View previous topic | View next topic

Fragments

Page 2 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Flash
304263.  Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Hmmm - I wrote a script once in which they worked out that someone was already dead when they fell in the water because there was no water in their lungs. A load of old cobblers, apparently.

MatC
304351.  Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote

That's amazing, egg - that is an absolute standby of crime fiction utterly shafted!

dr.bob
304920.  Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
When you die of drowning, you don't typically get water in your lungs, you die because the water causes your epiglotis to close up the airway.

According to post 274645, the British Sub Aqua Club Sports Manual states that water does enter the lungs in 75-80% of cases, due to the person becoming unconscious and relaxing the laryngeal spasm which allows water to enter the lungs. The technical term for this is "wet drowning."

It's only in about 20-25% of cases (according to the BSAC) that no water enters the lungs due to the laryngeal spasm being so powerful it redirects all inhaled water into the stomach. This is technically known as "dry drowning."

The same post also mentions "secondary drowning." In this case, a small amount of water inhaled into the lungs can cause severe irritation to the lining of the lungs causing oedema. Thus, if a victim is successfully revived, their lungs can then continue to fill with fluid produced by the lungs' own lining as a result of this irritation. This fluid production can be severe enough to cause drowning many* hours after the actual immersion in water. Secondary drowning can also be caused by inhaling toxic fumes.

*Wiki says "up to 72 hours"

eggshaped
304930.  Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quote

I suppose the crux is that it's not the water in the lungs that suffocates you, but the body's own reaction. The stats that Bob posts, which admittedly I didn't realise were so high, were the reason this is in "fragments".

My source for the fact btw was some Gunther von Haagen-daas program, so it's hardly stonewall.

dr.bob
304958.  Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:39 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
I suppose the crux is that it's not the water in the lungs that suffocates you, but the body's own reaction.

Yup, that much is true. The water only enters your lungs once you've been deprived of oxygen for so long that you become unconscious, by which time it's probably too late anyway.

So the only time you're actually suffocated by "water" in your lungs is if you experience secondary drowning, which is more than likely going to happen on dry land.

Which is Quite Interesting :)

Not sure what it's got to do with "F" though :(

MatC
304963.  Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote

I donít suppose thereís any way of using it on a light entertainment show, but the idea of there being two types of drowning - wet and dry - strikes me as clear winner of the Oddest Piece of Terminology This Month award ...

dr.bob
305000.  Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote

Keep up! There are three types of drowning: wet, dry, and secondary.

MatC
305097.  Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:06 am Reply with quote

Yeah, but secondary's not as funny as dry, be fair.

Jenny
305297.  Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote

Something I read on the information boards at the top of the Sears Tower was a piece of Gen Ig as far as I was concerned. It might also tie in with Fakes.

Q. Where did the Harlem Globetrotters originate?

A. Chicago.

They were founded in 1926 by Abe Saperstein from the North side and a group of African-American athletes from Wendell Phillips High School on the South Side and based in Chicago until 1976.

The reason for the Harlem part of the name is that Saperstein wanted to capitalize on the novelty value of a travelling team of black ballplayers, and in the 1920s Harlem was the center of African-American culture, so the name provided a guide to the make-up of the team. The Globetrotters part was because he wanted audiences to think his team were world travellers.

The Harlem Globetrotters didn't actually play a game in Harlem until 1968.

The need for the team to travel arose because the early professional basketball leagues of the times were "whites only," so African-American players had to pick up games wherever they could find an opponent and a crowd willing to pay to watch. The clowning began late in the 1930s, partly to entertain the crowd and partly because the team had a fairly small number of players and it gave them a chance to catch their breath. At their peak, the Globetrotters were one of the best basketball teams in the world, winning the World Professional Basketball Tournament in 1940.

Link.

eggshaped
309166.  Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote

Here's the paper which allegedly proves that a coin flipped is more likely to land on the side which was face-up when it began. i.e. tossing a coin is not 50/50.

I wonder if anyone can see a problem with it?

http://www-stat.stanford.edu/%7Ecgates/PERSI/papers/headswithJ.pdf

dr.bob
309196.  Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote

The 13th day of the month is very slightly more likely to be a Friday than any other day of the week.

eggshaped
312532.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:15 am Reply with quote

Most people who contract cowpox do so through cats, cows very rarely contain the virus. The cats usually catch it from infected voles.

eggshaped
312537.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote

One question I ran with in an online forum quiz was:

Question: What do you call a slug with a shell?

Forfeit: A snail

Answer: A shelled slug

The idea is that a slug is defined as a snail that either does not have a shell, or has a very small shell. There are a number of things that are actually slugs and do have comically small shells.

I'm not sure if the question is taxonomically sound, but I think it's pretty funny, and the pics are generally a larf too. Here is the wiki one:

Picture researchers, you may want to see if we think this is a goer before you start looking for pics.

Flash
312544.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote

Looks good to me. Go for it, I say.

eggshaped
312555.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote

Ok, put it in the conflatus as a "6".

Did we ever do anything about piranhas? We should surely put that one to bed one day:

Quote:
"Previously it was thought piranhas shoaled as it enabled them to form a cooperative hunting group," said Professor Anne Magurran.

"However, we have found that it is primarily a defensive behaviour."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6259946.stm

Page 2 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next