makes up 10% greet him with their watermelon smiles?

exnihilo
331126.  Mon May 05, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote

QiScorpion wrote:
and how about harry's campaign medal? "well done son, you gave those Iraqis a jolly good thrashing, good show, have a medal despite only having been there 10 weeks." some officers have been there for years and got nowt as far as i know.....

Just as an aside, campaign medals are not the same as meritorious awards, the campaign medal in question is open to any member of the armed forces or reserves serving in the designated region for a certain amount of time. More of a souvenir of having been there than a medal in the sense of VC or similar.

Neotenic
331127.  Mon May 05, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote

here is a handy cut-out-and-keep list of Boris' key policies - so we can see how he measures up to them.

I most certainly welcome the banning of alcohol on the tube. And I have to say that I've never seen a copy of this 'The Londoner' newspaper mentioned in it.

Smoot
331133.  Mon May 05, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote

As I said, I'm more interested in what he will do now. If one political figure can regenerate his public image from tacit approver of 'necklacing' and other acts of brutality to respected elder statesman, I see no reason to deny anyone else the opportunity to regenerate likewise.

Neotenic
331134.  Mon May 05, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
As I said, I'm more interested in what he will do now.

Me too - which was kind of my thinking when starting up this thread. I merely post the pledges as a reference point to see how he measure up against them in the coming months. As I voted for him, I'm especially keen on him following through on them.

Trouble is, I suppose, that he hasn't really had a chance to do anything yet, and it would appear that gibberish abhors a vacuum...

suze
331141.  Mon May 05, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote

cnb wrote:
He wanted to devote his time to the mayoral position, so he therefore had to be relieved of his MPs position through some other means. The only other means available is death, or an 'office of profit', so in order to remain alive to be mayor, he had to apply for the Stewardship of the Chiltern Hundreds.

In the interests of utter, utter pedantry, it's understood actually to be the post of Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead for which Boris will apply. This post and that of Steward and Bailiff of the Three Hundreds of Chiltern are by convention used alternately when an MP wishes to relinquish his seat. Chiltern Hundreds was used most recently - Tony Blair is the current Steward - while the current holder of Northstead is Peter Mandelson.

Sebastian flyte
331159.  Tue May 06, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote

strawhat wrote:
now that seems not a very nice thing to say.

i'm not sure if it's ment to be taken in jest. but i would be quite up set if someone said that to me.

Don't worry he is insulting the fictional character that I have used the name of, although it does grate on me slightly, because I feel that character and I do have some things in common, although less so than I did when I was younger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Flyte

He ( woundwort) is a bunny rabbit quite literally. :)

Sebastian flyte
331161.  Tue May 06, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote

(tangent) He doesn't get it anyway, Sebastian was never alone.

Anyway back to the proper debate now..

Neotenic
331171.  Tue May 06, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote

The first press release since the election has hit the Mayor's website.

Boris has appointed a chap called Ray Lewis, a charity worker, as Deputy Mayor for Young People.

digging around, I've found this Grauniad article about him from the beginning of the year.

Apparently he did think about going into politics himself, but decided against it for the most splendid of reasons;

Quote:
I couldn't buy into all the shit

He seems to me to be a mover/shaker type, who (hopefully) will bring some good ideas - and a desire to act on them - to the table.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
331284.  Tue May 06, 2008 5:48 am Reply with quote

soup wrote:
I will hijack this thread for one post then leave it alone . I care little about London's mayor. I do not live in London I do not even live in England so the mayor of London has virtually no interest for me. However I am not about to call for this thread to be deleted or anything like that, I shall just ignore this thread.

Why did you bother posting here in the first place?

Page 3 of 24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next