View previous topic | View next topic

Fan Fiction...

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pooglet
680665.  Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote

I'm aware that this thread hasn't been active for quite a long while; however, being that this is a QI-based forum, and given the subject matter of this particular discussion...
Well, you really ought to see this: http://community.livejournal.com/alan_stephen/

Admittedly, there isn't much. But what is there seems to be pretty good, actually. Most RPF (real person fiction) I've read generally tends to be better written than all the fanfic based on orginally fictional characters. Perhaps this is due to a smaller and generally more intelligent fanbase? Any thoughts?

I'd say I'm guilty of both slash and RPF, but I don't find anything particularly incriminating about it. I know some people are against RPF because they believe it infringes the rights and/or privacy of the people being written about. I don't think so, and I could argue against the point, but this comment is already rather long, so I'll spare you all!

RLDavies
681749.  Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote

That's a godawful lump of writing in the original posting, but I don't recognise it as fanfiction. What's it based on?

For lovers of just plain godawful lumps of writing, it takes a lot to beat the fantasy tale "The Eye of Argon" by Jim Thiels. The whole glorious mess can be found HERE. Here's the opening, as a taster for the uninitiated:

Quote:
The weather beaten trail wound ahead into the dust racked climes of the baren land which dominates large portions of the Norgolian empire. Age worn hoof prints smothered by the sifting sands of time shone dully against the dust splattered crust of earth. The tireless sun cast its parching rays of incandescense from overhead, half way through its daily revolution. Small rodents scampered about, occupying themselves in the daily accomplishments of their dismal lives. Dust sprayed over three heaving mounts in blinding clouds, while they bore the burdonsome cargoes of their struggling overseers.

"Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier.

"Only after you have kissed the fleeting stead of death, wretch!" returned Grignr.

A sweeping blade of flashing steel riveted from the massive barbarians hide enameled shield as his rippling right arm thrust forth, sending a steel shod blade to the hilt into the soldiers vital organs. The disemboweled mercenary crumpled from his saddle and sank to the clouded sward, sprinkling the parched dust with crimson droplets of escaping life fluid.

Reading the story aloud is apparently a popular game at SF/fantasy conventions. You have to read the entire story as written (including all spelling and punctuation mistakes) with a perfectly straight face. "Grandmaster level" is doing this after inhaling helium.

denialmark
687266.  Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote

Fanfiction is most often associated with Star Trek, and indeed, it was at early Star Trek gatherings that fanfiction began to be shared with other fans. Originally it took the form of poorly mimeographed, hand-stapled fanzines but now fanfiction comes in slick illustrated products produced by modern desktop publishing tools.

The Internet brought new growth to fanfiction, with fans discovering each other worldwide, forming groups, mailing lists and newsgroups for the sharing of fan-written fiction and fan-painted art. Virtually every television series of interest to a young audience has a fanfic community associated with it. Books that gain cult followings, such as the Harry Potter series, are also known for their fanfic following of amateur authors.

suze
709077.  Thu May 13, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Oh dear. Tonight has been a first for me, but perhaps not a last.

I have encountered slash fiction in which the participants are David Cameron and Nick Clegg.

MinervaMoon
709082.  Thu May 13, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote

I've seen it too. :D

zomgmouse
709149.  Thu May 13, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Fanfiction is most often associated with Star Trek

Interestingly, slash-fiction started there as well, the "slash" coming from Kirk/Spock sex fantasies.

bobwilson
709152.  Thu May 13, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Menecairiel wrote:
But then again, I firmly believe Holmes was written as a homosexual, and that Doyle knew exactly what he was doing.

That's a fair theory as it goes, and I can certainly see where you're coming from. We are told several times that Holmes disliked women - in contrast to Watson who was at least twice married, and seems to have put it about a bit before his first marriage.

But what about Irene Adler? Did not Holmes have an illicit relationship with her in either Montenegro or New York, the result of which was Nero Wolfe?

Hang on - Holmes disliked women (in contrast to Watson). So Watson didn't dislike women. That's presumably why he married them twice (and presumably divorced them twice). I can't think of many expressions of hatred of a woman more definite than to divorce her. I know suze had a Catholic upbringing but trust me - getting married is not always an expression of love; getting divorced is ALWAYS an expression of hatred.

As for "putting it about a bit" - well, that is even less of an expression of love of women than marrying them. So - the evidence mounts.

We know that Watson hated at least two women enough to divorce them. We also know that Watson first married these women - although whether he loved them or just did so for convenience is open to question. We also know that Watson "put it about a bit" - in other words, used women for his own gratification without any intention to commit to the possible consequences.

I'd describe that as the very definition of a misogynist.

And after all that he shacks up with a dilettante.

Holmes may or may not have been a homosexual - Watson most certainly was.

samivel
709163.  Fri May 14, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
getting divorced is ALWAYS an expression of hatred.

No it isn't.

Droid
709164.  Fri May 14, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:

We know that Watson hated at least two women enough to divorce them.

I'm fairly sure that one of them died whilst married to Watson, rather than being divorced. It is mentioned in one of the stories, but I can't rememeber which one.

suze
709341.  Fri May 14, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote

That was Mary Morstan. We first meet her in The Sign of Four, at the end of which she and Watson become engaged. By A Scandal in Bohemia they are married, and she appears in passing a couple of times thereafter before we learn in The Adventure of the Empty House that Watson has been bereaved.

For sure, the usual understanding is that she had died, but we are never actually told that. Some suggest that Mary had left Watson for another man; at the time of which we are speaking divorce was practically unthinkable, but estrangement and abandonment certainly were not.

Watson then loses little time in moving back in with Holmes. But the son which The Man with the Twisted Lip suggests the couple had is never mentioned again. Does this perhaps suggest that the couple were estranged and the son was living with his mother? If Mary had died, the son would surely have been living either with Watson or with female relatives of his whom he would visit from time to time.

We are never told in so many words of any previous or subsequent marriage of Watson's, but there are hints at both. Baring-Gould certainly believed there to have been a wife before Mary, and his work on Sherlock Holmes is considered practically canonical. (An American wife of Watson's called Constance does appear in a unpublished manuscript of Conan Doyle's, but this is not generally considered canonical.)

Droid
710027.  Mon May 17, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote

So bereavement may be a Victorian euphemism for "left me for another man"? It's always possible I suppose. My reading was just a simple one. Of course if you're going that way with it all, she may be dead, but who signed the death certificate? Watson? Holmes did not automatically pursue murderers. I'm fairly sure there are a couple of instances where he let murderers "get away with it", usually because of extenuating circumstances.

Reading the Holmes stories, sometimes what is meant can escape me. It was quite a while before I understood the horror of a vitriol throwing, which is meantioned in The Blue Carbuncle I think. The Jeremy Brett Holmes TV adaptations jogged my memory of this. Throwing fuming sulphuric acid into someone's face!

suze
710294.  Mon May 17, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote

I've not come across "bereavement" being used to refer to anything other than death elsewhere. But I can imagine that a man of Watson's station in life would have been reluctant to say straight out that his wife had dumped him, so the euphemism is at least possible.

And yes, Holmes did sometimes keep the identity of a murderer to himself. In The Adventure of the Devil's Foot for instance, the murderer is an international adventurer. Believing that he was more or less justified in committing the murder, Holmes tells him to go back to Africa and continue adventuring.

As for vitriol throwing, it's rather fallen out of fashion as a method of assault in the Western world, although a woman named Katie Piper was attacked in this manner in London only two years ago.

Sadly, it's become all too common in some parts of Asia in the last twenty years or so. The Taliban has been claimed to have used the method against girls who went to school, a thing of which it does not approve. Iran sentenced a man convicted of vitriol throwing to be himself blinded by the same means a couple of years ago, but so far as is known the sentence has not been carried out.

bobwilson
710322.  Mon May 17, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I've not come across "bereavement" being used to refer to anything other than death elsewhere.

I've got a vague recollection of "bereaved" being used to mean "abandoned" in the marital sense in some novel or other - but I can't remember where.

bemahan
710325.  Mon May 17, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Strictly speaking, doesn't bereavement just mean loss of something of value? 'Bereft' is often used in that sense rather than just associated with death.

bmcgregor
792709.  Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote

In regards to slash, I once wrote a thesis on it at Uni. I find it fascinating- and yes, do write some, myself. There are a myriad of reasons why mainly heterosexual women write it, ranging from the fact that male characters are often better written than female characters (as they are mainly written by men), to women wanting to explore relationships between men, to the fact that it's just damned hot to see two attractive men getting it on.
RPS... not to my taste but I have nothing against people who write it.
In terms of Sherlock Holmes, in terms of the novels and short stories, I see him as completely asexual. He doesn't seem to have any interest in women... or men, for that matter. Watson does come across as heterosexual.
As for QI I admit I do enjoy the occassional subtle or even not so subtle homo-eroticism. Just the other day I watched an episode (admittedly in series E) where Alan came last and Steven said "So we know who'll be adopting the position and awaiting my pleasure in the study". Ha ha I admit I was not the least bit averse to the visual image. ;)

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next