View previous topic | View next topic

Format Ideas

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
286477.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote

Just thought I'd start a thread on formatting ideas that were mentioned at the meeting; mainly for those who did not attend to give their ideas/opinions.

i) F*!$ forfeit: each show starts with Stephen explaining that the word fuck will lead to a 10 point deduction, only for the first question in each show to give it as an obvious answer.

ii) Factoid forfeit: When a panellist hits a klaxon, stephen picks out a card with an internet "factoid" on it. Panellists have to choose true or false, either getting their points back, or getting a double-klaxon.

iii) Performing a forfeit: Instead of (or as well as) losing points, the panellist has to perform an F-related forfeit, such as putting ferrets down their trousers.

I think there were more; if so, here's the place to put them...

Bunter
286486.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote

I think it was a good innovation to theme the "bleeps" in the show.

eggshaped
286488.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote

Yes, just to confirm, this was the "fuck" bleeps that would be themed, for instance, in the "fire" show it might be the sound of a fire engine.

Flash
286489.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote

It's illegal to put ferrets down your trousers, apparently.

Here's what I was thinking on the bike ride home: in the "Fun" show (Children in Need) whenever you get klaxoned you can opt to play "Fact or Forfeit" as a kind or double-or-quits. We'd set up a special lighting state and some portentous music like in Millionaire - like this:

Klaxon

Stephen: Oh dear! Do you want to take the 10 point penalty, or will you play Fact or Forfeit?

Alan: Fact or Forfeit please, Stephen.

Stephen: Very well - you have chosen to play ... Fact or Forfeit!

Lights go off, except for purple spotlights whirling around Alan. Double Bass note throbs.

Stephen: Nervous?

Alan: A bit.

Stephen: Here it is: true or false - a duck's quack doesn't echo.

Alan: That's ... true.

Klaxon

Stephen: Oh Lordy bless, that's a forfeit for you. You have to (whatever).

MatC
286500.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote

For my taste, too much format; as it is, I spend the time wasted on introducing the buzzer sounds shouting "Get on with the show!" at my telly.

Love the themed klaxons, though - brilliant. Especially if they're not introduced.

Flash
286508.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote

I agree that we should curtail the buzzer section a bit. It's difficult to reduce in the edit, that's the problem.

But jokey references to the conventions of the quiz show format which we are superficially following seem to go down quite well, on the whole.

Last edited by Flash on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total

MatC
286510.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote

There's probably some obvious TV reason for this - but why do you introduce the buzzers? Why not let them introduce themselves, as it were, when they are used?

Flash
286516.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote

The question is worth asking. There's only any point if the buzzers themselves constitute some sort of joke, and maybe that particular joke has run its course. The balance is between freshening things up on the one hand and dumping the things that people feel comfortable with on the other.

MatC
286523.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote

Quote:
There's only any point if the buzzers themselves constitute some sort of joke,

Even then, I think the joke would be funnier if it came up naturally, during play - instead of saying "We will now have a funny buzzer."

Only one man's opinion, of course. I am not the world's most patient TV watcher!

dr.bob
286585.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Here's what I was thinking on the bike ride home: in the "Fun" show (Children in Need) whenever you get klaxoned you can opt to play "Fact or Forfeit" as a kind or double-or-quits. We'd set up a special lighting state and some portentous music like in Millionaire - like this:

That sounds like a lot of fun, but I think it would swiftly get tedious if you did that for every klaxon. Maybe just one or two in that particular show.

dr.bob
286589.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
i) F*!$ forfeit: each show starts with Stephen explaining that the word fuck will lead to a 10 point deduction, only for the first question in each show to give it as an obvious answer.

Presumably, to keep the contestants on their toes, occasionally the first question should genuinely have a correct answer of "fuck," with bonus points for being brave enough to risk the forfeit.

MatC
304367.  Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote

How about having one episode where the panellists choose their own forfeit words? Have no producer-chosen forfeits at all, instead give each panellist three bits of card and a magic marker at the start of the show, and they can write what they want and hold them up (while making a klaxon noise through their teeth) against their opponents, whenever they fancy their chances.

Flash
304574.  Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote

Beautiful. It also works very well with an idea we talked about at the meeting, where each week there's a "mystery F word" which is shown to the studio and TV audience but not known by the panellists, and Stephen has to induce them to say it, whereupon there's a grand klaxon. Your idea allows us to play with that one week: they do it to each other.

Page 1 of 1