View previous topic | View next topic

Fashion

Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Flash
303030.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote

This 1912 article says that it was the Duke of Wellington who was excluded from his club. 1912 was celebrated as the centenary of trousers (it's a tongue-in-cheek article from the New York Times).

Flash
303032.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
Why is LORD in capitals? Is it an acronym, do you think?

My recollection of the Bible as printed is that it's full of apparently arbitrary capitalisations and italicisations and also sprinkled with strange typographical symbols. I suppose it all means something.

MatC
303033.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote

Links to the bloomers stuff over on the Flora thread. It seems whatever anywhere wears around their bottom parts causes outrage. We've also got some kilts stuff somewhere, haven't we?

How does one tell a breech from a trouser, by the way?

Flash
303037.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote

A breech terminates just below the knee, I think.

If we are doing fashion/fads, then the low-slung trouser thing surely does deserve a mention. Who the hell would have seen that one coming?

MatC
303049.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote

Deliberately visible knickers is where I began to feel old.

Jenny
303051.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote

Duct tape - making the world a prettier place.

Flash
303184.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote

I think it was definitely the Duke of Wellington, not the Grand Old Duke of York. This from a history of Almack's:
Quote:
He returned a hero - the man who had driven Napoleon's French troops from the Iberian Peninsula in a series of fierce encounters at Badajoz, Salamanca and Vitoria. The Prince Regent conferred a Dukedom on him; crowds gathered to greet him at Dover - as they did all along the route to London. Lady Jersey and her committee appear to have been less impressed. As Wellington's latest biographer, Christopher Hibbert, records (Wellington: A Personal History), when the Duke tried to gain admission to the Assembly Rooms, he was turned away "because he was wearing trousers instead of the knee breeches and white cravats required by the seven ladies of high rank who ruled the establishment with draconian authority".

According to Gronow (The Reminiscences and Recollections of Captain Gronow), 'The Duke, who had a great respect for orders and regulations, quietly walked away'. Wellington, added Gronow, was not the only one to suffer such ignominy. "Very often persons whose rank and fortunes entitled them to entree anywhere else were excluded by the cliquism of the lady patronesses, for the female government of Almack's was a pure despotism and subject to all the caprices of despotic rule. It is needless to add that, like every other despotism, it was not innocent of abuses."

Venetia Murray, in High Society, explains that the patronesses of Almack's would blackball anyone they "considered would lower the tone of the club....they were known to have blackballed Lord March and a Mr Boothby, 'to their great astonishment'. These formidable dragons were ruthless, arbitrary and despotic."

http://www.almacks.com/history-04.shtm

eggshaped
303207.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote

Sorry Flash, a bit late on this one.

It was definitely Wellington who was famous for wearing trousers. In fact, there're a few sources "out there" that say he was the first person to wear them. While this is highly unlikely*, he certainly seems to have bucked the general trend for britches and helped popularise pants.

I was a bit obsessed with this fact during the radio show research (I don't think it was mentioned in the final edit), but I can't find my research now, it's probably on the BBC computers somewhere, I've also had a quick scan of my well-annotated Wellington biog, and I can't find it. But if it's useful, I'm sure I can replicate the work.

*i.e. "wrong"

Lots of GI about the Battle of Waterloo too, if we've not done it all before.

Flash
303220.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote

I don't think we have done Waterloo. If there's some good Gen Ig, it might work under "fighting" and/or "France". I have one, I think - you often hear that Blucher was under the delusion that he was about to give birth to an elephant, but I think it's the case that this was just a Prussian figure of speech, used by someone who had overeaten.

eggshaped
303228.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote

Didn't take place at waterloo was one, also the fact that it wasn't england v france, rather it was a huge conglomeration of countries against france. Also the "waiting for the russians" bit was supposed to be nonsense, wasn't it?

Maybe I'll bring more to the next meeting.

suze
303231.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
Why is LORD in capitals? Is it an acronym, do you think?

The use of LORD in the Old Testament was conventional when it was a translation of the Tetragrammaton (YHWH, or however one chooses to represent it). In the New Testament, the Lord refers to Jesus.

Catholic Bibles don't do this. The original edition of the Douay-Rheims text (traditional Catholic Bible analogous to the King James) did however place the name of JESUS in capital letters whenever He was mentioned - but this is no longer usual.

Flash
303234.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote

In the 1770s there was a fashion for women to wear huge wigs, sometimes with model ships built onto the top. They took several hours to assemble and were kept on for a week at a time, so the wearer had to sleep upright, and if she was travelling in a sedan chair she had to sit on the floor. Built-in mouse traps were also featured.

Men of the time wore wigs as well, of course. Here are some of the designs you could get:

Adonis
    Adorable
    Artichoke
    Apothecary's
    Grizzled
    Cauliflower
    Elephant
    Gentilly
    Grecian Fly
    Inconstance
    Impassiant
    Indifference
    Jalousie
    Lunatique
    Maw-Worm
    Negligent
    Physical
    Pigeon's Wing
    Prudence Puff
    Ravir
    Rhinoceros
    She-Dragon
    Spinach Seed
    Staircase
    Wild Boar's Back

Will somebody please make a joke about that, as I'm regretting taking the time to type out the list.

Flash
303236.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote

Which would you rather have on your head - an Elephant, a Rhinoceros, or a She-Dragon?

Flash
303238.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote

Stout party (spotting a fashionable adornment):
"Aha! The Wild Boar's Back!"

Dandified gent (oblivious):
"'Pon my Soul, sir - I didn't know he'd been away!"

Flash
303240.  Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote

I feel a bit better now.

Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next