View previous topic | View next topic

Future

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
213227.  Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:23 am Reply with quote

Moll posted a question about supercontinents last series, to which I said:

Quote:
I think it's brilliant that one day there'll be another supercontinent which will then break up again, and so on and so on.

Does anyone know is someone given the next supercontinent a name yet?

Well it turns out that it's called "Pangea Ultima".

From NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day

Quote:
About 250 million years from now, the plates are again projected to reposition themselves so that a single landmass dominates. The above simulation from the PALEAOMAP Project shows this giant landmass: Pangea Ultima. At that time, the Atlantic Ocean will be just a distant memory, and whatever beings inhabit Earth will be able to walk from North America to Africa.

pic removed to shorten page length

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0709/PangeaUltima_scotese.jpg

Last edited by eggshaped on Thu May 22, 2008 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Gray
213355.  Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote

Woohoo! We're on top of the world!

Jenny
213831.  Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote

Just remember what happened to Jimmy Cagney when he said 'top of the world ma!'

MatC
297934.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote

Not sure where to put this, or if it really adds up to anything, but it just struck me as utterly curious ...

At the end of WW2, when many consumer goods were still not available in Britain, adverts for them nonetheless appeared. At Christmas 1945, especially, all sorts of goods were advertised in newspapers and magazines even though the ads explicitly acknowledged that you couldn't yet buy them. (For instance, “Christmas waits, and so must we for ... The Crawford Tartan Shortbread.”)

I just rather like the idea of advertising stuff that isn't for sale ...

Frederick The Monk
298020.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote

Festivals, folly or fairytales might cover it. I'd never heard of this but I suppose it made sense for manufacturers to put their brand names out just to remind people they would be back - eventually. Having said that, I'd be pretty annoyed.

eggshaped
341987.  Thu May 22, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote

Things I learnt a week or two too late, number 3.

Human beings can see into the future, by about a tenth of a second:

Quote:
It takes nearly one-tenth of a second for the brain to perceive what the eyes see.

To compensate for such neural delays, he claims, the visual system has developed the ability to generate perceptions of what will occur one-tenth of a second into the future.

It is due to this quality of the visual system that when an observer actually perceives something, it is the present rather than what happened one-tenth of a second ago.

...whatever that means

Times of India

Page 1 of 1