View previous topic | View next topic

Funerals

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Frederick The Monk
296089.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be easier to just cremate bodies in terms of the energy used liquifying and storing the nitrogen - or is that less than the furnace option?

eggshaped
296092.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote

I guess you could try getting in touch with Wiigh-Maesak's company.

http://www.promessa.se/contact_en.asp

WB
296107.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote

I think that the original incentive was to avoid paying a huge bill for the conversion of the town's existing crematorium which needed to meet new EC emission standards. I've read it has to do with Mercury vapour from old burning dental fillings causing pollution........

Frederick The Monk
296117.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote

That makes sense. It's certainly less immediately polluting, although I assume the fillings go into the box with the dust and get buried as they're not going to be picked up by a magnet.

eggshaped
308144.  Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:09 am Reply with quote

A sin-eater was one who was paid by the relatives of a deceased, but sinful, person who had not been able to recant the errors of his ways. The sin-eater would supposedly purify the dead-man's soul by eating a meal of bread and ale that had been prepared on the body.

s: OED

Jenny
308288.  Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote

According to a blog from a retired funeral director,

Quote:
Black mourning dress became popular during Queen Victoria’s reign. After Prince Albert died she never wore anything else, and the fashion persisted until the late 20th century. Most people don’t know why they wear black, if they do, or why they should. It began in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, when death rituals demonstrated worth and social status.

However, death rituals certainly demonstrated worth and social status before that - Pepys' Diary records him being given gifts of mourning rings at funerals.

MatC
312383.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote

We discussed, but did we ever use, the Gen Ig about WC Fields's tombstone?

Flash
312399.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:26 am Reply with quote

Don't think so.

Frederick The Monk
312400.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:26 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Black mourning dress became popular during Queen Victoria’s reign. After Prince Albert died she never wore anything else, and the fashion persisted until the late 20th century. Most people don’t know why they wear black, if they do, or why they should. It began in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, when death rituals demonstrated worth and social status.

The French mourning colour was white. Here's Mary Queen of Scots in mourning for her late husband Francois I, after an original by Francois Clouet (1561)

MatC
312444.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Don't think so.

Might as well post it up then:

<<<MYTHCONCEPTIONS: 125: WC FIELDS'S TOMBSTONE

by Mat Coward.

THE MYTH: "On the whole, I'd sooner be in [or playing] Philadelphia" - it's perhaps the most famous bequeathed giggle of all time; the monumental engraving which marks the final rotting place of a comic actor who is remembered and revered as much for his misanthropy as for the films he appeared in.

THE "TRUTH": It hurts me to type these words, but - folks, there is no such tombstone message. There isn't even a tombstone. WC was cremated, and the plaque upon his reliquary carries only the simple, restrained, and hideously disappointing words: "WC Fields 1880-1946".

SOURCES: An item in The Independent (30 January 1999), concerning a new biography: "Man on the flying trapeze: The life and times of WC Fields," by Simon Louvish, published by Faber & Faber.

DISCLAIMER: What a revoltin' development! Can anyone say it ain't so? Mythcon Control would be unusually pleased to hear from you, if you can disprove this po-faced revisionism.

>>>

Jenny
312588.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote

The Chinese wear white for mourning as well don't they?

eggshaped
312601.  Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote

This reminds me of the origins of the "little black dress". John Singer Sargent caused uproar with his painting of an alluring woman (Madame X) in a black dress. I think it was because this colour was generally thought of as a mourning colour, and so a grief-stricken woman should not be wearing such a provocative dress. But then that doesn't really make sense if white was the French colour of mourning.

link

MatC
318340.  Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:09 am Reply with quote

Vaguely related to funerals ...

In 1945, London was faced with a gigantic homelessness crisis. Temporary homes - huts and prefabs - were erected by councils in all sorts of places, including, in Shoreditch, on a disused burial ground.

Quote:
Here, the wife of a young soldier and their children who had lost their home to a V-1 were to have a distinctive address: 1 The Graveyard, Shoreditch. Her hutment home would be built over old graves and her view would be of tombstones.

Sixteen hutments were built there, on “London’s first graveyard estate.” Permission to build on consecrated ground was given by the Bishop of London.

S: ‘London 1945’ by Maureen Waller (John Murray, 2005).

eggshaped
333198.  Fri May 09, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote

Another "Green" burial: dissolve the body in Lye and flush it down the drain:

Quote:
The process is called alkaline hydrolysis and was developed in the United States 16 years ago to get rid of animal carcasses. It uses lye, 300-degree (150 degree Celsius) heat and 60 pounds of pressure per square inch to destroy bodies in big stainless-steel cylinders that are similar to pressure cookers.

Quote:
"We believe this process, which enables a portion of human remains to be flushed down a drain, to be undignified," said Patrick McGee, a spokesman for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Manchester (NH).

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/080508-ap-lye-funeral.html

eggshaped
351239.  Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote

The guy who invented the pringles can (Dr. Fredric J. Baur) has had some of his remains buried in a pringles can.

link

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next