View previous topic | View next topic

QI Music

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

QI Individual
68113.  Mon May 01, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
as Googling brings up a lot of attempts to sell me recordings :)

It depends on the specificity of the search command whether you get a lot of junk information or not.

Try this one (915 hits).

Notice the difference of such a simple modification when compared to
this one (166,000 hits).

Zaphod Beeblebrox
68215.  Tue May 02, 2006 11:33 am Reply with quote

Cheers guys - i did the presentation a while ago, and it was just a short one so i managed to find more than enough info. I still find all this stuff interesting though, so thanks!

maiden
265755.  Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:38 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Since we're going to be selling music CDs as well as DVDs and books in the QI bookshop, here's your chance to talk about music that you enjoy, that you think other people might like. It doesn't have to be highbrow or abstruse.

This is quite a difficult one Jenny. There are some many different types of musical genre out there, plus everyone has their own personal favourites and their own take on what is good or bad.

I listen to quite a wide range of musical genres, but personally rank Heavy Metal/Rock (and all its sub-genres; Speed, Thrash, Death, Black, AOR, NWOBHM, etc) as one of the best musical styles or genres around. Classical music (not opera) is also enjoyable when having to concentrate on paperwork or when studying. General pop from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's is also agreeable.
The main music types which I can't stomach is the kind you find on most nightclub dancefloors or at Ibiza-type holiday resorts - the repetitive thump, thump, thump of a continual bass line and a repetitive lyric throughout the (so-called) song - Rap music can also have that kind of effect at times too - rather annoying

And in reference to other posts: Cinderalla, Ratt, Rush, Led Zeppelin - all great bands.

Maybe an online QI shop for selling CD's (or DVD's) could be arranged in the future - it could sell a wider range of music (or film / programmes), preferably with better prices than some of the online 'shops', for those of us who live nowhere near the QI shop, plus there would be no reason for argument then :)

Jenny
265892.  Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote

Thanks Maiden - however, I think the QI bookshop doesn't exist any more, so it's a bit of a moot point now!

maiden
266045.  Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Thanks Maiden - however, I think the QI bookshop doesn't exist any more, so it's a bit of a moot point now!

Oh no, Boo, Hiss ...

that's no use!!!
I could have given everyone a big list of classic 'Metal/Rock' tracks to at least sample ... plus explain the meaning, era, etc, of them, as a fab introduction to Metal

Damn, Damn, Bugger, Bugger, Bollocky Bums (My best sweary words)

Sebastian flyte
361910.  Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote

Well this is a beautiful song,'Never any good' you can listen to it in the video link. I'd never heard of this guy before today, please listen. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prodigal-Son-Martin-Simpson/dp/B000SNSUKG

Colle
442964.  Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote

The radio will never play my favourite songs, as I listen to Japanese rock music, which for real rock fans is too pop and for pop fans too rock (there are also so many different types of J-rock).
I also enjoy German medival-rock, such as Saltatio Mortis or Subway to Sally.
Now, I don't wish to press my peculiar interests concerning music on other people, but I'm secretly wishing somebody might ask for a list to sample XD~

However, I would appreciate the your samples as an introduction to metal, maiden. Maybe I might actually be able to talk to my friends about music one day and not constantly grate at their tolerance with my "OMKami, ABC's Jigsaw PV!!".

Bondee
444171.  Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote

Colle wrote:
The radio will never play my favourite songs, as I listen to Japanese rock music, which for real rock fans is too pop and for pop fans too rock (there are also so many different types of J-rock).

Hello Colle. Would you class one of my favourites, Boris, as J-rock? Their earlier material was stupidly heavy drone/sludge/doom metal, but their last couple of albums (Pink and Smile) have definitely had a more "poppy" edge to them.

Colle
445056.  Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Hello Colle. Would you class one of my favourites, Boris, as J-rock? Their earlier material was stupidly heavy drone/sludge/doom metal, but their last couple of albums (Pink and Smile) have definitely had a more "poppy" edge to them.

I had to look them up on youtube, but I'd class them as J-rock. ^^x* From my experience, if it's a Japanese band that plays it's own guitar, drums, and bass (and maybe even has a keyboard), it's J-rock. Though in Japanese stores you would also find an extra section for Visual Kei, the ones that dress up all gothic/sparkley and are chased by the fashion police.
I didn't percieve Boris' 'Pink' as poppy at all, if you compare them to Antic Cafe, for example. It's amazing what people squish into one genre, though!

Neotenic
445137.  Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote

Compared to some of the things Bondee listens to, 'Pink' is like the Bee Gees

;-)

<quietly throws Dir En Grey, Melt Banana (best band name ever) and Mad Capsule Markets on the 'bonkers Japanese rock band' pile>

Colle
446507.  Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote

Hahaha XD
Ah yes, Dir en grey, I prefer their older work, I'm the afraid their newer releases don't appeal to me as much.
I like the band names "Maximum the Hormone" or "Sex Machineguns". I've also heard that the 'Kinki Kids' (though J-pop) got problems in the US because of their name.

Spud McLaren
806273.  Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I wondered what songwriters and singers people would like to nominate in that category of creating great songs that aren't necessarily in a commercial vein.
First of all, thanks to Bradford (wherever he may be after that long-ago posting) for putting me onto Hejira. I had rather lost touch with Joni Mitchell's output, and though this one can hardly be said to be recent, it's damn good - very atmospheric. And it has the bonus of Jaco Pastorius, who behaves himself rather than having a 4-stringed toss-off on every track.

To move onto the quoted point:

Clive Gregson is always a good bet. His partnership with Christine Collister produced some very fine moments, especially Voodoo Doll and Not A Day Passes. Not necessarily to everyone's taste, but still...

Richard Thompson - it doesn't get much better than 1952 Vincent Black Lightning.

And a bit of a one-off; Derby lad Dave Sudbury wrote King of Rome, which was recorded by June Tabor on Aqaba.

Efros
835731.  Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD-hRcKiyjQ

THis has been going round and round my head today.

Jenny
835887.  Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
I had rather lost touch with Joni Mitchell's output, and though this one can hardly be said to be recent, it's damn good - very atmospheric.

I don't know why I didn't spot this earlier, Spud, but I need to tell you that Bradford sadly shuffled off this mortal coil last year. It was a great shock when I heard from a friend of his that he had died suddenly as he was a relatively young man - at least ten years younger than me at any rate. He had spent many years looking after his elderly invalid mother, who died maybe three or four years ago, and he had not long got himself his dream job, working from home proofreading for The Library Of America publishers. He was a good poet and a generous and lovely person, and I was sad to lose him as a (virtual - we never met though we had corresponded since 2002, having 'met' on the Pepys diary website discussions) friend.

Spud McLaren
835914.  Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Crikey. I'm very sorry to hear that, even though I never knew - or even "knew" - the gentleman.

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next