View previous topic | View next topic

Fluck me!

Page 1 of 1

Stig
237239.  Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote

Diana Dors (1931-1984) was Britain’s answer to the ‘blonde bombshells’ of Hollywood –Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield and Mamie Van Doren – also known as The Three Ms.

Born in Swindon, Wiltshire, Dors was christened Diana Mary Fluck. Upon entering showbusiness she was asked to change her name (in Dors’s own words) ‘I suppose they were afraid that if my real name, Diana Fluck, was in lights, and one of the lights blew ...’ There is also a story, recounted in her autobiography, where she was asked to open a fete in her home town of Swindon. Before proceedings began, she had lunch with the local Vicar who was due to introduce her. During the course of the conversation she revealed her birth name. The Vicar became worried that he would mispronounce her name and cause embarrassment so spent an hour or so fretting and rehearsing what he would say. He then marched out onto the stage and introduced Dors with the immortal words:

‘Ladies and gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you our star guest. We all love her, especially as she is our local girl. I therefore feel it right to introduce her by her real name; Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome the very lovely Miss Diana Clunt.’

At 20 years old, Diana Dors became the youngest person (at the time) in the UK to own a brand new Rolls Royce. Her career took off in 1951 with the film Lady Godiva Rides Again …but for all the wrong reasons.

The film was a light-hearted and altogether innocent film about beauty pageants. However, the American Board of Film Censors did not agree and banned the film from US cinemas … because Diana Dors’ navel was visible. Suddenly Diana Dors was big news. The story ran in all of the papers and soon caught the notice of a man called Robert Lippert who decided that here was an opportunity to cash in on the controversy and turn Diana Dors into an international sex-symbol. The rest, as they say, is history.

Diana Dors’ life story could fill a round in itself but I will leave you with just a few interesting facts about her. Firstly, she was chosen by artist Peter Blake to be one of the iconic figures for his Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album cover for the Beatles. Secondly, she was a close friend of Ruth Ellis, the last woman to be hanged in the UK (Ellis actually made a cameo appearance in Lady Godiva Rides Again four years before she was executed by Albert Pierrepoint). And thirdly … no one can find Diana Dors’ missing millions.

Before she died, Dors claimed to have hidden two million pounds in banks across Europe. Knowing that she had ovarian cancer, she gave her son Mark a piece of paper upon which was a code that would lead him to the money after her death. Diana was an avid crossword fan – she would have enjoyed Adrian Bell’s cryptic Times Crossword – and delighted in codes and ciphers. She had lodged the key to translating the coded message with her husband, Alan Lake. However, Lake then committed suicide five months after Diana died without revealing the key. Son Alan was therefore left with a meaningless page of apparently meaningless letters and numbers. Dawson then contacted cryptographers to solve the mystery and the boffins at Inforenz discovered that the code was the Vigenère cipher. Using a decryption key based on a ten letter code (in this case it turned out to be DMARYFLUCK), they decoded the message. This was a list of names and locations across the UK. The first name led them to a bank statement found among the late Alan Lake’s papers … but there was insufficient further detail to trace the money any further. It has been suggested that there may have been another sheet of paper that may have given bank details to match the names and locations but nobody knows. The money is still lost …

She HAS to be worth at least ONE question in Series F!

swot
237686.  Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:58 am Reply with quote

That's fantastically interesting. :)

Tas
237689.  Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:01 am Reply with quote

I thought it was only QI

:-)

Tas

Half-Daft
237720.  Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:44 am Reply with quote

Stig wrote:

Secondly, she was a close friend of Ruth Ellis, the last woman to be hanged in the UK (Ellis actually made a cameo appearance in Lady Godiva Rides Again four years before she was executed by Albert Pierrepoint).

This is interesting in that her 1956 film "Yield To The Night", where Diana Dors plays a woman who is to be hanged after committing murder, was apparently loosely based around the Ruth Ellis story.

jaygeemack
237724.  Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:46 am Reply with quote

I thought it was between QI and FI.

Sebastian flyte
241052.  Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:02 am Reply with quote

That is really interesting. Should get a question on the show!

Mr Grue
242150.  Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote

One of course ought also to mention Messrs Fluck and Law, the chaps what done Spitting Image. They formed a company but Law insisted it be called Luck and Flaw.

qiuseruk1
801472.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get a printout of the decoded text please?

Page 1 of 1