... we're on the lookout for flora and fauna
... there's a lot of flotsam and a little bit of jetsam
... we'll be fast and furious
... we'll be footloose and fancy-free
... we're neither fish nor fowl

Last edited by Flash on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Flash
312350.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote

These may suggest themes, but we shouldn't get hung up on them - ie it's more important to come up with an outline that makes us happy than one that fits the greeting.

Also, this year I'd like a better solution to getting over the opening applause than saying "good evening good evening good evening" if possible, so give that some thought.

Flash
312442.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:27 am Reply with quote

Just added the elusive 12th intro, thanks to FtM.

Frederick The Monk
312702.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Also, this year I'd like a better solution to getting over the opening applause than saying "good evening good evening good evening" if possible, so give that some thought.

I think that will be surprisingly tricky. If Stephen says anything important over the applause then no-one will hear it and the show will begin with an almighty 'pardon?' The 'good evening, good evening....' allows the applause to die down, shows that Stephen is about to say something important as soon as it has but doesn't require the audience to 'shut up' in a way that would sound unnatural. I do know of other solutions but they are effectively the same thing - some say "thank you, thank you.....", some say "hello, hello...." but I don't think there's anything better than Stephen's very polite 'good evening'.

Flash
312945.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote

Well I've been watching out for this on other shows, and none of them seems to have a problem with it.

Frederick The Monk
313810.  Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote

Well there's no reason why we can't give it a go - personally I think it's a bit of a Stephen trademark.

MatC
319253.  Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:

“Interesting, interesting, interesting .... QUITE interesting, indeed!”

Bunter
327570.  Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote

Quote:

I agree that this has become something of a trademark, so I think it would be nice to riff on it in an interesting fashion and develop a theme that runs throughout the series.

So I'd basically say 'good evening' in many different languages from around the world, which I think might even get you some early laughs with the most obscure ones.

SHOW ONE: Good evening, good evening, good evening.
SHOW TWO: Bonsoir, Guten Abend, Buona sera
SHOW THREE:Gott kvųld, Hyvää iltaa, Goejūn (Faroese/Finnish/West Frisian)
SHOW FOUR: Goeienaand, Mirėmbrėma, Güete Obe (Afrikaans/ Albanian/Alsation)
SHOW FIVE: Guid forenicht, Fonaneng, Habari ya jioni (Scots, Sesotho, Swahili)
SHOW SIX: Selamat malam, Bonswa, Kia ora (Malay/Maltese/Maori)

and so on and so forth.

Panellists could get a "Fluency" bonus point for being able to identify the languages used correctly.

Page 1 of 1