View previous topic | View next topic

East, Wicked Witch of the

Page 1 of 1

King of Quok
131304.  Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote

Hello! I've replied to a few other posts but as I'm new I thought I'd stick on home ground for my first, er, independent post, about the Wicked Witch of the East (ish), so apologies if it's just too trivial or banal... So, how many Wicked Witches are there in the land of Oz? Not two, as in the MGM movie, although Frank Baum's first book only really features the Wicked Witch of the West and the Wicked Witch of the East (squished by a house at the beginning). The Wizard mentions 'four of them in this country', though two of them are 'good'. In later novels (Baum wrote 14/15 Oz books, and more sequels appeared after his death) the Wicked Witch of the North is called Mombi (defeated by the Good Witch mentioned by the Wizard), and the Wicked Witch of the South is called Singra, though she had to wait for Rachel Cosgrove Payes' 'The Wicked Witch of Oz' long after Baum's death to get a name. And there are two good witches of Oz. not one as in the movie. Dorothy originally meets the (unnamed) Good Witch of the North (later named both Tattypoo and Locusta), before being sent home by the Good Witch of the South, Glinda. The Wicked Witch of the East was responsible for the Tin Man being tin. She cast a spell that caused him to chop off all his flesh parts, later replaced by tin prosthetics. She deserved to be squished.

grizzly
131334.  Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote

Sounds like a Cyberman

Lucwhostalking
131549.  Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote

Were there two good and two bad withches to keep a sense of ying-yang and balance to Oz? If so things were pretty unbalanced after the effects of The Wizard Of.

King of Quok
131607.  Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote

A whole bunch of other nasties come out of the woodwork once the Wicked Witches have been killed/had their magic powers removed/frozen in time, which amply balances out the actions of the ever-more Little-Nell-esque Dorothy and her pals.

Lucwhostalking
131614.  Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote

Difficult to believe one little girl (and her little dog too), can destroy a worlds mystical balance so easily

King of Quok
131621.  Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote

Technically, the Wizard had already done that long before Ms. Gale (and her little dog too) showed up.

calindreams
419444.  Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote

Seems like life wasn't that bad for the Munchkins when Dorothy got there.

Page 1 of 1