View previous topic | View next topic

Fragments

Page 7 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

eggshaped
341811.  Thu May 22, 2008 6:31 am Reply with quote

WHO:

Quote:
However, it is important to stress that the belief that cholera epidemics are caused by dead bodies after disasters, whether natural or man-made, is false.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs107/en/index.html

Interestingly, according to that factsheet, we are currently in the middle of a cholera pandemic - one that began in 1961.

[/url]

dr.bob
341812.  Thu May 22, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quote

Somewhat confusingly, that CNN link you posted goes on to say:

Quote:
Bodies should be buried at least a meter (three feet) below ground and far from water sources, according to "Infection Hazards of Human Cadavers," a chapter in "A Guide to Infection Control in the Hospital" (B.C. Decker Inc. 1998).

My reading of Dr Nabarro's claim is that, while dead bodies provide some health risk, they're not the primary health risk facing survivors in the disaster zone and so should not be given priority over important things like ensuring a clean water supply and suchlike.

eggshaped
341818.  Thu May 22, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quote

I agree, though I would probably say that dead bodies carry "minimal health risk". But that's just a matter of semantics. It's probably possible to word a question to keep all parties happy.

The WHO is extremely voiciferous about this fact. If you check out their website it is repeated again and again and again.

eggshaped
341822.  Thu May 22, 2008 6:46 am Reply with quote

Perhaps:
Q. "What is the greatest threat to water supplies after natural disasters?"

F: Dead Bodies

A. The Survivors

eggshaped
341912.  Thu May 22, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote

The "fastest man on Earth" accolade usually goes to the person who is the best at the 100m sprint. However, it should go to 200m champions:

Quote:
In both events the athlete starts from a stationary position and there is a requirement to accelerate to maximum velocity.

“Achieving this maximum velocity will take athletes in both events approximately 35-40 metres and the 200m by the nature of the distance will spend longer at peak velocity than the 100m runner.

“Therefore the average running velocity is higher in a 200m runner as they will run for approximately 160m at peak velocity compared to a 100m runner who will run for only around 60m at the same rate.”

Question: Who is the fastest human runner of all time?

F: Asafa Powell

A: Michael Johnson

http://www.eis2win.co.uk/gen/news_sprintrecords020805.aspx

I'm not putting it forward as a question, but could make a note to something.

MatC
343740.  Sat May 24, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote

Just seen a debunking of a myth I’d never heard of, which always makes them a bit less attractive ... but just in case it’s a general ignorance which I was ignorant of, do people believe that the Royal Navy is called “the Andrew” after Lieutenant Andrew
Millar, a press-ganger in the Napoleonic Wars, who was so keen that the men he pressed thought the Navy must belong to him?

(I can’t believe anyone would believe such a thing, but apparently lots of people do.)

Jenny
343776.  Sat May 24, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote

It's a myth I was certainly generally ignorant of - having never even heard that the Royal Navy was called 'The Andrew'.

MatC
343784.  Sat May 24, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote

Oh blimey, that's a bad start!

Flash
344061.  Sat May 24, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote

That's a new one on me, too.

Jenny
344334.  Sat May 24, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote

I feel better about not knowing that now.

MatC
345031.  Mon May 26, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote

Hold on, Major Flash (ret'd); you mean the myth, yes? - you don't mean you've never heard the RN called the Andrew?

MatC
345104.  Mon May 26, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote

FLORA:
Q: What sort of plants should put in your garden to attract wildlife?

F: Native species.

A: Anything you like.

It may be that this piece of general ignorance is unknown outside the worlds of gardening and conservation - where, to this day, it is absolutely universal - but just in case it’s of interest, I’ll log it here; further details ‘pon request.

Flash
345105.  Mon May 26, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
Hold on, Major Flash (ret'd); you mean the myth, yes? - you don't mean you've never heard the RN called the Andrew?

Never have, I'm afraid. We used to call the cavalry "donkey-wallopers" and the RAF "crabs" but I don't remember calling the Navy anything at all.

MatC
345113.  Mon May 26, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote

That's extraordinary. Is it perhaps that they kept the existence of the Navy a secret from you, on a "need to know" basis?

MatC
345114.  Mon May 26, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote

I rather like this - ah - explanation, from an ex-forces' website:

Quote:
Crab is latin for " work shy civvies"
The Andrew is a reference to the name of the first victim of male rape on a submarine

Page 7 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next