View previous topic | View next topic

Mountains

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
294802.  Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote

Question: If Everest is the highest peak on the Earth's surface, where is the second highest?

Forfeit: K2, Kanchenchunga

Answer: Also on Everest.

According to this guy, and some others on the net, the South Summit of Everest is the second highest peak in the world.

If you think it's useful, I'll look into it a bit more. Not sure if it's too much of a trick?

Flash
294927.  Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote

I think that's quite nice, as long as we're up front about acknowledging that it's a dirty trick.

eggshaped
297969.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote

In looking for a list of the deepest lakes in the UK, I've found the details on everest.

South Summit of Everest: 28,707 feet

K2: 28,250 feet.

...And what about this for a killer, I bet you'd catch EVERYONE out with this one:

Question: In which Mountain range is K2?

Forfeit: Himalayas

Answer: Karakorums

s: Daily Telegraph A-Z of everything* - confirmed by a cursory google.

*everything, that is, except for the UK's deepest lakes.

Flash
298070.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote

Picture researchers: can we see if there's a nice picture of Everest which shows the two peaks side-by-side? Maybe we could do a reveal where the second peak is initially masked off.

Also a map which shows the Himalyas and the Karakorums.

dr.bob
298581.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:52 am Reply with quote

Might be tricky to show the two peaks side by side. There's a picture of it on this website which describes the south summit as, rather descriptively, a "pimple just right of the true summit." It's quite hard to make out so you may not need to mask off the southern peak initially. Actually, that may make for a better joke, since the answer would've been staring them in the face all along :)

Apropos of nothing much, but found whilst googling for Everest's south summit, here is a website which tells of a group that climbed to the top of Mont Blanc and then proceeded to have a jacuzzi up there :)

Flash
298635.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob. Here's the photo:

The text says:
Quote:
Mount Everest, summit block.

Climbers ascend the mountain via the right skyline ridge. Everest buffs who have read Krakauer's "into thin air" will recognize the south col (center right), the south summit (pimple just right of the true summit where the angle lays back), and the Hillary Step (little notch halfway between the south summit and true summit).

which I think is a bit disappointing for our purposes - it's hardly a summit at all, the secondary one.

eggshaped
298689.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote

Not just disappointing, I'd say downright unusable unless it looks a hell of a lot better from the other side.

Flash
298770.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote

Yes. I was being polite.

Page 1 of 1