View previous topic | View next topic

Sign-offs

Page 1 of 1

Flash
308200.  Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote

The Future show:

Quote:
Last year, 75 year old Sigbritt Löthberg hit the headlines when her IT expert son provided her with the world's fastest broadband connection of 40 Gigabytes per second.

These days, she mostly uses the equipment, which gets pretty warm, to dry her laundry.

"We're considering giving her a 100 gigabits per second connection in the summer," added Jonsson. "Then she'll be able to dry all her neighbours' laundry too."

post 308175 (eggshaped)

Last edited by Flash on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total

eggshaped
309783.  Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote

In a similar vein, IMB have just announced a new "green" data centre, whose servers are used to warm up a local swimming pool.

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/23797.wss

Flash
312187.  Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote

For a show featuring feathers:

Sam Goldwyn on Shakespeare:

Quote:
Fantastic! And all written with a feather.

eggshaped
313809.  Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote

Falling:

A Bosnian man has had his house hit five times by meteorites in less than 6 months. Experts at Belgrade University are checking local magnetic fields to see if there is any anomoly, but the man has a different theory:

Quote:
"I am obviously being targeted by extraterrestrials. I don't know what I have done to annoy them but there is no other explanation that makes sense. The chance of being hit by a meteorite is so small that getting hit five times has to be deliberate."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2803149.html?menu=

eggshaped
313825.  Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote

Fetishes (re-posted)

In January, Ronnie Campbell, MP for Blyth Valley, Northumberland, accidentally gave his support to National Fetish Day.

He promised to wear purple to support a day of awareness, but withdrew his backing after the Sunday Sun explained what "fetish" meant

Quote:
Mr Campbell revealed he thought “fetish” was just another word for “worry” instead of a description of people who get their kicks in unusual ways.

When we told him, Mr Campbell said: “Oh my God almighty, my God, is that what a fetish is? “I thought a fetish was a worry, like worrying about backing the right horse.”

eggshaped
313830.  Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote

Four (reposted post of Mat's)

Marchers taking part in a protest in favour of keeping Radio Four on Long Wave in 1993 used the following chant:

Quote:
What do we want?
Radio 4!
Where do we want it?
Long Wave!
And what do we say?
Please!

Flash
324394.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote

I'm looking for a wrap-up for the Fight or Flight script and thought this might work:
Quote:
“The scientific name for an animal that doesn’t either run from or fight its enemies is ‘lunch’”.

Michael Friedman

but I can't find out anything about Michael Friedman other than that he said that. Anyone know who he is?

eggshaped
324406.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:45 am Reply with quote

I wonder if it's the same person as American mystery novelist Mickey Friedman

Flash
324455.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:28 am Reply with quote

There are a few of them out there, but I can't tell which it is. All the sources credit him as though you'd be sure to know without being told.

MatC
324826.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote

I asked Nigel Rees, who replied "I'd guess it was the Michael Friedman who is listed on amazon.com as the author of several tomes on philosophy," and links it to Isaiah Berlin:‘Nature is the place where the birds fly around uncooked.’

Flash
324896.  Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote

That's good enough for me. The Reesmeister has pronounced.

Menocchio
325213.  Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:13 am Reply with quote

Odd coincidence. Michael Friedman is the Frederick P. Rehmus Family Professor of Humanities at Stanford. He's a Brit with a strong logical positivist leaning, which is how I came across him. He's the chief defender of the work of the amusingly named but rarely discussed hardline logical positivist philosopher Rudolf Carnap (1891 - 1970), who I was looking at last week in connection with the Book of the Dead. The category was Esperanto Speakers, a small but interesting bunch, and Carnap was one of the most famous and articulate (allegedly - I have no Esperanto). He also became famous for calling for metaphysics to be excluded from philosophy (buy that man a beer). Anyway, Friedman is the author of the one-stop shop volume The Cambridge Companion to Carnap (2007). A real page-turner, apparently.

The only other contender for your quote, I would think, is Michael Jan Friedman, the hack noveliser of Star trek, Aliens and a host of DC Comics, whose biog on the Simon & Schuster website has a nice line in self-deprecation (and which may furthrt illuminate your problem Flash):

Quote:
He continues to advise readers that no matter how many Friedmans they know, the vast probability is that none of them are related to him.

Mat - hello, by the way - if you are a chum of the Reesmeister, do give him my regards. He may remember me from the old Cassell days when I was his briefly publisher and - I think I'm right in saying - the first man in three decades of blameless quotemastering to throw him a publication party, for The Cassell Book of Humorous Quotations. How the Groucho rocked that night...

MatC
325549.  Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote

Message transmitted reeswards, Menocchio.

You know, he'd make a pretty good panellist ...

Page 1 of 1