View previous topic | View next topic

Fuck

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Gray
213359.  Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote

Obviously.

Apart from casting significant doubt on the existence of 'John le Fucker', Wikipedia has some interesting stuff about etymology:

Quote:
An Anglo-Saxon charter [1] [2] granted by Offa, king of Mercia, dated A.D.772, granting land at Bexhill, Sussex to a bishop, includes the text:

Þonne syndon þa gauolland þas utlandes into Bexlea in hiis locis qui appellantur hiis nominibus: on Berna hornan .iii. hida, on Wyrtlesham .i., on Ibbanhyrste .i., on Croghyrste .viii., on Hrigce .i., on Gyllingan .ii., on Fuccerham 7 and on Blacanbrocan .i., on Ikelesham .iii.;
Then the tax-lands of the outland belonging to Bexley are in these places which are called by these names: at Barnhorne 3 hides, at Wyrtlesham [Worsham farm near Bexhill ] 1, at Ibbanhyrst 1, at Crowhurst 8, at (Rye? The ridge north of Hastings?) 1, at Gillingham 2, at Fuccerham and at Blackbrook [may be Black Brooks in Westfield village just north of Hastings ] 1, at Icklesham 3.

The placename Fuccerham looks like either "the home (hām) of the fucker" or "the enclosed pasture (hamm) of the fucker", who may have been a once-notorious man, or a locally well-known stud male animal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuck

The first use in written English is from Flen flyys:

Quote:
Flen flyys is a poem, written in about 1475, that is chiefly famous for containing the first known written usage in English of the vulgar verb "fuck". In fact the usage was "fuccant", a hybrid of an English root with a Latin conjugation, and was disguised in the text by a simple code, in which each letter was replaced with the next letter in the alphabet (so that fuccant is written as gxddbov).

the fact that it was written in code seems to suggest it was already well known as being a bit naughty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flen_flyys

Jenny
213827.  Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote

You might also like to look waaaaay back at post 6317 when the word previously arose.

Jenny
213830.  Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote

Also see post 6222 and post 6314.

Gray
214188.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote

Now that's what I call a healthy preoccupation.

Jenny
214221.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote

;-)

Jenny
214226.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote

Oh, and according to post 213225 we could combine an F connection with both Fuck and a dig at Alan - the German for brothel is apparently Freudenhaus, not Jumphaus. (Though 'a jump' used to be another word for a fuck in t'north when I were a lass, although I was of course far too delicately reared to use it.)

MatC
232946.  Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:07 am Reply with quote

"reared"?

Would you care to rephrase that, Jenny?

Jenny
233185.  Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote

'Twas used in a purely innocent sense Mat. And 'raised' could be just as filthy in the right hands. Oo-er missus.

Jenny
246378.  Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote

A QI piece from today's Guardian:

Quote:
Adopting someone else's vernacular may be seen as vulgar. An online article about the hunt for Radovan Karadzic described how the young Karadzic was brought up in the village of Petnjica and took an interest in poetry. "But it was not poetry that took the diligent young Karadzic from the Vukojebina to Sarajevo," the writer said. "'Vukojebina' is a very, very rude word in the Serbian/Croatian language and, as such, highly inappropriate for use in any formal context," a reader advised. "The literal translation of this word would be something to the effect of 'a place where wolves f***'." It wasn't necessary to use the vernacular of the original language, she said; the "back of beyond" would have done just fine.

Flash
260368.  Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote

Inspired by the Frogs thread - it might be nice for Stephen to announce a standing forfeit: as this is the F Series, anyone who uses a cuss-word beginning with F loses 10 points. It'd be something to play with, and might help at the edit as we do still have to bleep the word "fuck". That's good and bad: mostly it's bad, but sometimes the bleep is funny in itself (eg when you're discussing the word itself: "is it all right to say ****"? No? Oh, ****."

Flash
260377.  Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote

STEPHEN:
As usual in the F Series, anyone who says **** loses 10 points. And so to our first question tonight: what's the etymology of the word ****?

A GUEST:
How the **** are we supposed to discuss the word **** without saying ****?

KLAXONS

STEPHEN:
That's 30 points off for starters.

A GUEST:
**** off!

KLAXON

STEPHEN:
Stop ****ing swearing, you %%%%.

Flash
260386.  Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote

At the risk of overdoing it, you could even have a running gag where the first question always has the potential to be answered with the word "fuck":

STEPHEN:
As usual, 10 points off for anyone who says ****. Now: what do frogs do in ponds?

As usual, 10 points off for anyone who says ****. First question: what did the Marquis of Anglesey say when his leg was shot off?

etc etc

Frederick The Monk
282426.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
. First question: what did the Marquis of Anglesey say when his leg was shot off?

He was only Lord Uxbridge when his leg was shot off. He was made
Marquis of Anglesey five days later. So I suppose his right leg was never part of the Marquis of Anglesey....

MatC
284552.  Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote

Just for the record, what Kenneth Tynan actually said when he became the first person to use the word Fuck on British TV, on a show called BBC-3 on 13 November 1965, was:

Quote:
“Oh, I think so. I doubt if there are very many rational people in this world to whom the word ‘fuck’ is particularly diabolical or revolting or totally forbidden.”

(S: “Life on air a history of Radio Four” by David Hendy, OUP 2007).

This was in answer to a question over whether he would allow the National Theatre to stage a play containing sexual intercourse.

A Daily Express columnist declared this “the bloodiest outrage” he had ever known. (I wonder if he in turn was told off for saying bloody? If so, he could have replied “Bloody in the Bible, Bloody in the Book - if you don’t believe me, take a bloody look.”)

MatC
285909.  Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
“In one of the best essays on the term [fuck], penned in 1934 by the American philologist Allen Walker Read, the fifteen-page article never uses the actual word once.”

Instead, Allen referred to it by the euphemism “obscenity symbol.”

Jonathon Green, the popular lexicographer, says that fuck was one of the last “dirty words” to appear in the written record. Abbot Aelfric, translating Latin to Anglo-Saxon in c.1000 AD, uses “ars” and “beallucas,” but no fucke. “Cunt” is early 13th century; “shit” early 14th; “piss” late 14th.

The first citation (according to this piece; contradicted in postings above, I think) is 1503 in a poem by the Scot, William Dunbar: “Be his feiris he wald haue fukkit.”

Next is 1535, Sir David Lyndesay of the Mount, writing a satire, says of bishops that they “may fuck thair fill and be vnmaryit.” The following year, this same Sir David wrote a poem in which he said James V of Scotland was “fukking lyke ane furious Fornicatour.” A 1650 citation spells it “ffuck,” which seems much posher.

It seems to have become taboo from the late seventeenth century (though Robert Burns used it.)

It first appeared in a dictionary in 1598 - an Italian-English dictionary, which translates “Fottere” as “To iape, to sard, to fucke, to swive, to occupy.” The OED wouldn't touch it until 1972.

In the US - apparently - it is number one on the “list of federally cited ‘filthy words’ that are unavailable to broadcasters.”

S: The Erotic Review, February 1999.

My favourite bit of fuck prudery is the fact that the Windows spellchecker recognises the word, but won’t offer it as an alternative to unrecognised words! So if you type in fucke, it offers you ‘fickle,’ and a few other fantastically unlikely alternatives, but no ‘fuck,’ even though the programme knows perfectly well which word you are groping for.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next