View previous topic | View next topic

Morphine

Page 1 of 1

MatC
291297.  Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote

I haven’t got a question to go with this yet, but I have got some background notes on the UK’s current attempts to become self-sufficient in the growing of opium poppies.

Quote:
The great virtue of morphine is that it confers a different sort of analgesia than other painkillers by affecting the quality of the pain so it becomes much more tolerable. Further, the fear of possible addiction from long-term use has, it seems, been much exaggerated. When prescribed in a medical context for relief of a well-defined condition it rarely if ever leads to subsequent abuse.

Which I would say was the opposite of what most people believe. The quote is from Sunday Telegraph, 5 Aug 07, and the writer’s source appears to be a book “Anaesthesia and the practice of medicine” by Professor Keith Sykes.

Flash
291479.  Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote

Fits into the topic Flowers/Flora.

MatC
291923.  Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Understandably, the opium trade has been called 'the most long-continued and systematic international crime of modern times' perpetrated by the West on a vulnerable Asian nation. But what exactly was the effect of this supposedly pernicious substance?
Opium's impact on health has been dramatised. Medical evidence points to only one effect - mild constipation. In Britain, frequent users did not suffer any detrimental effects. On the contrary, they enjoyed good health into their eighties.
South Asians took opium pills without any serious social or physical damage. In contrast, imported European spirits faced strong opposition from India's Hindus and Muslims. Contrary to folklore, few opium users in China or elsewhere lost control of themselves.
In the late 1930s, when prices soared in Canton, most users halved their consumption to make ends meet. Obviously, spiralling addiction was not the inevitable result of smoking.

S: http://www.poppies.org/news/107114875911833.shtml

MatC
299896.  Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Britain is attempting to become self-sufficient in the growing of opium. Thousands of acres of opium poppies have been planted in the last few years, the aim being to have enough diamorphine to cope with a flu pandemic, without the need for imports.

S: Western Daily Press, 21 Aug 07

bobwilson
1100966.  Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote

Wow - I'd never even questioned the received wisdom on Morphine addiction before.

Page 1 of 1