View previous topic | View next topic

Christmas Special

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Flash
317390.  Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:33 am Reply with quote

I've never heard this either as a myth or as a debunk.

One of the posters on outer forum used to refer to "Christians" as "Xtians", I recall. I thought maybe this was an archaic convention.

Bunter
318232.  Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote

One of the (many) reasons we nod off after Christmas lunch is tryptophan, the enzyme that is present in roast turkey.

Quote:
But there is a way to take advantage of the tryptophan in turkey. If you have trouble getting to sleep one night while there's still leftover turkey in the refrigerator, you could have a late snack of turkey and that, nutritionists say, might be the right amount of tryptophan on an empty stomach to help produce some serotonin.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question5191.htm

As egg has pointed out, it's also present in cheese.

MatC
318276.  Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
c&p-ed in full from New Scientist:

Very sad to see the New Scientist so gaspingly desperate that it has to sink to this superstitious nonsense to stay afloat - the women’s magazine idea that individual foodstuffs can be “good for you” or “bad for you”. Perhaps it should change its name to New Horoscope, and have done with it?

eggshaped
319021.  Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote

Well I thought we could use the US cranberry scare as a way into this, then add the rest of the christmas dinner stuff, but with a strong nod to the ludicrousness of "good for you/bad for you" as explored in the coffee thread.

Bunter, the thing about tryptophan in turkey is a myth, I think, the amount of the substance that you'd need would mean you'd have to eat about 200 turkeys (or something to that effect).

eggshaped
328878.  Fri May 02, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote

re: Five Gold Rings.

Here is what wiki says:

Quote:
In the early 20th century, Frederic Austin wrote an arrangement where he added his melody from "Five gold(en) rings" onwards (The New Oxford Book of Carols), which has since become standard.

So it seems we may have to klaxon anything from "five gold rings" onwards. I've e-mailed Novello though, so hopefully we may have a definitive answer.

I think my uncle has a copy of the oxford book of carols, so will check that also.

Flash
328911.  Fri May 02, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote

This was originally posted by Mr Grue on the outer boards. Here's something that may or may not help:
Quote:
THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS
Largely a traditional work, but the tune accompanying the phrase 'Five Gold Rings' first appeared in an arrangement by Frederic Austin, which is owned by Novello. This 'Five Gold Rings' element is copyright! Anyone wishing to arrange this should speak to (and ask specifically for) the copyright department at Novello and Co Ltd (020 7434 0066)

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-2438.html

suze
328923.  Fri May 02, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote

EDITED as not suitable for public consumption when this forum gets opened!

Last edited by suze on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

eggshaped
332102.  Wed May 07, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote

Not successful yet, and the above number does not work.

I have been in touch with the head office, who put me through to their copyright department and then cut me off.

Have sent another e-mail, this time directed to a specific person. So we'll see....

eggshaped
332126.  Wed May 07, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote

We have lift off:

Quote:
Our records indicate the following in relation to this work:

The original tune is a traditional English tune to which Novello & Company Limited makes no claim;

Novello & Company Limited controls the copyright in Frederic Austin’s arrangement and harmonization of that traditional English tune;

Novello & Company Limited also controls the copyright in the distinctive and recurring 2-bar musical phrase which sets the words “Five Gold Rings” and this is recognized as being an original composition (please see below)

**I can't get it on here, but the e-mail had a score of the specific two bars**

The original words are regarded as traditional. It has been suggested by the editors of The New Oxford Book of Carols that “this song derives from a traditional forfeits game which was played on Twelfth Night (hence the twelve days). Each player would have to remember and recite the object named by the previous players and then add one more. The game was probably universal, but the song seems to be of Gallic origin”. Novello & Company Limited makes no claim to these original words.

As agreed with PRS, Novello & Company Limited claims 33.33% in any new arrangement of this work.

s: Novello & Co copyright department (e-mail)

Flash
332346.  Wed May 07, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Good work.

dr.bob
340782.  Wed May 21, 2008 5:45 am Reply with quote

Those two bars may be copyrighted, but isn't there some kind of limit whereby you can play a small amount of the copyrighted piece without being in breach of the copyright? I seem to recall hearing somewhere the limit was about two bars worth.

Unfortunately, googling for "music + bars" tends to result in lots of articles about music in bars, and "music + limits" tell me a lot about the 50 year limit for copyrighted music.

Jenny
340967.  Wed May 21, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote

Wikipedia has an article on this, which suggests that:

Wikipedia wrote:

Copyrighted, unlicensed music samples should generally not be longer than 30 seconds or 10% of the length of the original song, whichever is shorter. For songs under 5 minutes in length, 10% is shorter.

suze
341096.  Wed May 21, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote

That is based on American copyright law though - since the English language Wikipedia servers reside in Florida, that is the appropriate law to follow.

English copyright law is more restrictive, although the relevant law (Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended) nowhere specifies what proportion of a work may be reproduced under "fair dealing" (as it's called in England).

Two bars would probably be fine if you were using an excerpt from a copyrighted piece of music for academic purposes, but where the copyrighted part of a work is two bars in its entirety and the proposed use commercial, it's less clear.

Jenny
341942.  Thu May 22, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote

I think the first note of 'five', in the context of the rest of the song, would be sufficient to suggest it though.

MatC
342956.  Fri May 23, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote

No idea where this could fit, other than possibly xmas, but it's too nice to ignore ...

Drinking alcohol is good for you in much the same way that exercise is.

According to Dr Morten Gronbaek, an epidemiologist with the National Institute of Public Health in Denmark, in a study published in the European Heart Journal.

Both exercise and beer-drinking work on the heart in much the same way: they increase “good cholesterol,” aka high-density lipoproteins. The higher your level of these chaps, the less likely vascular disease becomes.

His team studied 12,000 beer drinkers over 20 years. They found that the best combination was exercise and alcohol. They sorted the participants into four categories:

1. Highest risk of heart disease was amongst those who don't drink and don't exercise.
2. Those who drink moderately and exercise lowered their risk by 50%.
3. Teetotallers who exercised gained a 30% decrease.
4. Moderate drinkers who don’t exercise had the same benefit as category 3.

There’s a catch ...

Dr G says:

Quote:
“You shouldn't even think about drinking until the age of 45 to 50.”

S: Allotment & Leisure Gardener, Issue 2, 2008.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next