View previous topic | View next topic

Fan Fiction...

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AlmondFacialBar
313156.  Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:08 am Reply with quote

King of Quok wrote:
Is there not a very specific type of fan fiction called, I think slash fiction, which puts well-known male characters from TV shows, films or books into homoerotic situations? I think it's called 'slash' from the backslash used to separate the names so that you'd have, say a Luke Skywalker/Han Solo story. I' think I've heard of it, but I'm scared to look it up in case of what I might turn up!

that also happens with books quite a bit. there are reams and reams of james potter/ sirius black stories out there. misguided if you ask me, i don't think they ever did it...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
313159.  Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:13 am Reply with quote

And then there's "Quick, Man, if you love me" from The Adventure of the Dying Detective - Holmes telling Watson to hide behind the bed in which Holmes is lying pretending to be close to death.

Not to mention the time that Holmes caused Watson to ejaculate. Twas in the The Red-headed League.

There seems to be a fair bit of Holmes/Watson slash fiction around, in fact. Perhaps more surprising is the existence of Morse/Lewis slash fiction - although Lewis/Hathaway slash fiction would be altogether more plausible ...

The Doctor / The Master has certainly been done, and every combination of Giles/Angel/Spike/Xander. Is there any Reg Hollis / Tony Stamp stuff out there ...?

Sobriquet
313376.  Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote

Ha ha, very funny. But you just have to admire the sketchiness of victorianism as the reader enters the scene in The Illustrius Client and Sherlock and Watson are lying under sheets together having a smoke after a sauna... though presumably not the same sheet, even though this sure seems to depict it that way ;)

I must admit the simultaneously most disturbing and most tempting slash I've ever heard of has got to be Jeeves/Wooster... tee hee

ColinM
313435.  Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Having read a small amount of fan fiction two things puzzle me. Firstly, why is almost all of it so very bad, and secondly why is a tiny sliver of a percent of it genuinely good.

The first is a puzzle because it bemuses me that people would publish the drivel that makes up the bulk of fan fiction, even under an alias. I mean yeah, you want to re-write Harry Potter so Harry is eaten by rats within the first twenty pages and Ron and Malfoy spend the next seven years having steamily forbidden magical sex? Sure. I mean, who doesn't? Scribble down a little something for your friends to giggle at. But wouldn't it be easier if you learned to construct a sentence first?

The second is even more baffling. Genuinely competent writers penning epic tales with actual merit, but populating them with the cast of Scooby Doo. Fortunately these over-qualified fan fiction authors are very rare, but it's still scary to think that they exist.

Lumpo31
313438.  Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Is there any Reg Hollis / Tony Stamp stuff out there ...?
Ewww! I've read plenty of Jim and June stuff in the past. Almost equally eww...

Sadurian Mike
314573.  Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote

Nobody mention Wingfic yet? Good. I'll not mention it either.

Khalaris
320352.  Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote

I read fanfiction.

And I've written fanfiction, but nothing even remotely graphic, just a few very short stories.

*wait for tomatoes and rotten eggs to come flying at me*

It's true, there's buckets of crap out there and finding good fanfiction isn't exactly easy. The best I've ever read is Mary Jean Holmes's Back To The Future saga. The quality of those stories (HA! Epics!) is way better than that of most novels I've read. And did I mention they're epics?

I've stopped reading fanfiction though. I just don't have the nerves anymore for all that out-of-character stuff.

Fontanelle
320415.  Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Slash is my happy place. When you find a capable author (and there are genuine virtuosos out there, amidst of all the detritus), it's endless hours of interest and delight (:

Not to mention the social and feminist aspects, but I'm too groggy to get into that now. I better read a fic (:

cupati
320971.  Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote

As a fanfic writer...

... I really ought to stop right here. However, I've never shut up at the right time before.

From the competent fanfic I've read, it often feels like people want to write a story without the bother of character development. It's also, for science fiction / fantasy, a way of using the rules of a world someone else has built.

Any Doctor Who episode written by Russell T Davis should be considered fanfic.

(For examples to illustrate what I'm coming from, click http://cupati.livejournal.com/tag/fanfic. There are a couple of not-entirely-suitable-for-all stories linked from there, but all have a decent explaination before the link. Most of them are shorter than this comment.)

Khalaris
321047.  Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:22 am Reply with quote

cupati wrote:
Any Doctor Who episode written by Russell T Davis should be considered fanfic.

I second that ;)

dr.bob
321113.  Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote

Presumably the same logic would hold for any episode written by Steven Moffat or Mark Gatiss too.

Khalaris
321237.  Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote

I can't say anything about Mark Gatiss as I'm not sure which episode(s) he wrote. I just think that pairing the Doctor off with a companion like RTD has done was a very fanfic thing to do. That's all. I don't think RTD's episodes are bad or anything. They're not as good as Steven Moffat's, but still enjoyable. And I've watched several of them more than twice ;)

It's just a matter of personal opinion. There are of course lots of people who like the Doctor/Rose story and vast amounts of fanfiction on that. Sometimes with Jack in some kind of love triangle *laughs*

crissdee
331490.  Tue May 06, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote

Sobriquet, the opening of "The Illustrious Client" quite clearly states;

"On the upper floor of the Northumberland Avenue establishment there is an isolated corner where two couches lie side by side, and it was on these that we lay upon September 3, 1902, the day when my narrative begins."

So they aren't sharing a couch no matter what the illustration looks like. I have also been guilty of a little fan fiction, when I wrote up "The Case of the Paradol Chamber" I only tried it because of reading an absolutley dreadful attempt at "The Conk-Singleton Forgery" and thinking I could do better. According to one or two other sherlockian friends of mine who read the piece, I can!

Also, Lumpo mentions Jim/June stories, wasn't that actually in the series? I seem to remember them getting together/hitched. (Haven't watched it for years, my mum used to have it on while I was in the room.)

Sobriquet
333028.  Thu May 08, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Sobriquet, the opening of "The Illustrious Client" quite clearly states;

"On the upper floor of the Northumberland Avenue establishment there is an isolated corner where two couches lie side by side, and it was on these that we lay upon September 3, 1902, the day when my narrative begins."

Yes, but a girl should be allowed to make herself giggle once in a while, even if the hilarious scenario in question is an awful, slanderous ruining of the noble reputation of some of our finest literary characters. Still, tee hee <3

suze
333167.  Fri May 09, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Also, Lumpo mentions Jim/June stories, wasn't that actually in the series? I seem to remember them getting together/hitched. (Haven't watched it for years, my mum used to have it on while I was in the room.)

They did eventually get married, yes. It was short lived though, after Jim used the deeds to their house as security for a loan to pay off gambling debts.

Meanwhile, I discover that there is indeed some Bill slashfic around. No Reg / Tony so far as I can tell, but the fan fiction section of http://www.sierra-oscar.co.uk has a number of Sam Nixon / Jo Masters stories (the character of Masters is a gay woman, so that's not too unrealistic), and a rather more improbable Smiffy / Manson story.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next