View previous topic | View next topic

Fear

Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

eggshaped
291855.  Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:57 am Reply with quote

Re: cheese nightmares.

I'm sure I posted this a couple of years ago, but I can't find it now. But anyway, there was a study that PROVED that cheese doesn't give you nightmares.

This fully impartial information brought to you courtesy of the British Cheese Board

Quote:
The in-depth Cheese & Dreams study, a first of its kind, reveals that eating cheese before bed will [...] aid a good night’s sleep.

Of the 200 volunteers who participated in the week-long study, 72% slept well every night, 67% remembered their dreams and none recorded experiencing nightmares after eating a 20g piece of cheese half an hour before going to sleep.

One of the amino acids in cheese – tryptophan – has been shown to reduce stress and induce sleep so cheese may actually help you have a good night’s sleep,” says Dr Judith Bryans, Nutrition Scientist at The Dairy Council.

furthermore:

Quote:
Different cheeses will in fact cause different types of dreams.

85% of females who ate Stilton had some of the most unusual dreams of the whole study. 65% of people eating Cheddar dreamt about celebrities, over 65% of participants eating Red Leicester revisited their schooldays, all female participants who ate British Brie had nice relaxing dreams whereas male participants had cryptic dreams, two thirds of all those who ate Lancashire had a dream about work and over half of Cheshire eaters had a dreamless sleep.

I know Mat is going to get all sweary about the pointlessness of this study, but we've got to use the fact that different cheeses give you different dreams. I think it's hilarious.

MatC
291863.  Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:02 am Reply with quote

Could we test it on the panel? Ask each of them to eat a particualr cheese the night before the recording, and to keep a note of their dreams?

MatC
291939.  Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote

The military authorities at the Guantanamo Bay concentration camp hold huge amounts of poetry written by, and confiscated from, inmates. Camp rules ban the writing of poetry. A spokesman explains that poetry “presents a special risk” to national security because of its “content and format.”

S: Morning Star, 13 Feb 08

Flash
291986.  Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote

Well, this is all very good. We should definitely give them a cheeseboard and ask them to report their dreams if they nod off during the recording.

And Mat, I like the poetry confiscation thing too. Does the Morning Star say how it knows about this?

Flash
291998.  Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote

Something here:
Quote:
Inmates were forbidden pens or papers during Dost's first year in captivity. So he found a novel solution - polystyrene teacups. "I would scratch a few lines on to a cup with a spoon. If you held it up to the light you could read it," he said. "But when the guards collected the trash they threw them away."

It was only when prison authorities provided awkward rubbery pens - so soft they could not be used as weapons - that Dost wrote in earnest. His themes were love of his homeland, poetry and his children, and especially his hope of release.

Sitting in his library, he quoted a couplet from a favourite poem: "Handcuffs befit brave young men/Bangles are for spinsters or pretty young ladies."

Dost lampooned his military captors, mocking what he perceived as ridiculous - women with men's haircuts, men without beards. "In the American army I could not see a real man," he said. "And they talk rudely about homosexuals, which is very shameful to us."

The satires delighted fellow inmates, who passed them from cage to cage using a pulley system fashioned from prayer cap threads. Some even passed Dost their two-sheet paper allowance so he could write some more. But invariably the poems were confiscated during cell searches.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/apr/03/guantanamo.books

MatC
292003.  Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote

Flash, this was in a review by Karl Dallas of a book published by the University of Iowa Press: “Poems from Guantanamo, the detainees speak”. I’m guessing that the facts quoted come from the introduction to the book - though as far as I can see, that’s not explicitly said. But the bits I put in speech marks were thus in the MS article, which implies that.

The whole article is here:
miniurl

This is rather extraordinary: “The military authorities hold nearly 25,000 lines of poetry written by a single inmate and it is to be hoped that they have not been destroyed.”

Poems are smuggled out on bits of paper and on polystyrene cups, which naturally inclines them to a conciseness of style.

MatC
294533.  Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote

A book review in Fortean Times 228 quotes from the “Bill of Mortality” for London, week beginning 13 June 1665; one of the causes of death listed is “Frighted.”

Bob - can you still die of fear in this country?

dr.bob
294817.  Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote

Dammit, Jim, I'm an astrophysicist, not a doctor :)

eggshaped
294825.  Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote

Check this out from '99 Mat:

Quote:
Scientists are launching a study to try to predict which people are in danger of dying from fright.

According to New Scientist magazine, researchers are now convinced that there is some truth in the old saying "I was scared to death".

In some cases, the body's own fight-or-flight response to danger appears to backfire and stop the heart completely. It may also trigger fatal heart attacks.

More in the article about actually studies into this phenomonon.

MatC
294844.  Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote

So, can it appear on a modern death cert, as cause of death?

Flash
294920.  Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote

Also, can someone who is otherwise sane be 'driven mad' by frightful experiences?

MatC
297435.  Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote

Quote:
“Britain plagued with 80 million rats,” spreading Weil’s disease, salmonella and tuberculosis, screamed a recent tabloid headline. Who says and who counted, you may ask. Not surprisingly, Rentokil UK, “Britain's leading provider of pest control,” provided the info.

S: Book review (Morning Star, 10 March 08) of “Risk: the science and the politics of fear” by Dan Gardner (Virgin, 2008).

Frederick The Monk
297754.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quote

One for the arachnophobes....According to the New York Times the world's largest spider's web had been found in Texas:

Quote:
WILLS POINT, Tex., Aug. 29 — Most spiders are solitary creatures. So the discovery of a vast web crawling with millions of spiders that is spreading across several acres of a North Texas park is causing a stir among scientists, and park visitors.

Sheets of web have encased several mature oak trees and are thick enough in places to block out the sun along a nature trail at Lake Tawakoni State Park, near this town about 50 miles east of Dallas.

The gossamer strands, slowly overtaking a lakefront peninsula, emit a fetid odor, perhaps from the dead insects entwined in the silk. The web whines with the sound of countless mosquitoes and flies trapped in its folds.

Mike Quinn, the state biologist who distributed the online photos, and who runs a Web site about Texas invertebrates, plans to drive to the park from Central Texas on Friday in an effort to get some answers by collecting samples.

Whatever caused the vast web, the sight of it has inspired both awe and revulsion.

“It’s beautiful,” said the park’s superintendent, Donna Garde.

Freddie Gowin disagrees. It was Mr. Gowin, a maintenance worker at the park, who discovered the web this month when, taking advantage of some of the first dry weather, he mowed the area around the nature trail.

“I don’t think there’s anything pretty about it,” he said, though “it’s certainly unusual.”

MatC
298653.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:06 am Reply with quote

An example of mass panic:

In a village near Leeds, in 1806, a hen began to lay eggs on which were inscribed the words “Christ is coming.” Great numbers of people visited the hen, inspected its ominous eggs, and became very religious - praying and repenting, ahead of the obviously imminent Second Coming and Day of Judgement.

Some sceptics, however, managed to witness the emergence of one of the miraculous eggs, and “ascertained beyond doubt that the egg had been inscribed with some corrosive ink, and cruelly forced up again into the bird’s body.”

“At this explanation, those who had prayed, now laughed, and the world wagged as merrily as of yore.”

S: “Extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of crowds” by Charles Mackay (Wordsworth Editions, 1995).

MatC
298659.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote

Another:

In 1761, two earthquakes were felt in London, sufficient to bring down a few chimneys. A soldier in the Life Guards, named Bell, noticed that the shocks were exactly a month apart, and thus predicted a third - which would lead to the destruction of London - for April 5th.

As the day approached, more and more people joined an exodus from the city to surrounding villages, such as Islington, Hampstead, Harrow, Blackheath and Highgate. Those who could afford it paid for lodgings - at exorbitant prices - while those who couldn't, set up refugee tent villages.

When London was not destroyed - and after waiting a decent interval, just in case Bell’s calculations had been slightly off - people returned to their homes. Bell carried on making predictions, but no-one believed him now and he soon ended up in a lunatic asylum.

S: “Extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of crowds” by Charles Mackay (Wordsworth Editions, 1995).

Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next