View previous topic | View next topic

QI Music

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Quaint Idiot
49233.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote

Like much of The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy then "apocryphal ... or at least wildly inaccurate".

Celebaelin
49620.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote

I fairly sure this belongs here rather than in the QI Websites thread so here goes, doubtless lots of you will have heard of Limewire before but if you haven't and you've ever had the experience of tearing your hair out because a favourite track or album hasn't appeared on CD then it's worth a bash.

A little while ago I gave it a go with limited success but whether I'm just using it better or the program/database has been expanded or whatever I've spent a ridiculous amount of time recently finding tracks by bands from the 80's that you are fairly unlikely to have heard of (and some other stuff that's like rocking horse shit in terms of rarity).

Anyone remember Cinderella? Ratt? How about Anvil? This last is particularly interesting because despite their kick-ass Donnington set I never found an Anvil album in the shops, let alone on CD, but they're there on Limewire; I'm just about to listen to some Anvil, Metal on Metal by name, for the first time since I heard them live (actually it's that long ago I'm not sure they played it, but it's an album title of theirs IIRC - which I do - so it's a fair bet).

Anyone bitch and moan about the removal of Passage to Bangkok from Rush's Exit...Stage Left, or the fact that you just can't get albums like El Loco by ZZ Top? It's not exhaustive but I've been yowping a lot and punching the air at stuff that is there to download - check it out!

<Edit> Bankok = Bangkok = (very long name)

Last edited by Celebaelin on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
49663.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote

<suddenly feels very very old for not having even heard of most of this lot>

Tas
49667.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote

*Remembers Cinderella*

I also remember several stunning Donnington concerts as well

:-)

Tas

Tas
49668.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote

*Remembers Cinderella and 2112 by Rush, and loves them both*

I also remember several stunning Donnington concerts as well!

(Which in itself is pretty amazing)

Tas

dr.bob
49680.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote

S'ok Jenny, I've no idea what he's talking about either (although I have heard of Rush and ZZ Top).

And I was born in the 70's :)

Though I will admit to being old. Once you're over 21, it's all downhill from there :)

dotcom
49722.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote

Well I've heard of Rush. But I'm one of these uncultured young folks.

djgordy
49724.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote

dotcom wrote:
Well I've heard of Rush. But I'm one of these uncultured young folks.

I saw Muse close Glastonbury a couple of years ago and their resemblance to Rush was astounding.

Celebaelin
49758.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:39 am Reply with quote

Rush are much copied and were themselves described by 'whispering' Bob Harris on the Old Grey Whistle Test with the words "If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then Led Zeppelin must be very flaterred, this is Rush."*

This was around the time of the first album, the imaginatively titled Rush (slightly before my time) and to be honest is a fair comment in oh so many ways. They did however develop a style of their own which was imitated by several bands including, on at least one occasion, that other Canadian 3-piece Anvil (Limewire, I think I love you).

*Geddy Lee sang and played bass (or keyboards and bass pedals).
Tas wrote:
*Remembers Cinderella and 2112 by Rush, and loves them both*

I also remember several stunning Donnington concerts as well!

(Which in itself is pretty amazing)

Tas

Did you see the '83 Whitesnake set? I DON'T mean the commercial video which only goes on as far as Mistreated (allegedly the last time Coverdale ever sang it, certainly the last time I ever heard it live) which they played before going off-stage the first time. They came back on and did another hour and a half after that - helicopters flying round putting spotlights on the crowd etc etc. You had to be there.

Limewire can't help me with the 'snake of course 'cos, well, *points at CDs*

Celebaelin
49762.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote

D is for Donnington!

Zaphod Beeblebrox
55805.  Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote

Shostakovich 10th symphony is a great piece, and really interesting.

Shostakovich included 2 musical signatures in it - his own: D Eb C B, and that of Elmira Nasirova, his student who he fell in love with: E A E D A (horn solo in the 3rd movement- at concert pitch, in a mixture of French and German notation, it spells out 'E La Mi Re A').
And of course the 2nd movement is thought to be a portrait of Stalin.

I'm doing a small presentation on Shost 10, so if anyone has any interesting sites/info it would be much appreciated, as Googling brings up a lot of attempts to sell me recordings :)

Thorns_QI_Crazy
68071.  Mon May 01, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote

T.M. Revolution, though might not be what you're looking for.

QI Individual
68113.  Mon May 01, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
as Googling brings up a lot of attempts to sell me recordings :)

It depends on the specificity of the search command whether you get a lot of junk information or not.

Try this one (915 hits).

Notice the difference of such a simple modification when compared to
this one (166,000 hits).

Zaphod Beeblebrox
68215.  Tue May 02, 2006 11:33 am Reply with quote

Cheers guys - i did the presentation a while ago, and it was just a short one so i managed to find more than enough info. I still find all this stuff interesting though, so thanks!

maiden
265755.  Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:38 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Since we're going to be selling music CDs as well as DVDs and books in the QI bookshop, here's your chance to talk about music that you enjoy, that you think other people might like. It doesn't have to be highbrow or abstruse.

This is quite a difficult one Jenny. There are some many different types of musical genre out there, plus everyone has their own personal favourites and their own take on what is good or bad.

I listen to quite a wide range of musical genres, but personally rank Heavy Metal/Rock (and all its sub-genres; Speed, Thrash, Death, Black, AOR, NWOBHM, etc) as one of the best musical styles or genres around. Classical music (not opera) is also enjoyable when having to concentrate on paperwork or when studying. General pop from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's is also agreeable.
The main music types which I can't stomach is the kind you find on most nightclub dancefloors or at Ibiza-type holiday resorts - the repetitive thump, thump, thump of a continual bass line and a repetitive lyric throughout the (so-called) song - Rap music can also have that kind of effect at times too - rather annoying

And in reference to other posts: Cinderalla, Ratt, Rush, Led Zeppelin - all great bands.

Maybe an online QI shop for selling CD's (or DVD's) could be arranged in the future - it could sell a wider range of music (or film / programmes), preferably with better prices than some of the online 'shops', for those of us who live nowhere near the QI shop, plus there would be no reason for argument then :)

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next