View previous topic | View next topic

Fragments

Page 3 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Flash
312565.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote

I feel that we did, but I'd need to check. Maybe the Gen Ig section of the Films show could be devoted to filmic myths? We may have done some of these already, but things like

piranhas
quicksand
petrol tanks exploding
nitroglycerine
bullets slamming people against a wall
rattlesnakes rattling

There's an old thread devoted to this topic somewhere.

Perhaps the fallacious physics of superheroes?

eggshaped
312570.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote

Question: Who is most likely to kill you?

Forfeit: A relative

Answer: You

The suicide rate is higher than the homicide rate: Nearly a third more people die at their own hands than die at other people's hands. Suicide is the ninth leading cause of death in the US.

Not sure if we've touched on this before, and if its a bit dark, but it's also a number 6 if not, because the UK figures would be required.

http://www.livescience.com/health/070829_bad_suicide.html

Flash
312592.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote

It's a question which gives them plenty of scope, though.

eggshaped
312596.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote

Link to FAMILIES too

eggshaped
313139.  Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:46 am Reply with quote

In response to the question raised at the meeting, it seems that muscle is indeed denser than fat, so does weigh more. This isn't the reason you put on weight when exercising though, as one doesn't turn into the other, but there's not really enough to debunk here I think.

Move along...

MatC
313248.  Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote

When people get to arguing about the merits of the filthy metric system vs the excellent Imperial - an argument in which I take no side - someone usually mentions that the pint was chosen as a measurement of drinks, because it was the amount that could comfortably fill a human bladder. Often, someone will follow this up by saying that because people are bigger these days, our bladders can now comfortably hold a litre.

Do either of these claims have any truth in them?

eggshaped
313941.  Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote

What was the hottest year in the history of the United States?

Forfeit: 2007, 2005, 1998

Something to do with the "dust bowl" problem, I think. Sadly, the question doesn't really work in this country. The hottest year in the history of the world was 2005 (this year will be colder than last, due to il nina)

**edit**

Actually, I think 1998 was warmer than 2005 globally, but not by a statistically significany amount. In otherwords, they're about equal.

Maybe quite GI that the temperature hasn't really risen in the last 10 years?

Flash
314014.  Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote

Film myths: cigarettes igniting petrol: post 313866

dr.bob
314374.  Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:35 am Reply with quote

Q: How did Frankenstein give life to his creature?

K: Electricity, lightning, etc.

A: He kept it a secret.

The story of Frankenstein is told as Victor Frankenstein relates details of his life to an explorer he encounters. When describing the creation of his creature, Frankenstein deliberately doesn't tell his audience how he breathed life into its lifeless form for fear that said explorer might be tempted to do the same thing and similarly ruin his own life as Frankenstein ruined his.

MatC
314893.  Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:24 am Reply with quote

The most interestingly surprising thing about piranhas, I think, is not that they don’t strip you to the bone in seconds flat (I suspect everybody knows that by now) but that they are mainly scavengers, not predators - and that amongst their main predators are dolphins!

S: Daily Telegraph, 2 July 07

Q: Who would win a fight between a dolphin and a shoal of piranhas? (Link to the Flash’s “Who would win ...?” strand).

Other Links: Films, Fishes.

WB
314944.  Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote

Redmon O'Hanlon, the author & explorer, who travelled around the Amazon existed on a diet of Piranha. He didn't really worry about them though when bathing. His big fear was a small fish called the Candiru - a parasitic Catfish only about an inch long. This fish swims up inside the body and lodges itself by deploying its gill covers which ar covered in spines. It feeds on blood. It has been known to penetrate the ear, anus & urethra. It is extremely painful and very hard to remove. In the book "In Trouble Again" Redmon manufactures a protective device from a tea strainer. According to Wiki, it has featured on the TV show House with Hugh Laurie.

Jenny
314985.  Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote

Back in the mists of time in the C series, eggshaped wrote post 15654 about that.

dr.bob
318259.  Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quote

In Florence, Italy, they have two concurrently operating address numbering systems. For some reason, someone thought it'd be a great idea to number all the residential properties with black numbers, and all the businesses and shops with red numbers. To make matters worse, the red and black numbers follow their own sequence and are mixed in together. So it's quite possible to walk down a street in Florence and see buildings numbered:

2, 4, 2, 6, 8, 4, 10, 12, 14, 6, etc....

eggshaped
319120.  Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:24 am Reply with quote

Drummers are often derided as the stupid ones in popular beat combos, but:

Quote:
Drummers are better known for their beats than their brain power, but research has suggested that they might actually be natural intellectuals.

Scientists who asked volunteers to keep time with a drumstick before taking intelligence tests discovered that those with the best sense of rhythm also scored highest in the mental assessments.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/17/ndrum117.xml

dr.bob
319126.  Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote

But do people with the best sense of rhythm become drummers? Surely any musician would need a good sense of rhythm.

Page 3 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next