View previous topic | View next topic

QI Music

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Karalily
28812.  Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Mmmm... The system of education today irritates me badly and i'm stuck in the middle of it. I would far rather read 10+ books over a year and write overviews and critical studies on a general view than read 3 (yes, 3, should be many MANY more) and do slightly more detailed work. By the end of an 8-hours-a-week year of constantly drumming away at reasonably short texts, most of the class is so fed up with them that they don't want to revise. I'd agree.

Music is a funny subject! I never learnt anything about music being specifically taught it at GCSE (O-Level) level, but once I moved schools and started in a chamber choir, all the conductor would tell us to do is to (excuse my language!) "use your b***** diaphragm (how on earth?!?!) and "angels wings and tits to the sky, girls." It took me a year and a bit to work out what on earth he was on about... I just thought he was very perverted! I still think he is, especially since I heard that he handcuffed my RS teacher to a radiator for 2 hours.

And with regard to the socks, Duke of Edinburgh's Award at gold level quickly teaches you that dirty socks are still socks! The best thing to do - wear two pairs of socks, one over the other and then swap them around after the third day to last till the sixth - that way you get fewer blisters from the extra layer and slightly cleaner socks! You could of course carry the extra 10 grams up a boggy mount, but I decided against it.

Sazmin
28850.  Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:35 am Reply with quote

About the story of your perverted music teacher - slightly intimidating there - any reasons as to WHY he handcuffed your rs teacher to a radiator or is it explicit?
Anyway good call with the sock idea, very efficient and resourceful. Blisters are a big no-no, i ended up getting a foot infection from them which meant a week away from school, i did manage to get myself an unbelievable tan in that week off, but not the point.
And yes to come back to music teachers (not perverted ones necessarily though) - my previous music teacher used to say all this malarchy about the diaphragm and how we should pretend someone has tied a rope around it and is pulling it up and out, so we sing as loud as we can. It was a slightly odd and grim story, but thats dedicated music teachers for you...

dotcom
28949.  Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote

D'you know, somebody got trench foot last year at Glastonbury.
Don't know if they found that hysterical, but I did.

dotcom
38801.  Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote

Here is a link to The MasterSingers singing....well, I'll let you find out for yourself.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thegablehouse/chris-j/highway.mp3

My dad wonders if anybody knows what the chants are - it's sung in Anglican chant, anyone a QI chorister?!

swot
47420.  Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote

There was strange music teacher at my high school. She named musical notes after drinks.

Crotchets (1 beat) became gin.
Minims (2 beats) were beer
A pair of quavers (2 half-beats) were called whisky. I wonder if she was hiding something.

samivel
47425.  Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:17 am Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like she was hiding it :)

swot
47662.  Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote

Tee hee. True.
I think Ben Folds should be in the QI music shop, not only because he's great, but for the chorus in 'Bastard'

Quote:
So why you gotta act like you know when you don't know?
It's okay if you don't know everything.

It sounds very QI to me.

eggshaped
48393.  Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote

I think the quite brilliant Arctic Monkeys deserve a mention here for the sales of their debut album "Whatever you say I am, that's what I am not".

After building up an enormous fanbase through free downloads and illegal file-sharing* the band has had two number one singles and the album is now no1 in the chart, having outsold the entire rest of the top 20 combined to become the fastest selling debut album in british chart history.

The previous encumbant of this record was Hear'say (they of the rogue apostrophe) who of course rose to fame through Pop Stars.

Apart from the fact that the 'Monkeys are actually quite good, it is interesting to compare the two - both bands the victim of excessive hype through two of our generation's strongest media - reality television and the internet.

*and, to be fair massive support from Radio1.

Gray
48496.  Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:05 am Reply with quote

They seem quite smart, the Arctic Monkeys people. Know what they're doing.

Also, concerning the setting of the Highway Code to chant:
Quote:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thegablehouse/chris-j/highway.mp3

My dad wonders if anybody knows what the chants are - it's sung in Anglican chant, anyone a QI chorister?!

It's a standard four-quarter Anglican psalm chant (the one on that page is only a half-chant, though) and this one has three chants: the first is Walmisley in D, I think, but I'm not sure what the others are...

The Master Singers have done a weather report in this style: The Weather Report.

Althought the (very much better) King Singers have a superb
BBC frequency changes. notice...

According to one page:
Quote:
Both "Highway Code" and "Weather Report" hit the British charts in 1966. The songs were produced by George Martin, who also was producer for the Beatles.

In the choral tradition, psalm singing is the hardest to do well. It should be done without conductor, and everyone has to be in more-or-less telepathic contact with everyone else so that every single consonant, vowel-change and note are in complete synchrony. When it happens, it's completely, spine-chillingly magic, and entire choirs end up grinning inappropriately.

dotcom
48830.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote

I've just heard Madonna's cover of American Pie

You know, I really am considering cutting off my own ears, in true Vincent fashion.

It was such a good song when Don McLean sang it.

eggshaped
48834.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote

Dotcom, just wait til you get to University and you can't enter a student bar/club without hearing that song (usually accompianied by a bunch of drunken hockey players).

You'll soon think both versions are pants.

Caradoc
48902.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote

Eggshaped, are they still doing Sloop John B as well?

LexiD523
49141.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote

Now, I know I'm the only one here who spends way too much time on the Internet, so please be patient with me. I've discovered a musician named Neil Cicierega aka Trapezzoid aka Lemon Demon, who writes some absolutely wonderfully absurd songs. One song in particular made me think of Stephen; it's called "Word Disassociation"

See the music video

He also wrote The Ultimate Showdown

Quaint Idiot
49215.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote

dotcom wrote:
I've just heard Madonna's cover of American Pie

You know, I really am considering cutting off my own ears, in true Vincent fashion.

It was such a good song when Don McLean sang it.

This story is probably completely apocryphal, but here goes anyway.

Don McLean was asked "What does Madonna's version of Ameircan Pie mean to you?".

He replied, "It means I'll never have to work again".

Flash
49226.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote

I heard that before Madonna made her version, and the question put to McLean as the simpler "What does American Pie mean?"

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next