View previous topic | View next topic

Scottish money isn't real

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Zaphod Beeblebrox
286394.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:28 am Reply with quote

Is that an Americanism? I thought it was an accepted term this side of the pond...

AndyMcH
286414.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote

I have never heard "A 10 pound bill" - it would be far more common to hear "10 pound note"

itch
286424.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote

Well I work damn hard for my money and woe betide anyone who tells me it's not good enough! Refusing Scottish notes is nothing less than snobbery! I've had a few English shopkeepers tell me "there are more fake Scottish notes going round". Well how do they know? What evidence do they have to back this statement. None, would be my guess. Like I said - snobs the lot of them!

AndyMcH
286443.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote

To defend the refusal of scottish notes....

I am Scottish myself, but in the pub I used to help run we decided not to take scottish money as we had been told that there were a lot of forgeries around at the time, and it was easy to pass them off onto shops and pubs because not many staff new what they were meant to look like, especially as all the different banks have their own notes.

djgordy
286572.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
At the back of the bookshop (where they sell books) is the bookstore (where they store the books).

No, that would be the stockroom.

itch
286613.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote

TubewayAndy wrote:
To defend the refusal of scottish notes....

I am Scottish myself, but in the pub I used to help run we decided not to take scottish money as we had been told that there were a lot of forgeries around at the time, and it was easy to pass them off onto shops and pubs because not many staff new what they were meant to look like, especially as all the different banks have their own notes.

I suppose with the differences in notes from all the banks it can be hard to tell the fakes but don't most places have a UV light or a magic pen of some sort? How do you tell when an English note is fake? The funny thing is when you try to spend a pound note in England (it's only the clydesdale bank who still make them). Most people will look at you like you've tried to pay with buttons lol :-P

PDR
286614.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
At the back of the bookshop (where they sell books) is the bookstore (where they store the books).

Only in the old-fashioned, inefficient ones. Modern, low-overheads business practices would see the books delivered on a "Just in time, minimum inventory" system wherein the books were unpacked and put on the shelves as soon as they were received at the shop, with no costly "holding pen" bteween the wholesaler and the retail opportunity site.

:0)

PDR

samivel
286627.  Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote

I wonder when it'll come to pass that 'retail opportunity site' will be turned into a verb meaning 'shopping'.

jim-stock
734975.  Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quote

The information given on wikipedia is certainly true

Efros
734985.  Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:36 am Reply with quote

I can remember being in a pub in Nottingham and deliberately breaking a 10 pound note, Scottish one of course, every time I went to the bar because of the filthy look the barman gave me. "Fuck him", I thought I'm on holiday and I got a wallet full of these things!

suze
734992.  Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote

As it happens, my husband was in a pub in Nottingham when he txted me ten minutes ago (he's on his way home from a visit to his father, and has a little while to wait for his train).

He didn't mention attempting to spend a Scottish banknote though, so I imagine he used the Bank of England kind.

Schlubalybub
735655.  Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote

My dad often sends me money- scottish banknotes usually, and I've not had much trouble spending them. The only time I did was in Boots- but they hated me anyway, the security guards were always following me round the place...

Posital
735696.  Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote

jim-stock wrote:
The information given on wikipedia is certainly true
we can soon remedy that... snigger...

dougptfc
762383.  Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote

I don't think any money is real. if you look at a note it says its a promise. promises can be broken.

Efros
762408.  Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote

Take them up on the promise and they'll give you a brand new note of the same denomination.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next