View previous topic | View next topic

Feminism

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

dr.bob
295925.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
Are women (or men,come to that) banned from any summer Olympic events?

Don't know about "banned", but there's certainly a men's 50km walk with no corresponding event for women (both sexes have a 20km walk event).

Men have a decathlon where women have a heptathlon. Perhaps organisers thought their pretty little heads couldn't cope with counting up to 10.

Flash
295950.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote

I don't know about the merits of this particular case, but in principle if you regard "men's ski jump" and "women's ski jump" as different events and one of them is not competed for at a level which justifies Olympic status then it seems to me reasonable to exclude it.

MatC
295961.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote

This is how the Let Women Jump campaign answer Flash (or, "Public Enemy Number One," as they call him):

Quote:
Myth: There are not enough women ski jumping for it to be included in the Olympic
Winter Games.
Fact: Over 130 women from 16 nations are registered as international competitors with
the International Ski Federation (FIS). Hundreds more compete in their own countries at
the national and club levels.
Myth: Women are not good enough to compete at the World Cup level.
Fact: The FIS Continental Cup format is used for the elite level of women's international
competition. In 2004 organizers from ski jumping nations chose to forgo asking the FIS
for a Women's World Cup tour in order to reduce production costs and facilitate growth
in the sport.
Myth: Women's ski jumping is not developed enough. There is not enough "universality"
Fact: 16 Nations (AUT, CAN, CZE, FIN, FRA, GER, ITA, JAP, NED, NOR, POL, RUS,
SLO, SWE, SUI, & USA) have women registered as international competitors with the
FIS. This season’s Continental Cup tour will include 25 events hosted by 8 countries in
Europe, North America, and Asia.
Myth: Only a few women athletes can jump respectably.
Fact: 35 different athletes from 9 nations have placed within the top 10 in FIS
Continental Cup competition during the past two seasons. The depth of field parallels
the men's tour.

suze
295976.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
Are women (or men,come to that) banned from any summer Olympic events?

There are Olympic sports which are not contested by women, yes. And indeed there are sports which are not contested by men.

Baseball, boxing (and quite rightly so, imo), and wrestling are contested only by men. Rhythmic gymnastics (that's the one where they perform gymnastic routines using a ribbon and a ball), softball, and synchronized swimming are contested only by women.

As we've already noted, the equestrian events are open and the shooting events used to be. It turns out that five of the sailing events are officially open as well - although only men seem actually to take part. All the same, don't large yachts of the sort that race in the America's Cup sometimes have mixed crews?

MatC
295990.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote

There's a girls' version of baseball ... ???

Flash
296016.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote

Rounders.

eggshaped
313953.  Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote

Women are discriminated against in almost every country around the world

70% of the world's poor are women and they own just 1% of the world's titled land.

From the UN, reported here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7331813.stm

MatC
323191.  Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote

I was suspicious, but Snopes insists this is genuine: it’s advice to managers in the (US) transportation industry on how to deal with the regrettable necessity of hiring women as workers during WW2. The whole text is worth a look, but here are some edited highlights:

Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees: There's no longer any question whether transit companies should hire women for jobs formerly held by men. The draft and manpower shortage has settled that point. The important things now are to select the most efficient women available and how to use them to the best advantage.

1. Pick young married women. They usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they're less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn't be doing it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with the public efficiently.

2. When you have to use older women, try to get ones who have worked outside the home at some time in their lives. Older women who have never contacted the public have a hard time adapting themselves and are inclined to be cantankerous and fussy.

3. General experience indicates that "husky" girls - those who are just a little on the heavy side - are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.

4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination - one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.

Numerous properties say that women make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but that they lack initiative in finding work themselves.

8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a day.

9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can't shrug off harsh words the way men do. Never ridicule a woman - it breaks her spirit and cuts off her efficiency.

S: http://home.tiac.net/~cri_d/cri/2000/women1943.html

MatC
332755.  Thu May 08, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote

In 1945, there was much debate about whether women should continue to work in the “men’s jobs” - in factories and so on - that they had been doing during the war; and whether women who did go out to work should receive equal pay. There were both men and women on both sides of the discussion; one woman told Mass Observation:

Quote:
I do feel that equal pay will upset the relations between the sexes. Personally I like a man to have much more money than me. It gives me twice as much pleasure to have a book or dress bought for me by a kindly male than to buy it for myself - and this is not because I am a gold-digger, but because I am feminine.

S: Maureen Waller, as before.

Jenny
332976.  Thu May 08, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Wikipedia has an interesting article about Rosie the Riveter, which includes some info on the original, although she was heavily fictionalised:

Wikipedia wrote:
Rosie the Riveter was most closely associated with a real woman, Rose Will Monroe, who was born in Coppell, Texas in 1920 and moved to Michigan during World War II. She worked as a riveter at the Willow Run Aircraft Factory in Ypsilanti, Michigan, building B-29 and B-24 bombers for the U.S. Army Air Forces. Monroe was asked to star in a promotional film about the war effort at home, and was featured in a poster campaign. The song "Rosie the Riveter" by Redd Evans and John Jacob Loeb was released in early 1943,[1] and Monroe happened to best fit the description of the worker depicted in the song.[2] Rose went on to become perhaps the most widely recognized icon of that era. The films and posters she appeared in were used by the U.S. government to encourage women to go to work in support of the war effort.

According to the Encyclopedia of American Economic History, the "Rosie the Riveter" movement increased the number of working American women to 20 million by 1944, a 57% increase from 1940.[2]

eggshaped
333138.  Fri May 09, 2008 5:37 am Reply with quote

The majority of Africa's farmers are women

s: New Scientist (current issue)

MatC
333553.  Sat May 10, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote

Same source (Waller) quotes a woman speaking at a debate organised by the Hampstead Citizens’ Society: “If women were given equal status, it might mean buying one’s own chocolates and paying for one’s own seat in the cinema.”

eggshaped
378965.  Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 am Reply with quote

suze
803984.  Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
Which is the only Winter Olympics event that women are still banned from?

Ski jumping ....

http://www.wsj2010.com:80/

Just by the by three years later ...

It has today been announced that women will ski jump in the 2014 Winter Olympics.

sjb
804007.  Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Yay! :) Ski jumping is one of my favorite winter events.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next