View previous topic | View next topic

ANDORRA

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

AlmondFacialBar
1246634.  Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote

I know that. 😉 It's called hyperboling. Anyway, I was thinking drag queen, which is certainly more prevalent among gay men than straight ones...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

'yorz
1246636.  Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote

That may be, but why dragging drag queens into the discussion?

AlmondFacialBar
1246638.  Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:23 am Reply with quote

I didn't really have that intention. All I meant to say there was that what HRH Sihanouk said there was by no means coded.

And, btw, his majesty sounds like an all round splendid kind of guy.

AlmondFacialBar

'yorz
1246645.  Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote

Sorry - I'm perhaps a tad touchy on the subject, with my late brother struggling with his gayness and no way would he contemplate going out in drag - he was 'just' gay and that was already problematic enough for him.

AlmondFacialBar
1246654.  Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote

*HUG*

I didn't know that. :-( I see why you're touchy about it then, sorry. No offense intended, promise.

I hope your bother nevertheless found some proper love and happiness in his life.

AlmondFacialBar

'yorz
1246655.  Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote

Not the way he desperately wanted.

AlmondFacialBar
1246657.  Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote

Shit... :-( Poor guy. He deserved better than what he got for sure.

'yorz
1246668.  Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote

Amen to that. :-/

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1246748.  Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote

[quote="suze"]That is true, although in practice it's always the Emir of Abu Dhabi.

Another case worthy of a mention in passing is Cambodia. It's a monarchy, but there is no concept of heir to the throne. Cambodia is largely controlled by two families, the House of Norodom and the House of Sisowath. When the king dies the two families have a conference, and a new king is chosen by acclamation - or at least, that it how it is presented for public consumption.

There have been several marriages between the two dynasties and so it's fairly likely that whoever is chosen will have a connexion to both families. The last five kings have had Norodom fathers, but the next may not. The current king Norodom Sihamoni is 64 and has never married and - in an extremely coded way - his father once told a journalist that Sihamoni was gay. (Which is more socially acceptable in Cambodia than in most of Asia. Same sex activity is legal and persecution of gay people is all but unknown.)

Another similar example is Swaziland. They have no real concept of primogeniture. An independent traditional council called the Liqoqo decides which of the rulers wives shall be Great Wife and the son of this 'Great Wife' becomes the heir. The Great Wife is chosen after the death of the king and must be of good character and must not be either of the king's first two wives. In order to cement relationships with the competing interests in Swaziland a king must marry from all the competing clans in Swaziland, hence polygamy is encouraged.

In fact certain Islamic states such as Ottoman Turkey or Saudi Arabia today had/have no concept of primogeniture. Their heir is chosen from the brothers of the previous king to ensure no rebellion or direct challenge to the throne from the king's sons.

suze
1246822.  Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:17 am Reply with quote

While we're on Swaziland, all of their royals are illegitimate by the Western understanding, since the King can't marry anyone until he has impregnated her.

The first two wives are ineligible to become the Indovukazi or "Great She-Elephant" because the King doesn't choose his first two concubines. Rather, they are presented to him when he comes of age. Thereafter, he chooses concubines from a parade of women who parade bare-breasted before him.

crissdee
1246828.  Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Thereafter, he chooses concubines from a parade of women who parade bare-breasted before him.

To which Channel4 bought the TV rights, and called it "Naked Dating"!!

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1248436.  Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote

Sticking with the subject of Andorra here's something quite interesting I found out about it.

When lyricist Malvina Reynolds discovered, via the New York Times, that Andorra's military budget was just 300 pesetas ($4.90) and used entirely for blank ammunition for ceremonial purposes she was inspired to write a song, part of which goes:

I want to go to Andorra, Andorra, Andorra
I want to go to Andorra. It's a place that I adore
It's the land that I adore
They spend four dollars and ninety cents
On armaments and their defence
Did you ever see such confidence?
Andorra hip hooray

Pete Seeger was so impressed that he not only scored and performed it but also dedicated the two final stanzas to Robert McNamara, urging him to follow in Andorra's footsteps.

https://goo.gl/E59oMG

Jenny
1248682.  Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote

I love that!

crissdee
1248704.  Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote

I remember reading somewhere, that the supposedly tiny defence budget of Andorra was a misquotation, and the figure was actually per head of population. Still tiny, but running into hundreds of thousands, about $400,000 according to Wiki's population figures.

Jenny
1248799.  Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote

Discussion on Snopes about it seems to think it's true.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2