Goto page 1, 2  Next

MatC
296038.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote

"Half of all American counties remain dry [ie, no alcohol] to this day."

S: London Review of Books, 21 Feb 08.

Is that true?

suze
296043.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote

My first thought is "no", but I think I know where to look. On the case.

suze
296065.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote

Using this page and Wiki as starting points, and taking the highest figures I can find quoted anywhere.

There are:

24 dry counties (out of 67) in Alabama
42 dry counties (out of 75) in Arkansas
5 dry counties (out of 67) in Florida
2 dry counties (out of 159) in Georgia
31 dry counties (out of 105) in Kansas
69 dry counties (out of 120) in Kentucky
20 dry counties (out of 82) in Mississippi
6 dry counties (out of 95) in Tennessee; the Jack Daniel's distillery is in one of them, but has a special dispensation to sell its products to visitors from out-of-county
46 dry counties (out of 254) in Texas
35 dry counties (out of 100) in Virginia

None in other states; indeed in seventeen states (including Utah, often erroneously claimed as dry) the state law would prevent any from being established even if anyone wanted to.

In a lot of these dry counties, there are wet cities and indeed some wet counties have dry cities (Ocean City NJ is the only one of any size). Many other parts of the USA have alcohol laws more stringent than in Britain - often, no liquor sales on Sundays - but can't be considered dry.

But on the figures used here, there are but 280 dry counties (out of a total of 3,077 counties).

MatC
296069.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote

Thanks, suze - I thought it sounded a bit strong!

In a dry county, is it illegal only to sell (or buy) alcohol? Or would it be illegal, for instance, to supply drinks to your guests at your birthday party?

suze
296085.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote

The precise laws vary all over the place, but nowhere under Federal or State jurisdiction is it an offence to consume liquor in private which was legally bought someplace else (or to consume home made liquor in places where the making is itself legal - as clearly it is in Moore County, Tennessee, since there's a seriously large distillery there).

Some Indian Reservations do ban the consumption of liquor, although in practice it would only be enforced as regards members of the Nation. (It's a serious social problem among many Native American / First Nations groups, and for the same reason a lot of the settlements in Arctic Canada are dry.)

eggshaped
309856.  Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote

Quote:
At one recently discovered site in England, drawings on the ceiling of a cave show “conga lines” of female dancers, along with drawings of animals like bison and ibex, which are known to have become extinct in England ten thousand years ago

s: DIS - citing National Geographic 18/08/2004

eggshaped
309866.  Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote

There could be something in:

Where did the 13th century English go for fun?

According to "Dancing in the Streets", churches used to be really fun places where people used to go to meet, dance and drink.

But then, the obvious answer to the question is "ye olde pub", and I guess Fred or Alf will tell me that they were commonplace around then and much more likely to be where revellry would take place.

eggshaped
309868.  Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote

Until the 18th century, most churches did not have pews, people would just mill around creating a much different dynamic to today's dour masses.

A bit like going to a gig, I suppose.

s: DIS

eggshaped
309871.  Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote

In the 9th century, bishops meeting at the council of Rome complained that women only went to church to "sing shameless songs and perform choir dances".

At the least, this stuff could be notes to the "no-one but central europeans and muslims go to church any more" stuff; if it stacks up.

eggshaped
309875.  Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote

In the 12th century, a Paris rector noted that there were some churches in which the bishops and arch-bishops played games with their parishoners and danced openly.

eggshaped
309876.  Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote

Church authorities in Wells banned dancing in 1338 citing the damage to church property, which means that the dancing must've been pretty phrenetic.

eggshaped
309921.  Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote

One tactic, used especially by the French, was to nominate a radical political leader as their carnival king, and then use the festivities as a cover for an uprising.

eggshaped
309923.  Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote

In 1740:

Quote:
A mach of futtball was cried at Ketring of five-hundred men of a side, but the design was to pull down Lady Betey Jesmaine's Mills

eggshaped
309925.  Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote

By the end of the 18th century, country folk would still show their intention of political protest by setting up a maypole. The maypoles could carry slogans as well as normal bells and ribbons.

Ian Dunn
760585.  Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote

In terms of Monopoly, here is a little interesting mathematical question.

The number you are mostly likely to roll in Monopoly is seven. Now, surpose that the only number you rolled during the entire game was seven. Under the normal Monopoly rules would you be able to land on all the spaces.

The answer is that you could not, because no matter what happens you would not be able to lane on Park Lane. This is because the space seven places before it is "Go To Jail" and once you land on this space you have to move to Jail. Also, none of the Chance or Community Chest cards allow you to advance or move to Park Lane.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next