Flash
286296.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote

Flash
286298.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:28 am Reply with quote

Flash
286301.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote

MatC
295760.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:48 am Reply with quote

Re “The harder a wife works the cuter she looks ...” here’s an extract from something I wrote in a different context:

Quote:
Women who keep tidy, clean houses are less likely to get breast cancer than those who don’t, according to a study by the Medical Research Council. The reason being that house work is good exercise. (Daily Telegraph, 29 Dec 06).
But a doctor from Cheltenham - in a letter to the Daily Telegraph (2 Jan 07) - was scathing. She saw the advice as being intended to put women “back in the kitchen.” She pointed out that “neither occupational nor recreational exercise” can give any protection whatsoever from breast cancer. However, as she spotted, the amount of housework a woman does is likely to increase “with the number of children living in the home.” It’s well-established that having children and breastfeeding offers protection from breast cancer - so the women doing the most housework are likely to be those with the most children, and it’s the latter that protects them; but the MRC had chosen to see the protection as coming from the penance of housework.

MatC
295763.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:49 am Reply with quote

Which is the only Winter Olympics event that women are still banned from?

Ski jumping ....

http://www.wsj2010.com:80/

Flash
295774.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:03 am Reply with quote

I can't get the "Get the Facts" link on that site to work. What reason is given for not letting them jump, do we know?

Flash
295776.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:06 am Reply with quote

Wiki:
Quote:
On November 28, 2006, the proposal was rejected by the Executive Board of the IOC. The reason for the rejection cited the low number of athletes as well as few participating countries in the sport. The Executive Board noted that women's ski jumping has yet to be fully established internationally. Currently there are 135+ athlete competing on an international level, which is more than snowcross, ski cross, bobsleigh, skeleton, and luge. Jacques Rogge, president of the International Olympic Committee states that they don't allow women ski jumpers in the Olympics because "We do not want the medals to be diluted and watered down." Meanwhile, the current record holder on Vancouver's 90m Olympic hill is US female jumper Lindsey Van. It is against Federal and Provincial Law in Canada to use taxpayers money to fund for facilities that discriminate. Canada used taxpayers' money to build the Olympic Jumps in Vancouver.

Flash
295783.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote

Are there any Olympic sports in which women and men simply compete against each other without reference to sex at all? I wouldn't count tennis mixed doubles because that specifies the gender makeup of each pair, but there must be sports in which the sex of the competitor is simply irrelevant?

On edit: the equestrian events, I guess.

Last edited by Flash on Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Flash
295789.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote

The ancient Olympics were male-only, but there was a separate women's event, the Heraea Games:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraea_Games

eggshaped
295792.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote

I thought that korfball was famously advertised as the only sport that men and women can play together. In which case, I wouldn't think that there are any olympic sports which fit into this category.

There have been women that have played in mens golf tournaments, Michelle Wie for one certainly has, and I think Annika Sorenstam did as well.

Flash
295796.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:22 am Reply with quote

I just slipped in an edit above - I think they do equestrian events on an equal footing, don't they? And I can't think of any reason why rifle and clay pigeon shooters should be differentiated.

What's korfball?

suze
295800.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:25 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Are there any Olympic sports in which women and men simply compete against each other without reference to sex at all?

The equestrian events - dressage, show jumping, and the three-day event. They were open only to men until 1948 (and indeed, the men had to be Officers), but since then anyone can take part and they don't have separate events for men and women. Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips have both represented the UK in the three-day event.

The events involving guns used to be mixed sex as well, but they now have separate competitions for men and women. Surely they didn't make the change just because a woman took a gold medal (Chinese shooter Zhan Shan, who is female, took gold in clay pigeon shooting in 1992)...

Oh yea, korfball. It's a bit like netball, and is played by teams of eight, four men and four women. Very popular in Belgium and the Netherlands; rather obscure everywhere else.

Last edited by suze on Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Flash
295801.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote

Re korfball: looked it up for myself. It isn't gender-blind, though:
Quote:
Men and women play side by side. But while women are equal in the tactics of the game, duels are man to man and woman to woman. One man may guard one man and one woman may guard one woman. So it's not two against one and a woman may not defend a man nor may a man defend a woman.

Last edited by Flash on Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total

eggshaped
295803.  Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote

Korfball is a dutch game that is a mixture between netball and basketball. I think it's a pretty crappy sport whose only redeeming feature is its equality.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next